The World Enders (1/72 ICM and Airfix 109E)

The fair and the brave and the good must die.
-- Lord Huron, "The World Ender"
And they worshiped the dragon, for he had given his authority to the beast, and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast, and who can fight against it?”

-- Revelations 13:4 (ESV)

"Captain [Helmut] Wick gave the impression that fighting the British Air Force was an extremely simple matter...the flier declared that the present quality of British pilots was 'laughable'."
-- "NAZI FLYER LAUGHS AT BRITISH AIRMEN", New York Times, October 13, 1940
'Summon up your reserves of courage, be a spearman now and a warrior brave. There is no escape from me, and soon Athene will bring you down with my spear. Now pay the price for all my grief, for all my friends you’ve slaughtered with your blade.'
-- The Iliad, Book XXII
For the Axis side of my builds, I'm going to start out with two Bf109Es -- an ICM 109E-4 to be built as Wn. 1082/Yellow 4 of Oberleutnant Helmut Rau, Staffelkapitan of III/JG3's machine, and an Airfix 109E-4 to be built as Yellow 2 of III/JG2, the machine of Staffelkapitan Helmut Wick in August of 1940.
Our own Enz Matrix has written an excellent capsule bio of Rau, published here on FalkeEins' blog; suffice it to say that in Yellow 4, Rau ran afoul of Ronald "Ras" Berry, who wrote:
"As I had no oxygen, I had to leave the squadron at 22,000 feet and waited below in the sun for straggling enemy aircraft. After patrolling for 30 minutes, I saw a Me109 proceeding very fast. To overhaul him I had to press the emergency boost - indicated speed - 345. I caught the enemy aircraft off Shoeburyness. I opened fire at close range and fired all my ammunition until the enemy aircraft streamed with smoke and pancaked on the mud at Shoeburyness." Adorned with an eye-catching serpent, Rau's aircraft was salvaged for public display, somewhat the worse for wear:
Rau02.jpg
Helmut Wick is rather more famous than Rau, being at the end of the Battle, the Luftwaffe's top-scoring ace, with fifty-six claims. He died shortly after its conclusion, drowning in the Channel after being shot down by Flight Lieutenant John Dundas (himself killed moments later), the brother of Hugh "Cocky" Dundas, who would go on to later distinction. I will not be building the aircraft Wick met his fate in, as it falls outside of the scope of this GB, but rather the aircraft he was flying in August:
14510256984_fd11e73517.jpg
As you can see, both Wick and Rau's aircraft show heavy use of the field-expedient camouflage adopted by the Luftwaffe as the Battle intensified. I had wished to also do an aircraft with the earlier 70/71 scheme and high demarcation, but I only have two 109Es and converting a 109E-1 seemed like a bit of a bother.
  • Like 13

I tell you PC you have the opening post of a build thread down to a tee now; I'm hooked :popcorn:

OT, I lived in Shoeburyness between 1982 and 1987, it more or less forms the eastern end of Southend-on-Sea these days but in WW2 would probably have still been a separate village with some new housing estates built to the north and west of it. The Thames Estuary mud is very much in evidence at all but high tide at both of Shoebury's beaches and is comparatively firm and flat so if you had to belly in an aircraft (and couldn't make it to the aerodrome at Rochford) it would have been a good choice.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

I may be mistaken (and i am a lot!) but i think you can build an E-1 from the Airfix kit...it may depend on which boxing you have. Cheers Greg

I am wrong...again! I'm talking about the 1/48 kits not the 1/72.. :wacko:

I tell you PC you have the opening post of a build thread down to a tee now; I'm hooked :popcorn:

OT, I lived in Shoeburyness between 1982 and 1987, it more or less forms the eastern end of Southend-on-Sea these days but in WW2 would probably have still been a separate village with some new housing estates built to the north and west of it. The Thames Estuary mud is very much in evidence at all but high tide at both of Shoebury's beaches and is comparatively firm and flat so if you had to belly in an aircraft (and couldn't make it to the aerodrome at Rochford) it would have been a good choice.

Cheers,

Stew

Small world Stew! I live just around the corner from East Beach in Shoebury, near the MOD!

