H.M. Schooner Fair Rosamund, the compact version

The drill is one of their 12 volt efforts and the press is the heavier of two. The mains drill might have been a better option. The xy table was bought separately and is well worth having. I think the main thing is to get everything lined up as well  as you can. If you should win the lottery or summat they do what looks like a nice drill/ milling machine...if only. My time has been taken up with painting, sent some stuff off to be considered for the RSMA Open show..well, nothing ventured and I did sneak a couple in some years ago. There's also a Studio Open Doors thing in July I'm trying to get sorted for. Gotta laugh when you consider that my 'studio' is one corner of the garage. Oh for a spacious shed of me own...dream on. Aftwer that I'll try to stop procrastinating and get on with Fair Rosy...

19 hours ago, Reconcilor said:

Thanks for that, it's likely that I'll end up doing something with sails one day so that's good to know. They look very convincing on your schooner.

You're welcome and good luck!

• Like 1

Back at it again...slowly. I spent the last few days putting up the head sails. This meant making more blocks and spinning up more wire rope. I'm pleased with the way they've come out. Thinking about the photbucket debacle, I'm now starting to put the pictures up on my paid-for website. So as long as I keep the website going I should be OK... I've created a page for her and a finished page for Scottish Maid. I still have quite a few images to sort... The ones you can see are on flikr, but how long that will last.... Oops hotlinking from my website didn't work...back to flikr for now.

Now I have to get on with more blocks and rope because it's square sails and yards next... six sails and five yards, if I'm not mistaken, and a helluva lot of rigging. Next one will be something with a much simpler rig and at a larger scale, I think. Ta for looking.

fr-02

Edited by seadog
Picture didn't work
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Churchill said:

The picture in post #178 is visible on my android phone. Such a shame most of the rest aren't, I'd love to see this one coming together.

I'm gradually transferring my pics from PB to somewhere else so I can replace them....slowly!

• Like 2

Spent the morning tracing the square sails from the museum draft and putting in the lines of the cloths... tedious but there y' go eh? It would be a lot more tedious without Xara!

sails

• Like 2

Yes. Layout paper is good because it's acid free, thin and will stretch to a compound curve. I didn't tint the sails for Fair Rosalind. On Scottish Maid I used a tiny bit of yellow ochre in a lot of Matt acrylic medium. Sara is a very good program for this kind of thing as it's simple to use and pretty accurate

• Thanks 1

Righto...trying to get a 'belly' into the fore course. Not going too well yet, split two and the third looks a bit sad. The matt medium helps to stiffen the sails.

sail-stretch

Realising that I was going to need quite a few blocks, and that the 3d printed ones I bought ar really a bit too small I decided to bite the bullet and get stuck into a bit of factory work, so most of today was spent sizing and drilling strips of DeGame for blocks...tedious but necessary.

drilling

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, seadog said:

trying to get a 'belly' into the fore course

Good to see progress. I've been wondering about how to get a belly in the sails. Not tried it but I was wondering about using a ballon and spraying with some form of medium to add stiffness....

Kev

A balloon might well work not sure about drying off the sail in situ with a hairdryer though... I use a large plastic bowl. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ah, well, kind of stalled. I've been having real problems producing and then handling blocks small enough to be reasonable. It has also dawned on me that I never sorted out all the sail handling tackle that should have been in place BEFORE I started hanging drapery... there should be a few blocks stropped below the mast top on each side - buntlines, clew lines etc. I'm not sure that I can actually do it now, both from a standpoint of accessibility - it could necessitate a near complete re-do of the rigging to get at it. Not sure I can face it. My motor skills are slipping. I keep dropping bits. Built a placcy airplane to get in the mood  and got glue everywhere. My fault, all of it I should not have gone for 1/144th. It's big enough to need blocks and not small enough to rely on blobs of glue. My initial inclination was to do it in 1/72nd scale, after all, it's only 83' on deck. Not much bigger than a Vosper and smaller than a dog boat. Should have gone for it.  I'm having real problems with my back at the moment, just to make sitting at my work bench more interesting too. For the future...not too sure either. My Fret saw died and my band saw had to be left in Portugal - haven't got space for one here. So chopping out wood for a hull is, to put it simply, a problem. 

• Sad 1

Oooopps !!

Sorry Fraser gone and jumped right in it ..... :poop:

When you left Portugal you should have turned right not left.

I know where you're coming from with the deterioration of the body parts, still there are plenty who would like to alive to complain  

Needless to say if there is anything I can do, let me know.

Is there anyone out there on the Isle of Wight with a  band saw and/or fretsaw

Kev

Not at all. If you want to be alive, getting old is the only way to do it. That witticism  was a favourite with our doctor in Portugal... I  need to sell a few paintings (ha!) And get something useful like a Hegner.....

• Haha 1

I've also been looking speculatively at my incomplete Vosper scratch and thinking appreciatively about it's very limited rigging. 😁

• Haha 1

As to the Hegners, there've been a couple of used ones at a slightly less impossible price, but buyer collects....way up north or whatever. It's one of the disadvantages of living on the Wight, the extortionate ferry crossing...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Third time. Not repairable now. Either I try to use my wood lathe to make a new topmast out of a bit of brass rod - probably how it should have been done in the first pace - or I pack it in, Tempting. The big lesson in all of this shambles is: If you're nuts enough to work this sort of scale, EVERYTHING needs to be planned out. Think what needs to be where, before other stuff gets done, making those things imbloodypossible to get to, like getting all your blocks that need to be on the mast on before further rigging. You don't, after all, get a set of instructions to ignore with a scratch-build. Might have gotten away with it at a larger scale, say 1/72nd....but 1?144th? Nuh-uh!

bugger.jpg

• Sad 1