A well deserved tip as you do some fine work jon.

20150728_213954_RichtoneHDR_zpsnpxr9brr.

And that's the wings sanded! It's like the 'difficult conversations' they were talking about in my training today.... not as bad if you just get on with them... luckily from a work point of view difficult conversations are not a problem. ... I like giving feedback :devil: .... but in modelling I think things are often well above me which are actually not that far sometimes....

Just the filling, scribing and plastic card to do now....

Rob

P.s. The cannons are wrong on one of the wings, bugger

Edited by rob85
  • Like 8

Well, the left wings set of cannons is the wrong way round...

They need removing and swapping over, not a massive task.

No jamie not that hard in the end just me moaning for no need! Thanks again for the advice on the sanding very helpful

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 2

Me again....

I decided to take a rest from the the wings before the next task, as I feel it will need some time and focus which I currently don't have.

So I decided to paint the DG (hu30) on DZ-Z, two quick coats thinned with water as apposed to flow improver as i had issues with my tiffie and thought I would try something different.

20150729_215051_RichtoneHDR_zps8lakrllq.

20150729_215106_RichtoneHDR_zpszgbxmstm.

20150729_215157_RichtoneHDR_zpsubdesly9.

And as the petulant child that I am I had to take off the maskol!

20150729_215637_RichtoneHDR_zpskai9ommn.

20150729_215652_RichtoneHDR_zpsiquxlef9.

Hmmmm bit heavy but can be worked with, I will give it a polish with 8000 micro mesh then tone it down ... I like the effect on the wing root, I will layer on steve's cunning trick from the reference thread for the black patch, a great tip so have a butchers.

Hopefully get a bit more time at the weekend.

Cheers

Rob

• Like 10

Looking really good Rob. The harness is a nice touch. Joe

• Like 1

Looking good Rob, the bear metal looks good, I'm sure it will tone down nicely. I have seen Steve tip, I will be trying that on mine and doing a bit of bear metal bits too.

• Like 1

So I did a bit of work this morning, I think there is some tidying up needed really but it's getting there.... fine from a foot or so!

I sanded the chipping and then painted over some of it e.g. The massive chips on the door panel (?) It wasn't even metal.

I then made a lighter shade of brown and painted the odd engine panel and some little squares to look like patches. If you look at pictures of squadrons at the hight of the BofB then there are a number that look like they could do with some tlc, so just trying to represent this... let's call it artist licence as there is no known pictures of this AC in service.

Also see a few pics of the process steve put on the reference thread

IMG_20150730_072951_zpstpey517x.jpg

(Just masked off with tamiya tape)

IMG_20150730_072945_zpszlpy8slu.jpg

20150730_184252_zpsfi8o2c6u.jpg

20150730_184339_zpswo4wlczk.jpg

20150730_184418_zpsambb67av.jpg

20150730_184454_zpsamvu40q0.jpg

So that's where we are at. Any thoughts on the effects? Do we think they are convincing?

Cheers all. I would like to get this one pretty much read for transfers then I will focus on DZ-C. Once she is in a good place with paint on i will hit DZ-W.... I will also be looking at how I make my own masks for the letter codes.

Cheers all

Rob
  • Like 7

Nice work Rob. I'd never heard of the cannon armed Mk 1 Hurri till i read your posts. Weathering looks great.

Cheers Greg. ... yours is coming along very hansomely as well!

Rob

Great recovery on the chipping Rob - I might have to try it myself now... nervous!

Those patches look great too - nice touch :)

• Like 1

Nice job so far Rob on a great project.

Don`t forget that the machine gun blast tubes on the single cannon wings will need to be covered over (ie filled in) and remember that the area around the cockpit was actually made from wood not metal, plus the rear part of the inner wing on fabric winged Hurri`s was also fabric, so be careful where you apply chipped paintwork showing silver.

Keep up the good work,

Tony.

PS- Rather than masking off codes why don`t you buy a couple of sheets of Xtradecal code letter sheets?

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Nice job so far Rob on a great project.

Don`t forget that the machine gun blast tubes on the single cannon wings will need to be covered over (ie filled in) and remember that the area around the cockpit was actually made from wood not metal, plus the rear part of the inner wing on fabric winged Hurri`s was also fabric, so be careful where you apply chipped paintwork showing silver.

Keep up the good work,

Tony.

PS- Rather than masking off codes why don`t you buy a couple of sheets of Xtradecal code letter sheets?

hi Tony, good shout about material positions for chipping I will revisit it and make sure. Yes gun ports! Of course, this can be sorted.

Thanks for the heads up.

I could buy the extra decal set, this is what I have done for the up coming spitfires, but part of me wants to give it a go and part of me.... My wife.... Won't let me spend then money, I have done a fair bit of this since starting my new job, so need to rein it in. Also the challenge is oddly appealing??

Thanks as ever Tony

Rob

• Like 1

I think the weathering looks good Rob. I had never heard of this type of Hurricane before you said, your post was the first I've heard of it. Well done, Joe.

• Like 1

Very kind comments Joe and hockey boy, very much appreciated!

I should have put something about the variants I was doing in the title thread, it would have made it a little clearer! I had never heard of them until I read the book mentioned in the first post... After reading that hurricane's with cannons flew in the battle I had to do them for the GB! Unfortunately the info is rather hazey on them so can't be sure of what they looked like, especially the mkic prototype!

Cheers chaps

Quick question, underwing roundels.... Is there a consensus on these, I know teddy was quite clear he wanted all aircraft to have them all through France, and I have seen decal options for with and with out for 151... Can I put them on legitimately?

Cheers for the link Jamie very helpful...

I put it briefly... France had roundels with black and white - got home and had just sky (but various shade if this books is to be believed) then august 40 sky with roundels.... Obviously this is very broad description of the books findings, and does not take into account any squadron specifics but it does give me time scales to work from

Cheers

Rob