We're in with a chance lass.

I've been in two minds about starting a thread for this GB but an event earlier today has inspired me to go ahead. Please bear with me for a moment if you want to know the background to my choice, otherwise I'll cut a story short and (spoiler alert!) say look to the end of the next paragraph.

A vague relative passed away recently in unfortunate circumstances and my cousin phone this evening to let me know. During the conversation we were reminiscing about days passed and the stories once told that are all too often lost as another generation fades away. One such tale that came to my mind was one told to me by my grandmother; in 1939 my grandfather was ground-crew with 602 squadron and used to working on the Gloster Gauntlets when their first Spitfires were taken on charge. The sight and sound of these wonderful new machines clearly had an impact upon everyone during those worrying days for he wrote a letter home to my grandmother on the subject in which he said, "We're in with a chance lass". Thus I made sure the moment Airfix' new 48th scale Spitfire I kit with it's 602 Sqn. decal option hit the shelf of my local model shop it didn't sit there long.

As with some many other Britmodellers I've a few ongoing projects scattered across my workbench at the moment that were supposed be cleared before starting anything new so there may be a short delay before progress occurs on this one.

• Like 28

I build models to remember my grandad in a round about way as he loved them and loved me making them.... He loved watching the dog fights when he was little and it got him hooked.

So a great idea in my book. I look forward to you clearing your bench

Rob

• Like 1

Hope I don't disappoint you all in that case :blush:

Somewhere I have a couple photos of my grandfather so will post them up once the GB gets going.

• Like 3

If you're doing the 602 box option - here's a photo of that Spitfire showing the non standard leading edge camo.

2014-10-20_2_zpsccwlrngc.jpg

That's an interesting variation of the leading edge colours. Thanks for sharing this photo. Where did you find it?

Made an earlier than intended start to this one yesterday. Watching everyone's progress inspired me :D

After drilling out the lightening holes in the cockpit frames and seat support structure the entry door was cut from the port fuselage half then a slot cut into the head armour for the seatbelts to pass through. Various cockpit parts have been painted Hu 78 and Hu 56 with a base coat of white on the instrument panel. After thinning the trailing edges around the flap area I also assembled the wings. Not a straightforward task it turns out. The circular wheel well inserts were causing problems so I had to take a chamfer off their outer edge to allow the upper wing parts to fit into position. Not sure if anyone else has found this issue as well but not seen mention of it before.

Hopefully get some detail painting done to the various cockpit bits soon so as there will be something worth showing.

• Like 1

Fair point Steve :D I had promised myself I'd spend this year finishing those lingering projects but the year isn't done yet ;)

Spent a wee while test fitting various bits of cockpit together and have to say I'm finding some work required. Having almost finished an Airfix Seafire XVII the Spitfire I is coming across as a step back in quality; most parts have a lip to at least one edge that must be removed to promote a better fit and I've used EMA Plastic Weld almost exclusively. As a 'hot' glue it reacts quickly to soften the plastic and helps me to squish parts together as well as drying quickly so I don't have to spend ages holding them in place.

While I've no desire to get stuck into adding excessive cockpit detail I think a set of seatbelts is essential so that's next on the list before going any further.

Here's a couple poor quality pics to prove I'm actually doing more than just type up a story about this;

20150713_213439.jpg

The instrument panel was painted white and left to dry. A coat of satin black was then painted on and after about 20 minutes the individual instrument dials were scratched with a sharp toothpick to let the white undercoat show through as a representation of the details on each instrument.

20150713_213522_1.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Col., I liked your method for detailing the dials in the instrument panel. Were the dials molded as raised detail or did you have to draw them with the toothpick by hand?

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Col., I liked your method for detailing the dials in the instrument panel. Were the dials molded as raised detail or did you have to draw them with the toothpick by hand?

Cheers

Jaime

The dials are moulded as a flat face without detail Jaime so everything was drawn on. The instrument decal looks quite convincing and I did consider punching out each dial to apply.

• Like 1

The dials are moulded as a flat face without detail Jaime so everything was drawn on. The instrument decal looks quite convincing and I did consider punching out each dial to apply.

Thanks for the clarification, Col. That's a great result!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Been mainly drybrushing and detail painting parts so not much progress to show but at least the photos should be a little clearer being taken in daylight;

20150715_182811.jpg

20150715_182841.jpg

Edited by Col.
  • Like 9

Here's another image via Sandy Johnstone of that Spitfire. I have said before that the only fault with it is that Airfix missed the personal emblem painted on it, but I understand that it was included on one of the Xtradecal sheets.

2014-10-20_1_zpslw3mmefo.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Andy. Yes the personal emblem is included on the Xtradecal set, which I have, and it looks like Popeye. On the instructions with them it states that there is still some doubt as to what the real image was, as most of the photos aren't clear enough to show it. I may be making one of my kits as this Spitfire but haven't finally decided yet.
Kind regards,
Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1