H.M. Schooner Fair Rosamund, the compact version

how to make a gaff boom thingie...in two steps

guess_zpse0rarm5e.jpg

Glue bits of wood to sides of gaff,

gaffgaff_zpsbatznakk.jpg

Grind and carve away all the bits that don't look like gaff jaws....simple. Sort of.

• Like 3

I don't know where this link really ought to go, but it is invaluable. Found it ages ago and printed it out, just found it again, having misplaced it... It's about actual practice in laying out the runs of a wooden deck. A Mexican guy, Ulises Victoria posted this on Model ship builder. It's very clear and when I started the (on hold) large version of Fair Rosamund I used it to lay out the deck. Here is the link

plank-bow.jpg

• Like 2

Yep have that, but thought it was universally known.

Know the guy, sent him some plans ( in French of 1/100 Victory)and he sent me these deck plans.

Good to see it here.

Nice bit o decking seadog mate.

foxy :coolio:

Fraser you wood working skills are way better than I could hope to achieve in plastic scratch building cracking bit of decking :popcorn::popcorn:

Beefy

It is, I think, generally easier to work in than plastic, but it depends on the type of ship as well! Case in point my MTB, Though I could have done the hull in thin ply....

Yep have that, but thought it was universally known.

Know the guy, sent him some plans ( in French of 1/100 Victory)and he sent me these deck plans.

Good to see it here.

Nice bit o decking seadog mate.

foxy :coolio:

I only ran across it a few years ago, and thanks. Decks are satisfying to do.

Truly amazing workmanship here Fraser

First the boat, then the decking but Joggling the planks. I've just been back and checked it is 1/144 scale your working in.

Thank you for sharing your work with us

Decking link saved against the day.....

Book arrived today. My idea of a good read/reference material.

Kev

Superb work... did a double take too when I saw your photo of the decking... thought for a minute it was your 1/144 build !! :gobsmacked:

LOL. No way Jose! I may tend towards obsessive but.....

Truly amazing workmanship here Fraser

First the boat, then the decking but Joggling the planks. I've just been back and checked it is 1/144 scale your working in.

Thank you for sharing your work with us

Decking link saved against the day.....

Book arrived today. My idea of a good read/reference material.

Kev

Actually, Joggling isn't really as difficult as it would seem, there's simple rules about it and a careful hand with the scalpel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great work you have the patience of a saint, and the skill of a master boat builder.

Kind words, but it's not so. I have some patience, but not a lot. I also really think, that at his scale anyway, the skills bear absolutely no relation to those of a shipwright. It's a whole 'nother thing, I reckon. Hope to put up some progress a bit later today...watch this space.

Some progress...

Started work detailing the masts prior to raising them. Mast hoops are necessary, even if you aren't putting on sails, they outta be there, allegedly - they weren't on my first build. I got the method I used from Philip Reed's book. Basically, you roll brown gummed tape around a bit of dowel slightly larger than the mast, making sure you don't stick the first wind to the dowel...trust me. When the roll has dried you can cut of rings. by rolling a scalpel over the tape roll, close to it's end....not so very easy to get nice, thin rolls at this scale. I did a large one as well to see how that went...much easier. When you cut them off, you dip 'em into thin CA which hardens them up. If necessary, you can then rub them on some wet'ndry to thin them.

hoops_zpsdndjru70.jpg

They come out quite well, I think. Before this I soldered flattened copper wire into hoops, which also works.

Next is a disaster from Saturday. Got the whole bowsprit, jibboom, running jibboom rigged and promptly broke it...so much for linear progress...

bowrig_zpsp3eilqdc.jpg

The other task I got going on was the foremast top. The one was doing earlier was somewhat too big so I'm redoing it. Paper and CA again.

top_zpsqbzromz5.jpg

• Like 1

Drove over to Sandown this morning a picked up some brass rod of various sizes from the model railway shop there...probably more reasonable choice when the spar in question comes out at a millimetre or less. Wood, even DeGame or Box is a tad fragile that small...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Right, been a bit busy with other stuff, notably illustrations for a friend's book and a spell of being somewhat under the weather. Anyway I haven't been totally idle. I've been trying to work out the best way to do the shrouds and ratlines. Bob Wilson and Philip Reed use similar ways of producing prefab shroud and ratline assemblies: Bob solders and Reed glues. So Iset about learning either or both techniques. Made a few different jigs and started in.

rigging-bits_4_zpsr9xvwuiy.jpg

rigging-bits_2_zpsbggffqpf.jpg

rigging-bits_3_zps14r3cdtf.jpg

The results weren't, to put it mildly, up to scratch. I won't go into all the ways you can screw up these techniques, but I think I hit 'em all. So what I shall have a shot at next, being as I'm working at the comparatively large scale of 1/144th, is to having a shot at semi-traditional get the masts up rig shrouds, and then put on the ratlines, glued, not tied. We'll see.

Before I can put up the masts there are bits that need putting on, namely hoops and spider bands with their belaying pins. This involves twisting .25mm wire into eyebolts, through which a tiny bit of .5 wire gets glued to represent a belaying pin.Then touching it all up with a bit of black paint...

rigging-bits_zpsjeceks6f.jpg

rigging-bits_1_zpsibp4xt2e.jpg

More soonish... :)

• Like 4

The masts are now up, all of the main and the lower fore...

mastjig_zpsvrppcnul.jpg

masts-up_zpsfrs31tsd.jpg

And the anchors have been weighed, catted and stowed.

anchorsaweigh_zpskyyo9ond.jpg

So no more excuses time to start rigging....

• Like 2