1/72 Airfix Mustang "Dooleybird"

Hello everyone,

revisting my chidhood memories of the Matchbox boxtop beauty "Dooleybird".

She was the very first Mustang I ever built.

40 years later, I decided to do an up-to-date rendition of that colorful plane, flown by Flt.Lt. A.S. Doley from 19th Sq., Peterhead, April 1945.

The kit is Airfix' P-51D converted to Mustang IV using the Freightdog resin set.

The decals come from LPS Hobby Brazil (LPM72-09) and are of terrible quality.

The roundels would not confirm to the surface structure by any means, not even with setting solution, and when I tried to gently push them into the recessed panel lines they simply broke up.

In the end I replaced all roundels and the tail flash with items from an Xtradecal sheet and used only the nose art, squadron codes, serial number and the checkboard.

Painted with Alclad II and Gunze/Mr.Hobby acrylics.

Additional refinements by CMK.

a_DSC4360_zpsblcfbqjg.jpg

a_DSC4362_zpsko2guwze.jpg

a_DSC4357_zpsxennd9de.jpga_DSC4355_zpsx34ibd2o.jpga_DSC4352_zpsgkb0e0sj.jpga_DSC4350_zpsbxqqkggc.jpga_DSC4349_zpssryhe0of.jpg

The Freightdog conversion is easy: just cut off the lower cowling and insert the resin piece.

IMG_08931_zps03veyyo9.jpg

Some interior shots of the CMK cockpit:

IMG_08901_zpsuqkdgozy.jpg

IMG_08891_zpsk5hnunwd.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Have a great day!

Cheers from Vienna

a_DSC4365_zps5znunjqi.jpg

a_DSC4363_zps4oaaijpj.jpg

a_DSC4356_zpszmbcjfjm.jpg

a_DSC4358_zpseuw6zpqg.jpg

Edited by Roman Schilhart
  • Like 40

Another fine build Roman,great metal finish and delicately detailed cockpit,these marking,s were worn when this aircraft was based not far from

me in Acklington Northumberland near the war,s end.

• 1 month later...

Model Alliance did a sheet with Dooleybird on it in both major scales. Got mine when I visited big H back in 2007. Leave the Matchbox kits for the collectors and the weirdos who need to revisit their childhoods (ie me. ;) )

Top job Roman. I'm hopefully doing 3 versions of this airframe for the P-51 GB when it starts, and I'll be referring to these photos for inspiration!

Really cool looking mustang, I remember the matchbox kit like everyone else that had these markings on the boxart!

But this is most likely the best 'Dooleybird' out there!

Rich

Here's Matchbox' original cover art:

matchbox-mustang-01_zps08q5s8ko.jpg

I am feeling confused, I have until now only seen Dooleybird having a blue rather than yellow stripe along the fuselage. Can anyone tell me which is the correct colour before I commit to building my old Matchbox kit?

Before I started my build, I did some research on the topic here at Britmodeller.

There seems to be consensus that the color strip around the cockpit is Yellow, not Blue.

However, I have never seen a color photograph of that particular aircraft!

Excellent build and paint finish. Could you please provide details about your painting and weathering techniques?

:goodjob:

Jaime

Thanks for your feedback.

First, the model was primed with Tamiya Grey (from the rattle can, applied with my airbrush) to check for flaws on the surface - this is essential, as the Alclad paints are highly reflective and will mirror any imperfections on the surface, such as scratches or dust.

Then, a coat of Gloss Black (I also used Tamiya from the can) is applied with the airbrush.

The black coat provides 'depth' for the metallic paint.

I recommend sanding the model with very fine grit sandpaper (4000 -12000).

Various shades of Alclad II were applied, then sealed with Alclad Gloss Cote.

Weathering was done with airbrush only - conventional 'washes' with artist oils don't work on Metallic surfaces, pigments won't stick to a glossy surface.

I sprayed Gunze/Mr Hobby 'Smoke' freehand along the panel lines.
A good way to achieve an acceptable straight line is to use 'Post-It's' - just stick it on the surface and spray along the edge.

Edited by Roman Schilhart
  • Like 2

Roman,

Thanks a lot for the information and tips on painting and weathering. Very useful, as I have two NMF Mustangs in my stash. I'm a great fan of Alclad paints but my experience with them is still limited.

Cheers

Jaime

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...