Hi Rob. Sorry about the lost post :(

Didn't it 'autosave' for you? A message appears at the bottom of the 'post box' on my Mac. If you lose the post you can go back to the post box and click on the message to recover the last saved text. I've used it a couple of times... it's just not very intuitive :)

• Like 1

Only me!

Wait no longer Dan! And thanks for the comment

Hmmmm ced I will have to pay this some attention as losing a large post is hugely annoying.... maybe I should stop wittering on....

So let's try again.

First off sanded down the milliput on wings then finished off the interior work... but I forgot to take photos of that so here is all I have! Then I glued it all together....

20150909_102951_RichtoneHDR_zpsxrqrvuvh.

That was looks so poor, I think I left the paint for too long before washing away... the other side and rest of the CP looks just as good as the other! You will just have to take my word for it

20150909_110103_RichtoneHDR_zpstovzw51r.

20150909_110131_RichtoneHDR_zpstvwwarow.

20150909_110813_zpsyxn9nkvw.jpg

20150909_110806_zpscayap0f4.jpg

20150909_110954_zpsycvxdzyf.jpg

I then added the lower bit at the back (a correct term from the manual I think yu shall find! ) and got glue and my finger prints everywhere!

20150909_110922_zpspfgtqvwx.jpg

Looks really bad! Like I used to do when I was 9... oh well... for the morning session I left it there as i had to, do the washing up, clean the bath room, mop all floors, tidy the garden, hoover and clean the windows... all before picking up the boy at 2, which being a great husband I did.

So on my return I spent another half hour while the tea was on doing a few more bits. First off sanded back the seams with a fine emery board and then 3600 and 4000 micromesh, I also attacked the massive finger print and glue. I then sanded back the rest of the wings and the 10 thou card as it was to pronounced and the wings needed a bit more of a clean up, all done with the above micromesh.

20150909_192835_RichtoneHDR_zpsynivlmel.

20150909_192725_RichtoneHDR_zpsqgevnvzh.

Oh and I added the tail planes

20150909_192753_RichtoneHDR_zpspjxx13un.

20150909_192813_RichtoneHDR_zpsc025tuuu.

Look the finger print raised lines and all the glue is gone... but some paint is burnt into the plastic now from my finger.

20150909_192725_RichtoneHDR_zpsqgevnvzh.

I have also sanded back the dog house as i have decided to pose this one open...I also need to get some milliput and a wet finger in the wing root!

And that's it form tonight, I have also painted all the little bits flat aluminium that need it ready to be weathered and glued to the AC.

If you are wonding where it's mates up to here he is!

20150909_112937_zpsz85wefva.jpg

20150909_112929_zpsb9mvj618.jpg

20150909_112920_zpsmzgtuaor.jpg

20150909_112914_zpsoiwnwbh0.jpg

And if you didn't. ... tough! There it is!

It's hot to trot other than a but of hu30 on the tops of the cannons. Once the others are ready for transfers they will all get a polish and gloss cote and transfered together as the team mates they are.

Well that that I think....thoughts welcome

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 5

Hi Rob. Great to see more progress on these despite you leaving fingerprints everywhere! :winkgrin: We've all done it - I'm sure plastic glue goes into places we don't apply it! I frequently find I leave a trail of glue prints and have no idea where the glue has come from..........

Ah well..........keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Rob. Great to see more progress on these despite you leaving fingerprints everywhere! :winkgrin: We've all done it - I'm sure plastic glue goes into places we don't apply it! I frequently find I leave a trail of glue prints and have no idea where the glue has come from..........

Ah well..........keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Stix

I know stix! I thought I had only put a bit on and then I kept pooing out... well it's sorted now, won't be the first or the last time

Rob

• Like 1

So not wanting to let the grass grow and all that I thought I would get a little bit done tonight

20150911_202041_RichtoneHDR_zpsifduapzg.

20150911_202120_RichtoneHDR_zpssz3pzsmp.

Both side needed filling after my vigorous sanding took some off where it should not have. I find this method the easiest now, milliput pushed into place then rubbed down with a wet finger, all covered and just needs a tiny bit of work on the covered panel lines... but at least there is no sanding somewhere I find very awkward and even more detail that needs reinstating.

So as that needed to dry before the next step of panel lines and paint I thought I would crack on with something else.... Teddy's wings.

