We're in with a chance lass.

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since the last update but not been entirely idle on this one. After several, mainly failed, experiments I've produced a new set of propeller blades. Not because there's anything wrong with what Airfix provide but because I'm clearly incapable of simply building a perfectly good kit as the manufacturer intended and have a compulsive need to mess around with it. So, new prop blades;

20150830_181316.jpg

A lack of foresight means I still have to create a proper root for two of the blades but sure you get the idea.

• Like 1

Pointed the airbrush at this one last night. A coat of Alclad grey primer around the wingroots followed by some Alclad Aluminium. This will allow me to weather the areas where ground and aircrew walked.

20150901_071034.jpg

• Like 5

I havn't looked at this for a while and I have to say that I'm really impressed. That's a great effect you've achieved on the rear fuselage ( the raised rivets should not go further forward than the cockpit by the way) but as Peter says you may have to accentuate it a little with tha painting. I know what you mean about the compulsive need to mess around with what's in the box also.

Looking forward to seeing some paint on her.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Great effort Col. Good to see that the riveting worked for you too. So you use the riveting tool to show dome rivets and the scraping to show the "oil-can" effect where flat rivets have been used. I will follow this with interest.

But I have a feeling that you won't see much of the "oil-can" effect on the finished model as the surface area is too smal to give that visual effect compared to the original.

At the end it is all about creating visual effects tricking the eye to some degree, so you may have to assist this effect when painting the model. I am looking forward to see this on the finished model.

Cheers, Peter

Thank you Peter. I'm hoping the effect will not be too noticeable on the finished model unless viewed at very close quarters but rather give a subtle hint of variation when seen from normal distances. What I'm looking for is a more accurate alternative to the current fashion for pre-shading and dark washes in panel lines that I personally dislike seeing over-done on so many models. So this is an experiment and therefore I'm on a steep learning curve, forgive me if it doesn't work, feel free to use it in whole or any part if it does.

I havn't looked at this for a while and I have to say that I'm really impressed. That's a great effect you've achieved on the rear fuselage ( the raised rivets should not go further forward than the cockpit by the way) but as Peter says you may have to accentuate it a little with tha painting. I know what you mean about the compulsive need to mess around with what's in the box also.

Looking forward to seeing some paint on her.

Cheers

John

Thank you John. I'm hoping to get the main colours started with painting the underside this evening. In the meantime here's the latest progress on my attempts to mess around with the prop;

20150902_181043.jpg

The spare Mk.V prop had its blades cut off to give me the centre part as a mount for the new clear blades and each one was attached with a brass rod pin to give more strength. I'll need to do some painting to get the effect I want but feel happy with how it looks so far.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yikes! Had to did this thread out from way back in the list. Really must make more effort now my first What-If GB project is almost done. Anyway, minor progress, got the gun heating system vents added;

20150923_171326.jpg

20150923_171332.jpg

Also removed the moulded on cowling fasteners and scribed on a full set after filling the spurious panel line across the front of the upper engine cowl but Photobucket isn't letting me show you this so in the meantime I'll let your imagination get some exercise ;)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

A little more progress. Got the underside sprayed with Humbrol 90 enamel;

20151013_170604.jpg

Also used masking fluid to protect some of the Alclad silver around the wing roots to simulate wear in those areas;

20151013_170621.jpg

Next up will be masking the undersurfaces then add the aerial before spraying Dark Earth.

• Like 5

Really smooth finish on the underside! Great work!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jamie. It was looking dodgy for a moment when I tried spraying the paint at too thick a mix but a splash more thinners and a quick stir got it working well. Seems Humbrol enamels work best with Humbrol thinners for me as the Revell products have a much slower drying time. Thankfully I've got all three camouflage colours in Humbrol tins.

• Like 1

Sprayed it brown using Humbrol Hu29;

20151020_172506.jpg

Also found a set of the Eduard camouflage masks going cheap at the Glasgow Model Show on Saturday so will give them a try next :)

• Like 4

Looking good Col!

Cheers fella nice of you to say so :D

Got the masks on and was somewhat unsure about them at first, mainly due to the various sections not meeting perfectly across the fuselage halves or between fuselage and wing, although a little extra work with scissors and some masking fluid sorted that issue out. Really should have taken a photo at that point but...

20151022_171620.jpg

I got carried away :oops: With all the masking off I'm really pleased with the results. Only the wavy wing leading edge will need more work;

20151022_172006.jpg

• Like 10

That's really coming together nicely now Col, leading edges look good too B)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew but still a little tidy and touch up required there.

Looks good Col, I always admire your detailing work. Will you be at the Railway show over the weekend - building this possibly?

Nigel

Thank you Nigel. A high compliment indeed from someone so skilled as yourself. I will indeed be in with the Spitfire - I noticed you had a work area set out when I popped in last night, hopefully catch up with you there shortly :D

Nice job on the wavy demarcation line Col, I'm sure that wasn't easy. The wing root chipping turned out great too.

The masking fluid was easy enough to apply but I was working in less than ideal lighting conditions so missed a couple spots. I'm happy with the wing root chipping so thank you for saying you like it as well :)

Great painting job Col. Really good!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jamie. The Eduard masks were of great help.

• Like 3