• Like 1

I shall be following this build closely as I have decals for Wick's aircraft myself. I 'll be very interested in the

application of the scheme, i.e, I 'll be coping it!,

Sean

"Hello, GANNIC Leader! GANNIC Leader! CARFAX calling! 200-plus coming in over RED QUEEN. Vector one-two-zero. Angels two-five. Watch out for snappers above!"
-- Biggin Hill Sector Controller to 92 Squadron, 15 September 1940
Here we go.
I'm building two "snappers" for right now, as noted above, the goes-together-easy Airfix kit and the slightly-more-accurate ICM kit. For the first time, I'll be using all Gunze Aqueous colours, hard to come by in this country, but I have my ways (I order them from a Croatian gentleman on ebay).

11698595_1009634112394734_87197706637589

The kits are all washed and prepared, and I've started cockpit assembly.

11701148_1009634125728066_18250232064799

11745681_1009634075728071_45077418599015

11750716_1009634095728069_75789718510110

I remembered (correctly) that ICM is far too generous with the legroom of the cockpit on their 109, and it needed quite a bit of trimming (3-4mm) down to be at a correct length.

Here's a photo from my last 109E by them showing what I mean:

10987396_935713756453437_647832375245758

• Like 4

Morning PC! Looking forward to these and to see how you get with the Gunze and the dreaded mottling :coolio:

As a relative newbie to detailed BoB history I will admit I had to Google 'snappers' and of course, in this 'monetized' world, my search for 'BoB snappers' gave me LinkedIn as a top hit. If there are many more ignorant people like me, poor old Bob Snappers (who's apparently in Publicity in Preston, United Kingdom) must be puzzled by the sudden interest in his involvement in the 'Food & Beverages' industry. :)

I still don't really know where the term 'snapper' comes from... can anyone fill me in? *

* Dbl-E, score 1, fnaar fnaar

• Like 1

I don't have a definitive etymology, but I would guess it's an associative word, the way angels meant height; the typical 109 tactic was the effective one of diving from a great height upon a target, firing a quick burst, diving away, and then coming back up for another go at its leisure, which seems rather analogous (to me) to "snapping" at a formation of RAF fighters, rather than mixing it up with them (where the maneuverability of the Spitfire and Hurricane could come into play). The Germans called RAF fighters "indians", because, believe it or not, virtually all German youths of the era had grown up reading the cowboy fiction of Karl May -- Hitler himself was an enthusiast, if Albert Speer is to be believed about anything.

• Like 2

Just once I'd like to have a build on BM that DOESN"T start with a quote from Revelations! Seriously, though, PC, good luck on the builds!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Thanks PC, sounds right to me - like terriers snapping at heels.

There's some great stuff on the media this week (for a change). I also had a search through the BBC archives and found 'Spitfire - Two Seconds to Kill'. Raymond Baxter narrating (a Spitfire pilot from 1941), sadly missed, From 24:30 there's a great description from two BoB pilots on what is was like to engage 109s and the techniques they developed. The original problem with the Merlin's carburettor being starved of fuel during a bunt was apparently cured by 'Miss Shilling's Orifice', later replaced by the diaphragm carburettor. Fnaar fnaar :D

(I hope you can see the video and the associated links, great stuff)

• Like 1

Those Gunze Aqueous paints are superb and i think they have the RLM colours for the early w2 Luftwaffe just right as good contrast between them at the smaller scales., even the two greens.

• Like 1

I live on Canvey (small world and everything) and I have never trusted that mud, got stuck in it quite a number of years ago, lost my shoe I did :( I'd say that mud would be the last place I would wanna ditch, dont get me started on the smell either... good way to collect lugworms tho I suppose?? From my understanding, Rochford (Now London Southend Airport) wasn't actually used for anything during the Battle of Britian? I could be wrong... (probably am).

Looking forward to this build progressing Procopius, I am actually building the Airfix 109 now so I will be stealing lots of hints and tips :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Rochford (Now London Southend Airport) wasn't actually used for anything during the Battle of Britian?

It was a satellite station for Hornchurch during the Battle, and mightily unpopular, as accommodations were canvas tents. 54 and 74 Squadrons operated from there from time to time from October 1939 on; "Sailor" Malan's famous night-time flight resulting in a Heinkel 111 kill on 18 June started at Rochford. Rochford itself was heavily bombed on 28 August.

