The World Enders (1/72 ICM and Airfix 109E)

Well, MRI confirms it! Torn meniscus. I need to schedule some surgery. I guess I'm relieved -- I'd feel like a huge baby if nothing was wrong with me.

• Like 3

Fascinating builds Procopius. Am doing an Airfix 109 myself in Jg26 colours, and am so far finding just fine..Talking about the canooy, I found by masking over the slightly heavy frame lines in the middle of the main canopy -basically just ignoring them- works just fine as you dont tend to notice them when everything is installed. Looking forward to seeing paint going on! Paul

Glad to hear you have a way ahead with the knee... let's just hope you can schedule the op / recovery around Duxford (he said selfishly) and the anticipated arrival! :)

• Like 2

Glad to hear you have a way ahead with the knee... let's just hope you can schedule the op / recovery around Duxford (he said selfishly) and the anticipated arrival! :)

Yep, it's scheduled for August 10 -- takes about two days to be back on my feet and a month to be back to normal activity, so should work perfectly for my trip to the holy land.

• Like 3

Fascinating builds Procopius. Am doing an Airfix 109 myself in Jg26 colours, and am so far finding just fine..Talking about the canooy, I found by masking over the slightly heavy frame lines in the middle of the main canopy -basically just ignoring them- works just fine as you dont tend to notice them when everything is installed. Looking forward to seeing paint going on! Paul

I've used a similar solution to yours, Paul, hopes are high!

Oh, and the 109's look zebra gut too.

I strive for zebra guts in all things.

Good to hear it is something that can be worked on and heal! Always nice to have answers when feeling pain.

Indeed it is! I've been very depressed, but the MRI results are a huge load off. Now to just get this taken care of.

In any case, no photos tonight, but I sanded down and resprayed the spines, so they look a little better, and masked off the wings and gear wells. Next we should be ready for the RLM65. I begin my social media coverage of our annual meeting for work, however, and am working all weekend, so expect little progress before Wednesday after this.

Also, Mrs. P has bought Madeleine a romper ball:

11745819_1018153008209511_58696002262097

• Like 5

Seconded.

The romper ball looks 'fun'. I remember we had one for the hamster when the girls were little... Is Madeleine 'house trained'? I only ask because, with our hamsters, it was always 'fun' the hear the sound of little maracas as the, er, pellets rattled around in the ball. Always easy to find though - we just followed the little stripes of wet across the carpet.

Awww, sweet memories :)

Sorry to barge in and go back to the 109s...

But there should be a seam on the top and bottom of the fuselage, if you want to be pure of heart!!!!

Visible on many photos...

OK, just stirring!

Great builds, even seamless!

JR

But there should be a seam on the top and bottom of the fuselage, if you want to be pure of heart!!!!

It's a little late for that. Besides, when I do it, it just looks like crap. The Buchon I saw last weekend didn't really have a visible seam, but I confess I didn't look too closely at the nasty little thing.

• Like 2

It's a little late for that. Besides, when I do it, it just looks like crap. The Buchon I saw last weekend didn't really have a visible seam, but I confess I didn't look too closely at the nasty little thing.

If you do not want to see it, it does not exist. Besides, I have only ever seen one build taken to that extreme with the top and bottom seams scribed, and it kind of looked weird, as if the guy had forgotten to putty the joints... I would be tempted to ignore the hard work of Willy and smooth everything out!

I'm currently finishing off an Airfix 109 G-6, and I must say that you are doing a better job than I, Gunga Din. And to be honest, the 109 looks so much more... evil with the squared-off wingtips than with the later (and no doubt aerodynamically more betterer) rounded ones.

Pip pip old chap, I wait to see what you end up with. As always, the sheer speed of your building amazes me.

Almost done with our annual meeting. I have humiliated myself by confusing, to her face, the head of the US Army JAG Corps with a USAF Lieutenant General. She was not amused, and I got a weird look when I lamely explained "I'm much more familiar with British uniforms, really..."

Also, if you've seen the movie The Goonies, I met the guy who played Chunk.

• Like 3

A little more work has been done.

I've messed up the order of operations, so I keep having to go back and spray different colours again -- sloppy!

As you can see, the Gunze Aqueous RLM02 is much paler than the Lifecolor RLM02 I used to use. Which is correct? We may never know.

11728708_1022467647778047_63182545625183

11792038_1022467957778016_71428218959212

11039227_1022467981111347_79926039479612

• Like 7

Your complete 109 looks the most correct.... But I don't really know anything.

The colours you have will darken under washes will it not? The two look very nice, great work on the finish.

Rob

Getting closer! The spinners and props are also mostly done, but no photos of them.

11865135_1023043504387128_62175801206839

11794468_1023043611053784_12626692723247

11794468_1023043531053792_77559944755835

I am absolutely no good at painting the improvised camouflage the Nazis used on their aircraft, as you can see here, with poor reproductions of the E-3s splotches and the E-4's general RLM 71 overspray on the flanks.

• Like 5