Good stuff Rob, and how did the surprise go? Earnt many brownie points??

ps. I use GS Hypo cement on my canopies, the tube has a tiny needle like applicator so you can be very precise about where you put it, it dries clear and it lasts for ages.

Nick

• Like 1

Cheers chaps!

Yes Nick it went very well thanks... Large amount of grumpyness The day before! But the following morning was a treat...

She woke up to find an empty house and a card with instructions on Telling her to got to the kitchen where breccie was laid on, another card telling her to go to the bathroom, which was decked out With candles, then another card telling her to go to the bedroom And get changed for a trip to town! Then when she got there her best mates were waiting to take to her to Mac and jac's for lunch and fizz, and there was a final card from me... She was chuffed

Rob

• Like 4

You are a comical man Mr p, that made me chuckle very much...

I was going to get some work done on these tonight, but I have just got back from the in laws and managed to eat a small mountain of food! There are a lot of things that can be said about my mother in law... Not many of them positive... But the lady can cook well and in volume. I genuinely do not know how she does it, if you were to watch her you would only see her with a few small pans on the go... I bet she just orders in really.

Anyway to keep on track I have this to say... Never in the history of human consumption, has so much been eaten, by so few...

Rob

• Like 6

I am worried... I have a high level of work on and a lot to sort out at home, I still think I will get these chaps finished but what about my spitfires!! Oh dear

Is the sun not still out? No leaves are falling from the beautiful trees in the garden!? The tractors are still rumbling past causing excitement for my kids each and every time, still full with potatoes and apples... Is all this information not correct?? The only real sign of change are the formations flying over head, vic after vic of migratory birds..... If this is what I am seeing, why, WHY, am I so panicked about how CHRISTMAS is going to be landed!! I actually woke up at 5:30 this morning as all this week I have been working early through to late and for most of next week I will be working through the night.... Not because its autumn... No because of Christmas! Christmas is stopping me from building hurricanes and spitfires! Santa better make up for this...

Rob

Oops you may have accidentally walked into a rant...

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

I am worried... I have a high level of work on and a lot to sort out at home, I still think I will get these chaps finished but what about my spitfires!! Oh dear

Don't worry too much Rob. Just try to finish your models to the best of your abilities and don't worry about not finishing them within the GB deadline.

Just keep progressing, even by a small bit at a time.

I think I can say I'm in a worst position than you regarding the number of builds and fulfilling deadlines, as discussed elsewhere ;)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

So hello,

I have been busy tonight! Did a few bits on DZ-C the 4 cannon c wing and then cracked on with some paint on DZ-W... nearly there now!

DZ-C has had its UC polished off

20151007_210814_zpsghjjiwp4.jpg

Nice and simple, pretty much ready for transfers and weathering which will be light chipping and washing

DZ-W has had a little more done tonight.

First off was a good lick of Hu 90, went on a bit dodgy to begin with but after few coats its ok.

20151007_210834_zpsjxegtkzx.jpg

That's nearly three coats, happy with that.

Then the UC

20151007_213610_zpstzvjkwm0.jpg

All went together fine, however both these wing conversions UC's are not 100% perfect as i think the work I have done chopping up the wings so close to the bays has moved them slightly, but I am happy enough with them

Next up was a few coats of Hu 29, went on a little thin but no bad thing just built up the layers.

20151007_212623_zpsrq7h2lxs.jpg

20151007_214226_zpscnafyuy6.jpg

So that's it for tonight. Couple more nights of work I could have these sorted!

And here are where the three are at!

20151007_214329_RichtoneHDR_zpsoka2f5me.

20151007_214347_RichtoneHDR_zps8tvthgo3.

So prop on and Hu 30 micromesh the lot gloss then transfers!

Rob

• Like 7

Cheers chap's,

I hope so jamie, I might be able to squeeze in a spitfire then!

On that note I had a sudden urge last night to just go for it! The results are mixed to be fair, but I am happy enough with how it has turned out but... well see for yourself.