• Like 1

I'm sure I've seen pics of 56 Squadron Hurricanes dispersed at Rochford too. On September 15 1940 a Do17 force landed there and to the annoyance of the crew (and the RAF personnel at the station) was shot at by marauding fighters all the way down (and in WW1 a Gotha force landed on the golf course next to Rochford aerodrome). In the 80's a trio of crated Merlin engines was discovered and dug up there as well as a strange little 'pop-up' pillbox for airfield defence.

So not the quiet little backwater you might have been expecting Dazz :)

Agreed your comments about the mud at Canvey though :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

A bit of googling uncovered the history of the Rochford Golf Club, which makes for at times unedifying reading.

"It is regretted to report that a concrete building [an anti-invasion bunker!] was erected by Government on a site by the farm stockyard in the middle of the first fairway, which has spoiled the line from the 1st tee to the 1st green. This will have to be taken down as it is an eyesore to the countryside in general and I have to report that neither Mr H.V.Sorrell, Mr Picken nor myself were consulted in any way before this building was sited. The first green was enclosed with barbed wire and gun employments in the bunkers to the south east of the green and a concrete blockhouse erected behind the green. A request was made that an opening be left so that the club professional could have access to the green and keep it cut and in condition, but was refused. A month of so ago the wire was removed, but the green has been ruined through lack of attention."

• Like 3

It was a satellite station for Hornchurch during the Battle, and mightily unpopular, as accommodations were canvas tents. 54 and 74 Squadrons operated from there from time to time from October 1939 on; "Sailor" Malan's famous night-time flight resulting in a Heinkel 111 kill on 18 June started at Rochford. Rochford itself was heavily bombed on 28 August.

Oh aye, I knew it was a satellite Base and it had a few postings there. What I really meant was that it wasn't really a main Base (like Biggin Hill and Hornchurch). Never knew about the He-111 tho.

I'm sure I've seen pics of 56 Squadron Hurricanes dispersed at Rochford too. On September 15 1940 a Do17 force landed there and to the annoyance of the crew (and the RAF personnel at the station) was shot at by marauding fighters all the way down (and in WW1 a Gotha force landed on the golf course next to Rochford aerodrome). In the 80's a trio of crated Merlin engines was discovered and dug up there as well as a strange little 'pop-up' pillbox for airfield defence.

So not the quiet little backwater you might have been expecting Dazz :)

Agreed your comments about the mud at Canvey though :D

Cheers,

Stew

Never knew about the the Do-17, will have to look that up tomorrow. Same for the Gotha, then again my Great War knowledge is surely lacking. The merlins I wouldn't know about, I was barely born then :P I might have to look into this pop up pillbox tho. We have a few on Canvey and Benfleet, esp surrounding Benfleet Creek. Then again, there's loads in this area.

I see Canveys mud does have a reputation!! ;)

I apologise for the OT manner of my post.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Bunkers on a golf course? Whatever next!!

Mind you, I know nothing about golf as I don't play... The only time I’ve ever hit two balls straight together was when I trod on a garden rake. (boom boom tish) :)

• Like 3

Sounds like and awesome crazy golf course...

Mr p that quote is such a great snap shot of being British! 'I know there's a war on but can you leave a gap for the chap to mow the green... What?' Love it!

Rob

• Like 1

I'm building two "snappers" for right now, as noted above, the goes-together-easy Airfix kit and the slightly-more-accurate ICM kit.

Hello Sir!

If it is not too late would it be possible to have a comparison pictures of fuselages of these kits? I'm in particular interested the wing location and nose length.

TIA!

Cheers,

AaCee

Hello Sir!

If it is not too late would it be possible to have a comparison pictures of fuselages of these kits? I'm in particular interested the wing location and nose length.

TIA!

Cheers,

AaCee

For you...anything.

Top, ICM, bottom, Airfix.

11755297_1009961179028694_22821678143601

Airfix

11751789_1009961195695359_16626164920319

ICM

11755093_1009961219028690_74026000808743

ICM fuselage placed over Airfix. Almost identical dimensionally.

11698716_1009961239028688_45170105053150

Top, Airfix, bottom, ICM.

11140406_1009961282362017_64648372709774

Airfix intake:

11701169_1009961119028700_45911754201758

ICM intake:

11753289_1009961142362031_75737752804834

• Like 4