So am i Rob. This week i intended to get a lot done, and i have, just none involving plastic! We have been thinking about buying a campervan for a while now and the right one popped up so we got it bought. Only problem is i now have to turn the front lawn into a driveway for it so i've been digging that out. Malvern soil is very bloody hard to dig out by hand.... I should stop being a skinflint and hire a mini digger, but you can buy an awful lot of plastic kits for the price of that. (Not that i have the time to build them.. :banghead: )

Hopefully soon though! In the meantime i'll follow yours!

Nick

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So hello again! Finally got my backside into gear and moved forward on this.

I have parked the mki c DZ-C for now until I get mki cannon protoype DZ-Z ready for transfers. A little work tonight.... landing gear added, again fiddly little task but actually went a lot better than thought and found the engineering to make it very easy to get a straight and level UC, which was nice.

20150829_220812_RichtoneHDR_zpsmvyw3kkc.

20150829_220822_RichtoneHDR_zpsieolwo9a.

20150829_220831_RichtoneHDR_zpssyxgcyet.

20150830_223944_RichtoneHDR_zpsjsmb00as.

I also painted the lower halves of the cannon pods and over painted the chipping done on the bottom. Still need a bit more touching up.... but then tell me something that doesn't (fn

aar fnaar)

Other bits done were the exhausts painted and weathered a bit and the prop assembled ready for glueing.

20150830_223917_RichtoneHDR_zpsxdk0ny8y.

20150830_223902_RichtoneHDR_zpskw8dtw7r.

So getting there... I would like to get this ready for transfers by tomorrow, then I can focus again on DZ-C before making a start on DZ-W....

Cheers all!

Rob

• Like 9

Cheers sean, not really matching your turnaround time but plugging away.

Glued the prop in place and had a little go at painting the wheels this morning. Also been looking at letter codes. to move the build along I may follow Tony's good advice and just get a sheet of them... Only irritation is that the sky coloured code sheet comes with the right amount of D's and Z's but the medium grey sheet is one Z short... Dam!

Rob

• Like 1

Cheers both, I decided to weather this a bit more than the others as flt/Lt R L smith flew this AC on over 80 sorties before the bofb was done and was his preferred AC over the four cannoned and slower DZ-C. He also describes getting into a lot of action with me 109's, and even being wounded in it due to cannon fire from a bomber shattering the armoured perspex, he carried a splinter from this his whole life (talk about being one with your AC), after which it was patched up and back on duty.

Glad you like it its the first time I have used stews maskol trick and Steve's walkway trick...

Cheers

Rob

• Like 3

Cheers stix. This one is now ready for transfers really, I have had to fix the wheels as i set them then dropped it breaking tail wheel and main UC... but all sorted now. Pictures up once I actually get a bit of peace!

Next focus will be finishing the wings for the mki c!

Rob

• Like 3

Well Tuesday and Wednesday should be productive days... The wife has started work the kids are back at school but I am off work!! So apart for catching up on jobs round our house I will be focussing on my hurricanes!

Till then....

Rob

• Like 4

Hello again,

As I said, the wife is at work and kids are at school.... well one is the other preschool so I need to get that one at 2. So after dropping them of and swinging by waitrose for a free coffee (so funny seeing all the people you just left at the school gates doing the same! ) and a bite to eat I started on the wings of the mki c.

So I started by adding the now missing reinforcement using 10 thou card, a craft knife and a ruler... I used my hase 1:48 hurricane mk iic as a guide (very rough just wanted the shape close enough)

20150908_115342_RichtoneHDR_zps4c0qyucm.

(This one is being done slowly behind the scenes and will be a malta based hurri to go with the spitfire I did)

So this is how the first finished up

20150908_111039_RichtoneHDR_zps70p37189.

It's as close as i could get it.... I need to do some tidying up with micromesh after all this work has set!

Then the second

20150908_113728_RichtoneHDR_zpssa8gwtow.

As you may notice I also rescribed the panel lines I obliterated on the inner section of the wing, ruler pin vice going over pencil lines using the left over bits of panel lines as a guide.

I also filled using milliput, put clumps on and then rubbed back with a wet finger.... works well enough for me to fill larger gaps. Dug out the panel lines that had got a bit filled and then left this to set.

Underside!

20150908_114703_RichtoneHDR_zpszphktc1w.

So work done here is filling the gaps from the wing op same method as above, tiny bit of work on the rescribe, then lots of milliput to fill the lower panel line, I have left this to set and then sand as this works best for panel line filling than the old wet finger trick!

Sit need to sort the wonky cannons and a good old micromesh once set! Then the interior detailing.

Also I needed the propellers from the metal wing sets I have as the rag wing one is not right... so I stole this from my two old builds.... poor chaps! What do you call a hurricane with no nose.... broken really?

20150908_113928_RichtoneHDR_zpsuv74eyhe.

How do they smell? ......Awful.... these will be sanded back a bit and repainted

Cheers all thoughts welcome

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 6

Hi Rob,

A lot of impressive work going on here! I know it is very laborious and lengthy but shows your attention to detail and is fundamental for achieving a great end result.

Looking forward to seeing further progress!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Cheers chaps,

I really appreciate the words of encouragement, very helpful to hear! It's my first ettempt at any kind of surgery... before this it was just seat belts and rolling milliput.

Jamie, I was worried that it would be but actually It was good and didn't take too long. I mainly just happy it wasn't a car crash! Nice to have something different that can't be bought out the box on the shelf!

Mr p, cheers! I thought I would be rather poor at all this but I have suprised myself by achieving an ok level of work! Give it a go.... though I am aware your emotions around putting yourself out there are somewhat more complex.... if it helps do it (it would turn out fine) and we would say it's not very good which would mean there was less expectation put on you there after...i've over though this haven't I. ....

Cookie! Cheers for popping by, you still far from home? Thanks for the comment.

Rob

• Like 3

Mr p, cheers! I thought I would be rather poor at all this but I have suprised myself by achieving an ok level of work! Give it a go.... though I am aware your emotions around putting yourself out there are somewhat more complex.... if it helps do it (it would turn out fine) and we would say it's not very good which would mean there was less expectation put on you there after...i've over though this haven't I. ....

I, uh, actually dried wing surgery a few weeks back. Best not discussed in depth.

• Like 2