We're in with a chance lass.

Hi Col., the paint finish looks really good and the detail in the instrument panel is superb :goodjob:

Cheers

Jaime

Thank you Jaime. Hope you find the technique useful in a future project.

Here's another image via Sandy Johnstone of that Spitfire. I have said before that the only fault with it is that Airfix missed the personal emblem painted on it, but I understand that it was included on one of the Xtradecal sheets.

2014-10-20_1_zpslw3mmefo.jpg

Thank you again for another photo of this machine Andy. I need to look for that decal sheet. Interesting to think that 70 years after the event someone you know was commander of the squadron my grandfather served in. A small world indeed.

Nice tip on the IP col, and great to see your progress on this.

Rob

Thank you Rob. Nice to know I'm not the only one enjoying this kit :D

• Like 1

Cracking backstory.....Anecdotes like that always fascinate me, they add a very personsl touch to the legend we all grew up with. :coolio:

Thank you Sgt. There was a few tales my grandmother told me about granddad that I'm trying to recall as I work on this one. Perhaps I can share them with everyone as we go through the GB?

As of last night here's where I've got to;

20150717_175016.jpg

The lap straps come from an Eduard set and have confirmed my dislike of etched brass. Alas I've no spare cash to spend on a better alternative and want to keep making progress at the best pace I can on this one. Everything needed a little persuasion and adjusting to get a satisfactory fit in the cockpit bathtub assembly but that and more Plastic Weld has ensured everything is going together well.

• Like 11

Late on parade for this one, apologies.

Most of my builds are personal to me, shared stories or real things I've seen provide the inspiration for my builds. I find to get a decent build you need a bit of soul in it so I can totally relate to your story here.

Great progress, will be keeping a very close eye on this one.

• Like 1

Col.,

You may dislike the brass harness but the end result is looking really excellent!

Regarding your technique for IP dial detailing, I'm not sure I'd be able to use it at 1/72, the scale I build at. But it is a really clever technique, worth of taking not of.

Cheers

Jaime

Thank you for the kind words gang. Glad you are enjoying the progress.

On that subject, moved a little further forward again;

Fitted an oxygen hose to the cockpit sidewall and the tensioner system to the seatbelt,

20150720_171022.jpg

which in turn allowed me to get the fuselage halves closed up and the wing on after a bit more scraping and filing of the trailing edge and rear fuselage join area. Needless to say I was also able to get a glue-soaked fingerprint on the trailing edge while trying to put fingertip pressure on the wind/fuselage joint;

20150720_180816.jpg

• Like 5

With the wings on the tail feathers were next to give me Spitfire shaped object :D

20150722_182941.jpg

The upper cowling section needed some filler to smooth the join and a slight sin mark;

20150722_182948.jpg

The rudder actuating rod is moulded as a solid wedge by Airfix so that was replaced by some stretched plastic rod;

20150722_183003.jpg

Then some braces were added the the radiator flap as were the operating mechanisms;

20150722_183036.jpg

Once that's in place the final cockpit part and canopy sections can go on then it's paint time.

• Like 7

Lovely work col, this is coming together now and looking great for it!

Also if you want to share stories of your grandad on here crack on, love hearing about the little bits that make these bit moments so great

Rob

Having shared his initial enthusiastic reaction to seeing the Spitfire and the optimism it gave my grandfather soon got to know the finer details of this sleek, fast, all-metal monoplane. He was soon getting to grips with the engine and all its workings. Having been used to the 9-cylinder radial Bristol Mercury engine of the Gloster Gauntlet he was now faced with a V-12 unit producing more than twice as much power. In a letter home he asked my grandmother to name their new house 'Merlin' as a tribute to the new powerplant. Unfortunately his letter came a little too late as their nearest neighbour who lived at the edge of the village was working in the Rolls Royce factory producing the Merlin engines had the same idea and wrote with the same idea a few days before. So far as I know Mrs. Duncan's house carries the same name on the gate to this day.

• Like 3

Having shared his initial enthusiastic reaction to seeing the Spitfire and the optimism it gave my grandfather soon got to know the finer details of this sleek, fast, all-metal monoplane. He was soon getting to grips with the engine and all its workings. Having been used to the 9-cylinder radial Bristol Mercury engine of the Gloster Gauntlet he was now faced with a V-12 unit producing more than twice as much power. In a letter home he asked my grandmother to name their new house 'Merlin' as a tribute to the new powerplant. Unfortunately his letter came a little too late as their nearest neighbour who lived at the edge of the village was working in the Rolls Royce factory producing the Merlin engines had the same idea and wrote with the same idea a few days before. So far as I know Mrs. Duncan's house carries the same name on the gate to this day.

I would have done the same!

Spent some time adding a few extra details to the upper cockpit section before it gets glued in place;

20150724_194157.jpg

20150724_194148.jpg

• Like 6

Please excuse the fuzzy photo but i've now got the cockpit closed up and two parts of the canopy in place;

20150729_165517.jpg

I've also tried to solve the weak undercarriage fitting by cutting the tab off the leg and glue it to the mount. With this dry I've drilled a hole into the mount to take a piece of piano wire that will then go into a corresponding hole in each leg which should hopefully impart more strength and durability to the undercarriage assembly.

• Like 5

Hi Col., great looking build and great attention to detail thus far! :goodjob:

Jaime

Thanks Jaime. Busy trying to represent the overlapping, oil-canning, riveting etc found on the Spitfire's skin so making slow and careful progress through that at the moment.

• Like 1

Another great build Col.

Nice detailing work and finishing. Looks like she will have some paint on her soon!

Craig.

Cheers Craig. She will if I crack on and get the surface detail finished.

Here's some of that surface detail I'm working. Only going to rivet the rear fuselage as I can't see any evidence on the wings or forward fuselage. Still got one upper wing and the lower wing to scrape the 'oil-can' effect onto.

20150802_172423_1.jpg

20150802_172403.jpg

20150802_172336.jpg

• Like 7

Great effort Col. Good to see that the riveting worked for you too. So you use the riveting tool to show dome rivets and the scraping to show the "oil-can" effect where flat rivets have been used. I will follow this with interest.

But I have a feeling that you won't see much of the "oil-can" effect on the finished model as the surface area is too smal to give that visual effect compared to the original.

At the end it is all about creating visual effects tricking the eye to some degree, so you may have to assist this effect when painting the model. I am looking forward to see this on the finished model.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1