1/72 Hasegawa Bf-109E converted

So here is the story. Even though l got my new office/workbench room sorted out l am still rummaging through stuff looking for things. l had bought a Hasegawa kit not too long ago that had a Traeger conversion in it. While rummaging l found it and actually several bits and pieces as well. The conversion l will save to the airfix kit l also just got but l am going to build the Hasegawa kit. Really for the age its not a bad little kit and with the True Detail cockpit l found that l didn't know l had l am going to build it. Not sure at this point whose plane l am going to do as l got several option if l can find them

IMG_2902_zpsb0yvjt8v.jpg

IMG_2903_zpshhijpeur.jpg

The kit is pretty much there and the detail set l found was painted at some point with RLM 02. It just a matter of detail painting of the cockpit and assembly

Edited by hacker
  • Like 6

Was thinking of converting it to a E-1; relatively simple job; but unsure the squadron. Would like to do Red 13, Fw. Kurt "Kuddel" Ubben, 6.(J)/TrGr.186, I thought l had the decals but so far no. So far l can't tell if he participated in the battle or not

Edited by hacker

IMG_2907_zps0prasmwz.jpg

So last night l sanded out the moulded in detail or what there was and glued the side walls in. So far so good

IMG_2908_zpsnbsfoxpk.jpg

While l was doing that l also added some details to the wheel well so its not looking so plain. I was going to fire up the air brush with some RLM 02 for another project so l may get a chance to spray some areas of the cockpit where you can still see the plastic and the wheel wells

All for now later

So after a lot of sorting through decals it has become clear to me here...one my memory is shot l thought l had the decals l needed but as it turns out yes but in 1/32 scale doh! but here is what l was going to do and what l hope l can do

8261-a_zpsxwpme4gk.jpg

Orginally thought of doing this one but as l have stated earlier there is no 1/72 decals for this bird and as much as l like it the other problem with this is that this squadron as far as l can find out went to Norway to it's out

8261-e_zpsbnbhxwis.jpg

so now l want to do this one but again l have everything but the red emblem. So the question is does any of you chaps have this in your decal stash? Anyways back to building

thanks

• Like 1

IMG_2907_zps0prasmwz.jpg

So last night l sanded out the moulded in detail or what there was and glued the side walls in. So far so good

IMG_2908_zpsnbsfoxpk.jpg

While l was doing that l also added some details to the wheel well so its not looking so plain. I was going to fire up the air brush with some RLM 02 for another project so l may get a chance to spray some areas of the cockpit where you can still see the plastic and the wheel wells

All for now later

Hacker just to remind you the GB does not start until the July 10th

I would not do any more building or you may be over the 25% rule :D

Hacker just to remind you the GB does not start until the July 10th

I would not do any more building or you may be over the 25% rule :D

Indeed, difficult though it may be. I've been avoiding my workroom, and thus temptation, all week. It hasn't been easy.

DOH! been so caught up with other stuff l missed that. Sorry. I got other stuff to work on in the meanwhile. Besides it's going to get stalled if l can't find that one decal l need

IMG_2910_zpsnhblg5fm.jpg

So now it is the 10th l can carry on ( l do anyways according to the wife) seeing that the decals are coming l can do the conversion. The Hasegawa kit lends it's self rather easily to the conversion. the bulge for the wing cannons is solid and has not depression on the inside of the part. So it is just a manner of cutting the bulk of it off with a sharp knife then a bit of filing and sanding to get it flush with the wing. Just a bit of rescribing to retrieve lost panel lines and we are done.

Edited by hacker
  • Like 1

IMG_2912_zps9lncklvd.jpg

IMG_2911_zps8g7p34gm.jpg

IMG_2913_zpsogrok2hf.jpg

did some detail painting of the cockpit last night before bed. Just about there, a bit more and a wash then l think we are ready to assemble the fuselage halves

stay tune

• Like 1

Been putting some time in on this and this is what l have accomplished so far

IMG_2952_zpsusucbgpc.jpg

IMG_2951_zpsvkfcpn25.jpg

Got the other cockpit parts painted and detailed. First l finished the cockpit floor and seat. Once l got the detail painting done l gave it a black wash in an effort to bring out more of the details. Then l move on to the instrument panel and gave it and the side walls the same treatment

IMG_2960_zpsfr04vkvn.jpg

IMG_2961_zpsqu1sja7n.jpg

IMG_2962_zpsg4si9c4i.jpg

Assembly was easy but did present some problems. The upper cowl part sat too high so l had to sand and file it down a bit to achieve a better fit. The wings fit nicely too but there are a couple of gaps here and there that will need some attention

For the time being l will leave the horizontal stabilizers off while l do some puttying and sanding to address those gaps.

All for now

later

Edited by hacker
  • Like 4

For the time being l will leave the horizontal stabilizers off while l do some putting and sanding to address those gaps.

All for now

later

PUTTING!? This is no time to be playing golf, man! Don't you know there's a war on?

PUTTING!? This is no time to be playing golf, man! Don't you know there's a war on?

Opps was in a hurry today and missed that

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's been a bit since l last posted. l been trying to get back into the swing of working again. Been tough as l am still feeling the effects of what ever happened to me back in July. l work two days of light duty labour but then l am knackered for one. Anyway l put some time in on this project

IMG_3123_zpsb6qmnsbn.jpg

First up l tried using the horizontal stabiliser supports in the kit. Buggered one up and the other one went into the nether world. l took a picture of the part from a spare kit l got just to show that it is very difficult to get them off without damaging at least one. l ended up making two from some plastic rod.

IMG_3119_zpse3sdjbpo.jpg

IMG_3117_zpsvhxvjhdz.jpg

IMG_3118_zpsv44eevsy.jpg

First off l primed the whole plane with Tamyia fine primer in a rattle can. It was recommended by Wheels and Wings in Toronto. It was one of the best advices.

IMG_3124_zps2h2azong.jpg

Always on the hunt for new techniques l heard of someone using paint markers to do panel lines. So l went to the local artist shop and picked up some of these. It is an experiment and l am going to use it on this build to see what kind of results l can achieve.

IMG_3125_zpsh2efhvdw.jpg

IMG_3126_zpslm8ahmmw.jpg

IMG_3127_zpsismpd5w0.jpg

So this is the result of about 10 minutes of running the markers over the panel lines. l used the thinner marker on some areas while the larger on others. Now l going to paint it RLM 65 under the wings and up the sides including the nose to tone down the black marker a bit as l am going to paint it yellow.

I will post the results later so we all can see how l made out with this little experiment.

later guys

Edited by hacker
  • Like 2

I will post the results later so we all can see how l made out with this little experiment.

later guys

Interesting idea! Will be watching to see how it turns out. Seems like an excellent idea for smaller scales and aircraft.

• 1 month later...

IMG_3196_zpsinul29tz.jpg

IMG_3194_zpskg4yiphn.jpg

IMG_3195_zpsulnz0jlf.jpg

IMG_3197_zpsf8cdhi80.jpg

Well got more work done on my Messerschmitt. Got al the decals on. l had to cut the numbers down a bit as they were the right width but too tall. Other then that it looks good so far. Not sure if l can have an open canopy or not but l have to see. May weather it a bit to bring it it to life a bit more

later

• Like 1

Looks really good, great choice on the colour scheme!

Looks good but the experiment with the paint markers l would not do again anytime soon. But l found this interesting tib bit

Looks like an interesting method! l may have a go at it with another model