1/72 Heller/Smer LeO-451

Ok, but other than rescribing and riveting, did you do anything else? It seems to me that you did much more in terms of ribs and 3D surface or is it all original Heller?

Ah yes I see what you mean! Yes there are certain panels and strips picked out in bare metal foil, and I'd intended to do quite a bit chipping on these, but decided against doing too much in the end. Flap levers are made from simple plasticard additions as well.

Lovely job! Did you use artistic licence for the camouflage, as it seemed that each aircraft was unique in its pattern at that time.

Cheers

Van

It's just the camo pattern from the box, but the grey and brown look a bit darker and duller than they should after weathering.

remember building this as a little kid, it was the biggest plane i did build back then and i loved the nice shapes! aaaand mainly i loved the BIG BIG gun on the top side, looked so deadly with it :)

Your turned out totaly great, just love it :)

Edited by Wolwe82

• 3 years later...

Astounding detail on the paint job. How in the world did you ever do that black pinstriping, especially over the top, curved fuselage section? You must have incredibly steady hands.

Bra-vo, sir.

I've got a soft spot for early Heller kits, the Museum Series in particular. The shapes of the planes never fail to raise an eyebrow or two if you are not familiar with them. 

You have made a first class job of this one, it really does look spot on.

• 2 years later...

Superbly built & painted leO-451.

I've also been thinking of building one of these along with the Marcel-Bloch MB.174. Just the sort of classic French aircraft that Romain Hugault would paint!

Those old French Air Force twin engined aircraft had so much character about them & I do like the camouflage colours.

That extending lower turret looked a bit of a squeeze & that upper cannon looks scary!

I reckon some extra sales of these kits are imminent after seeing your model!

Martin

• Like 1

Nothing better than a golden oldie classic kit turned into a modern day masterpiece. Hopefully we can see more examples of this type of craft when the Classic Heller GB starts from 03 October. Come on guys and gals, delve into that large stash and relive the golden age of plastic scale modelling. 

Cheers.. Dave

My goodness! I've never seen one built, much less one that has been beaten into submission like this one! Well done! That 20 mm cannon looks like a freakin' howitzer! Bet it was fun trying to fly straight when the gun was traversed.

Mike

Very nice, Andy. I have one lined up for the upcoming GB. Did you do much research for your build? I ask because I’m trying to find information on the P&W-engined 453. Anything you have, if anything at all, would be helpful.

Martin

On 9/17/2020 at 11:19 PM, Lightningboy2000 said:

I've also been thinking of building one of these along with the Marcel-Bloch MB.174. Just the sort of classic French aircraft that Romain Hugault would paint!

Why not give the Heller GB a go, Martin? ;)

Martin

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Why not give the Heller GB a go? ;)

Martin

Looks tempting! You trying to bump the numbers up on that, looks like nearly 100?😉

I'll have to pull my finger out & buy the kit then! Just got side tracked with aftermarket stuff for that Bloch 174, just can't help myself!

• Haha 1