I am still not flush for cash so I am being told I cannot buy the required transfer sheet, so I decided to have another go at masking the codes, I did this using tamiya tape but I might try it on the other ones using a template made from sticky back plastic.

During this process I broke the tail wheel and one of the UC wheels off the as i dropped the bugger... one of the mixed results

20151009_221224_zpsttzfkvxo.jpg

20151009_222328_zpsmrm0oq1g.jpg

Cople of process shots, the corners of the d are not painted as the curve was done by hand.

20151009_222715_zpsitthorw2.jpg

First result, and this has been tidied up a bit since

20151009_224919_zpstqc71v6c.jpg

Second Z...bugger! But I measured it and everything! Too wide... let's blame the fuselage curve.

20151009_233651_zpsnmwj7fkq.jpg

Using the same process I did the other side, which was better!

20151009_233708_zpsfiqm7etl.jpg

As you may have noticed I also added the upper roundels, these are frog ones which have settled really well... I did try the Airfix ones but managed to rip them.

20151009_234250_zpsgywinsyi.jpg

20151009_234307_zpsjhgnbq1j.jpg

Now these look undersized to me but check out this pic of beamish and teddy

Wing_Commander_F_V_Beamish_(right),_the_

Roundel could be fine but the letter codes are too thin... could be because the mesurments are from the kit transfers. ..

Well I would appreciate you thoughts on the whole thing really before I crack on with the others, I will not be changing the above as i am happy enough with it, but would like to make sure the others are correct

Cheers

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 5

Sorry to say I've not followed this regularly, looking good Rob, but regarding RAF squadron codes, they are the greatly misunderstood, as they are the big variable in RAF markings. Later in the war things settle down, but early on...well, the specfied size for fighters was 48 inches, that's four feet, or 120 cm.

Problem is, that won't fit even on a Hurricane. the nearest to the official size was 32 Sq with 40 inch codes.

There was also no 'font' or even a prescribed code order....

a chap put this up on Fine Scale Modeller

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/p/137680/1433121.aspx#1433121

some pics not showing, but certainly enough to illustrate the possible variations...and why generic code sheets are of limited use!

the width of letter stroke was usually 6 inches......

So, the answer is go with a photo....if not photo of desired subject, then a similar. After that no-one can prove you wrong ;)

HTH

T

• Like 1

Cheers both,

Troy that was a great link very handy, it had some clearer shots of the style I think 151's were in.

I think the codes need to be a little fatter but not as big, I have seen pictures of DZ-R but always felt these codes were too small in comparison to other AC's in the squadron, just going on other pic's I have seen.

I will have to do some stencils and see how it goes.

Ced, erks had it easy painting wise... It would be like the BFG painting letter codes on a bofb hurricane! To be fair, the task of painting the codes is not a bad one its getting the size right that's a ball ache!

Rob

Not sure about that stix.... see below!

So I have tried a new method, mask and cut out codes on a sheet of what can only be called sticky back plastic, then use this as a template for the squadron codes DZ.

Progress shots below

20151012_193040_zpsp8om9fzp.jpg

Masked on the sheet or clear sticky back plastic then cut with scalpel, then stick to the ac.

Apply paint... wait and remove

20151012_193723_zpsj96abqvc.jpg

Same results as the normal masking but letter size and shape is more consistent, so just needs a tidy up...

20151012_194500_zps2n18xl6y.jpg

Little bit of shine to be ignored as the paint was still wet when the pic was taken. I would say I am happy with that....

So full of confidence I start the next one....

Using the same mask I, painted, DIDN'T wait, and pulled the mask off

20151012_195720_zpsflbv5gza.jpg

Oooohhhh fffffffff........or goodness sake

I wait for that to dry while I cried about ruining my hard work. After it was dried I cleaned it up with HU 29 and HU 30.

20151012_200342_zpse3odo07b.jpg

These will definitely need to be viewed from a distance! But considering where it was I will take the end result....

Only a letter C to do! Oh and DZ-W X2 for Teddy's hurricane. ....bugger.... just get transfer sheets from now on!

Rob

• Like 6