H.M. Schooner Fair Rosamund, the compact version

Thought I should add a pic of the ship so you'll know what I'm after...

23556250818_b3a3c8071e_b.jpgfair ros_zpsdrqaxkju by Fraser, on Flickr

A while back I started a WIP of a somewhat modified version of Occre's 1/53rd scale Dos Amigos/Fair Rosamund. Ir's now rather on the back boiler as the damn thing is huge... So I have begun again at the borderline miniature scale of 1/12th" to the foot - 1/!44th scale. I think this is about as small as I can go, at present anyway. I've als been hemming and hawing about doing a WIP as I'm not terribly sure I can pull it off. Then I thought "Oh, what the hell, go for it" Total disasters are a learning thingie as well. So here we go. The hull actually got carved while we were still in Portugal, Then sorting out the place, selling it, packing up looking for a new house in the UK - viewed 58 in all - and then moving, building flatpack furniture, unpacking, discovering that most of my aircraft models were damaged beyond repair and actually sorting a working area have taken up a good few months. *Deep Breath*.

Anyway...

f-ros_3_zpsmfqutdlb (1)

f-ros_zps7jfdzlwf

base_zpsygoilxok

fair-ros_3_zpsiccy5gtq

If you're interested, her history is here

Thanks for looking,

F

• Like 8

Looks very nice, and a bit different to be making something from wood. Can't quite get my head around even the sea being wood but as Ravens says it makes for incredibly detailed waves.

Sorry to hear about your 'planes though :(

Will

H Fraser,

Glad to hear life is returning to near normal and your able to get back to the bench. Shame about the planes but look on the bright side. It makes space available for new builds :winkgrin:

I must admit to be shocked when I opened your WIP, I thought it can't be that cold in the IOW !! Great idea though, its going to save a lot of pain!!

Good to see you back with a bang, WOW another little cracker in the making...............Googled some images of the Rosamund, bet she was a flyer. I can see why they put her back in commission.

Love the idea for the deck planks.

I shall be watching your progress with great interest :popcorn:

Kev

This looks like it is going to be a very interesting build, Planeing shaveings for planking has put ideas in my head, I must give it a go!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, things have been happening, apart from actually posting any progress...

fair-ros_13_zpsarxmkawg

The bowsprit is carved...starts square goes to an octagon briefly and then gets rounded and tapered for the rest of it's length, leaving a small square section to key into the bowsprit cap...

anchorsaweigh_zpskyyo9ond

Through which the jib boom also goes... But that won't go in until I'm ready to start rigging as it is, to say the least, fragile! I neglected to take a shot of the bitts that go either side of the bowsprit, to be remedied today...

I'm now working on the main cabin, first the basic structure - it's on two levels

fair-ros_12

The roof was cut from .06mm ply, because it's nice and flexible...

fair-ros_10_zpshabg3bbx

Somewhat dwarfed by the clips holding it all together while the hide glue dries.

More very soon.

F

• Like 6

Impressive work in any scale but in 1/144.................Amazing!!

Kev

Feels more like brain damage at the mo!

• Like 1

Thank you.

You know the old racing adage " To finish first, first you have to finish!" I'm working on the main cabin trunk and it's proving..."fun". I received my copy of "Schooner Sunset' yesterday. What an amazing book, As a future project I'd love to build Minnie, the little Schooner Bob Wilson did such a excellent miniature of, but build it it, say, 1/72nd scale...fit in nicely with the MTBs... More to the point, I could really get into the detail and at that scale, it would be hard to overlook! So a big thanks to Bob for recommending it. The other book I have regarding Merchant Schooners is Basil Greenhill's "Evolution of the Wooden Ship" Illustrated beautifully by Sam Manning, which goes into detail about the building of West Country Schooners. A great book.

F

• Like 1

This is the saw I use. A Proxxon, the larger of the two they do.

saw_zpsz2m0lynx

A long way off perfect, but still very useful. I cut new throat plats from 2mm ply to stop narrowbits of wood from disappearing into the interior!

• Like 2

The Cabin is on now..took a while and I need to work on thinner doors. I put in a ladder, but it's not exactly easy to see. Also added the tiller and rudder post..

cabin

Thanks for looking.

F

• Like 2

That is looking very good. I always find photographs of the progressing work in small models are very helpful in improving the work, because they always show up the imperfections in rather a harsh manner because the image is often bigger than the model itself. The actual models always appear neater than the close-up images. I often seen things in photographs of my models that I had not noticed when looking at the real thing, and can then go and correct it. As the model progresses, it looks better and better, because as detail is added, the viewer tends to look at it as a whole, rather than focusing on individual parts in the early stages when there is not much to look at! The reverse applies to very large models, where the photograph is smaller than the model, all the imperfection shrink as well, so the image looks better!

Bob

Too true... nothing like a good macro lens on a tripod to show up the rough bits, of which there are lots, of course. I'm still feeling my way in the art... Trying at the moment to produce grating....8mm square. Interesting. A friend has some Degame off-cuts for me. It's rather like box and can be cut to very small sections and hold it's edges. Dead straight for spars and masts too, though I have a feeling that smaller spars may need to be turned from brass...

F

• Like 1

An attempt at a grating... could be better. Might just be OK with a coil or two of rope on it...

grating

Received a new tool today from EMA Model Supplies. A nifty guillotine by NorthWest Short line...made of cast alloy it seems well made and cuts 1mm Degame strip no prob so plastic would be easy too. The blade stays set at 90 and to get angles they supply two alloy set angle pieces. Much better idea than a moveable blade, I think. Wasn't cheap though....

f-ros_4_zpsl63l0sfx

Oh yeah, the beer isfrom Lidl cheap and good...:)

F

• Like 4

:D The beer was the reward for not removing any digits...so far. And das Bier is French. Better than Stella, IMNHO...