Teddy is the main reason I thought of this build so probably best to save him till last. DZ-W was his last mount, he left the squadron mid battle and not long before they were sent off the front line group to rest due to their intense fighting, by this point the squadron had seen a lot of of action in France and in the Channel in the lead up to the battle with little break before BofB really hit, something they were in the thick of, all were worn out and needed rest, none more so than Teddy ... Teddy was a man that lead from the front and was on most sorties with the guys, not to unlike his boss victor beamish a very well thought of Irish man. ... Hmmmm I do have another hurricane kit and set of metal wings, I also know that for when he flew I was given DZ-B.... anyway food for thought.

So I have so far sanded back the detail on these then micromeshed them smooth, probably cut them tomorrow night unless the wife stays out with her mate after yoga...

20150911_202251_RichtoneHDR_zpsvxzrkw45.

20150911_202302_RichtoneHDR_zpsvdc1pyak.

Before

20150911_203626_RichtoneHDR_zps1ntsyjsb.

20150911_210506_RichtoneHDR_zps8henyckr.

After

The flaps need a bit more sanding me thinks

Cheers all

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 8

Rob,

Your courage to do all the surgery needed for building the metal-winged Hurrys is admirable! And the results are great! I don't think I would do it myself... Looking forward to your progress.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Rob,

Your courage to do all the surgery needed for building the metal-winged Hurrys is admirable! And the results are great! I don't think I would do it myself... Looking forward to your progress.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jamie, that's very kind of you to say! I have to say that so far its been less stressful than anticipated which is good... And I am happy enough with the result.

I did build the set of wings to the new airfix kit just need to chop them up now.... Seams wrong to do so, the UC bay went together like a dream this time, just chucked it on then put the wings on top and the pulled it into place. Photos tonight

Rob

• Like 1

I am sure you are all getting tired by my daily posts with small amounts of progress .... but here is another!

So work continues on Teddy's wings. After cutting the old set apart ready for the transplant, I moved onto the new tool set. As i said above the went together no problem at all.

20150911_220252_zpsfuox8xyo.jpg

So following leaving them to set over night I then chopped them up...

20150912_195544_zpsyizrrdyo.jpg

20150912_195609_zpssyg7unjo.jpg

Now the cut is no where near as good as the last one, and the older wings are slightly wider than the new. I have lined these up at the trailing edge as i find it easier to sand back the leading edge. It's looking like after a good sand I will need to redo the reinforcement on upper and lower and then the rescribe which could be alot of work.

However one thing I am much happier about is this time I have dihedral!

20150912_195745_zpsmmho48qd.jpg

Better?

So now that is setting before I start what looks like a lot of sanding.... so unfortunately I have to start on my next project

20150912_200304_zpstwzujpd0.jpg

A kind thought from the wife out at the shops today.... actually a rather tasty tipple .... and the ale ain't to bad either.

Hope your having a lovely evening all...

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 7

Just Ced no problem... I need to remember the audience is not building them with me and my get lost, a little bit of clarity would be good!

Tonight I will pop a post together of where all three are at, as a sort of state of play for the build

Rob

• Like 2

Rob,

Please keep posting your progress, as small as it may be. I really appreciate WIPs where the progress is explained to us all, so that we can learn from the difficulties and successes found along the way.

Keep posting your good work!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

So to give a bit of a clarity and show where this build is at here are some group shots.

20150913_201509_RichtoneHDR_zpsuozzodkk.

20150913_201600_RichtoneHDR_zpszrqbonrq.

20150913_201628_RichtoneHDR_zpsb3sqfbh3.

So that's where we are...

Far left is the mki 20 mm cannon protoype DZ-Z, this was a rag wing mki with two 20 mm cannon pods under wing. She is pretty much ready for glossing and transfers.

Middle is the mki with protoype c wing DZ-Z, this held 4 20 mm cannons but was still only a mki tin wing with DH prop.... not upgraded engine on arrival, weather this was retro fitted later I do not know. She needs the UC finished and a good lock of paint to get her ready for transfers.

Far right is the beginning of Teddy's machine, a mki tin wing which I am doing by converting the rag wing kit using old airfix wings, it will be done as his last machine with 151 DZ-W. It's got a way to go till its transfer ready! The wings will need a full sand down and some re shaping across the leading edge, then a full rescind and add plastic strip for the reinforcement on the wing.

The two protoypes will be styled as of end of September when 151 were sent off front line duties so will not be pristine, and will have underwing roundels.

Teddy's AC will be in the style of when he left 151 which was very early August so no underwing roundels, it will also be in good condition as it was his replacement AC after leaving his last one parked in the channel....

So that's where we are chaps, nearly half way I would say??

Cheers

Rob

• Like 4