Hi Rob, glad you had a good time and got home safe. Joe

• Like 1

So chaps!

I have glued the cannon pods... easy really

20150726_190423_RichtoneHDR_zpsxkpob8ye.

20150726_190440_RichtoneHDR_zpskzmkmosr.

20150726_190451_RichtoneHDR_zpswmraq1rw.

However dry fitting the little cannon barrels not so good, they didn't fit flush in the pods so I tried to trim a bit

20150726_192201_RichtoneHDR_zpsjamvpwtf.

Hmmmm that would be a bit too much! The bugger snapped! This has now been glued and left...

So I then decided to bite the bullet and start cutting up some plastic... I have made a start on DZ-C the 4 cannon protoype.

First up was cutting up the mkii c wings

20150726_192434_RichtoneHDR_zpstvidyvkf.

Following the very prominent panel line for the bracing with a razor blade repetitively to remove the wing I ended up with this.

20150726_192850_RichtoneHDR_zpslk5qehax.

Not to bad... needs a clean up. Next up was the the mki wings. Same method but cutting fore to aft alla jon's advice with a razor and steady hand, I left some over to sand etc.

20150726_194739_zpsyv8evnyf.jpg

I did this for top and bottom wings and then assembled the mki undercarriage. .. tricky little thing decided not to paint first as it caused me some bother last time as the tolerance is so tight.

20150726_195949_zpsmyajhanf.jpg

20150726_195956_zpsgiickjvj.jpg

20150726_200726_zpsse0fvdwx.jpg

20150726_214142_zps6benzd5d.jpg

So let's ignore the fact my cutting is probably poor for a min and just look at how the wings have mated... yes they are indeed glued so not much I can do now, in for a penny etc

20150726_215043_zpspxm9sbsz.jpg

20150726_215101_RichtoneHDR_zpsrfdupgwh.

Panel lines all match up ok, no photo of the under sides but there is a little work needed by the flaps in the way of a re scribing but nothing to horrific.... what is horrific is the fact the mkii c wings are wider but shallower than the mki.... god dam it! So please let me know your thoughts otherwise is lots of sanding and re scribing and filling... which I was expecting, I was even expecting the width issue, but that step looks a right bugger!

Oh well hope this all make sense to you...

Rob... looking forward to the treat of two spitfire's oob after this

• Like 5

Hi Rob,

I admire your courage in going this way.

Regarding the step, from the photos it seems the middle section is the thicker one. If so, I believe it is a better situation than if it was the wings that were thicker. I would try to file the steps, first with a round or half-round section file, very carefully. Then I'd use a series of sanding sticks, from rough to smooth. After that, I'd fill in the seams with super-glue and, after dry, with putty. When dry, I'd sand the putty smooth with wet & dry and would check the seams with a grey paint or primer.

Hope this is helpful. This is how I take care of steps but I don't think I ever faced one like those.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

If it is possible to detach the outer wings, some 'pit-props' of thick stretched sprue or plastic rod could be inserted in the gap between the upper and lower outer wing panels... if that could be done correctly it would raise the height of the outer wing (or deepen the depth of it, if you prefer) so reducing the step and possibly pulling the front and back of the outer wings in a little too, thereby reducing the width issue...

Not as complicated as it sounds but not guaranteed outside of the theory and I probably didn't describe it too well, sorry...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

No need for a sorry stew, makes perfect sense. I will have to have a look when I get home to see if there is any way of doing it! Cheers for the suggestion though very helpful.

Hi Jamie, thanks for the sanding tips very helpful, I will look at stews idea but fear you advice will be needed a lot if I cannot do that .

Currently broken down on the m50... Bloody car.

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rob - sorry to hear about the wing problems but I'm sure you'll sort them.

I hope you get the car sorted too.

Heck, Mondays eh?

Hi Rob,

Stew's advice would be the first approach. It is always better to bridge large gaps or steps with sprue or plastic sheet/rod before embarking on some sanding/filing/filling fun :)

Good luck with that :thumbsup2:

Jaime

I agree with Stews advice too. Looks like you have some fun ahead.

indeed I do! I have never taken on anything remotely like this before so I will hopefully learn a lot.... However a quality end result is no sure thing!

Rob

• Like 1

Brave fella Rob, but I reckon you'll get it sorted. It does look an interesting conversion, fingers crossed and all that,

Sean

• Like 1

So chaps! Taking on board all your wonderful advice I have come up with the below:

1. Stew your plan is cunning and one of merit, had I not jumped in and welded the wing on with ploy cement which is now very much hardened I would have given this a go.

2. Jaime your sanding tactics will be employed to reduce the step! I will try my best not to sand off the cannon bulges! How would I protect them?

3. Jon! Boom! Flying in there with they plasticard! I did remember you posted about sanding the reinforcement into oblivion (that's not a direct quote...) and then replacing with thin card.... your cunning you are(can't be bothered to link to black adder so all please search you tube for "blackadder cunning plan" then pick your own) I will sand the step then hide the mess with thin card mimicking a reinforcement.

So sand levelish, card reinforcement and re scribe where sanded but don't take lumps off!! Sound fair?

Cheers chaps you a massive help

Rob

• Like 3

There you go, told you you'd get it sorted :thumbsup:

Sean

Cheers Sean, still slightly crapping it as to weather I will pull it off or just ruined what was a perfectly buildable model by airfix.... One can but try these thing ya know!?

Rob

The best way to learn, Lord knows it's the only way I found out anything. It used to be I

didn't even paint canopies, or have good brushes , the stuff I've picked up in the last

couple of years is unreal compared to what I used to know.

Doesn't always mean I know what I doing though :shrug:

Sean

• Like 1

Bravo sir, we will be with you all the way.

PS you kind of have the opposite problem to me, as in my build the donor wings were slightly too thick

Hmmmm, is this your way of letting me know of what is to come? Are you doing a full re scribe? Could you sand back to take the detail and carry on for a couple of mm, then re scribe??

Cheers for the comments all very much appreciated

Rob

• Like 1

I will try my best not to sand off the cannon bulges! How would I protect them?

I would suggest protecting the bulges with masking tape. Near the bulges use the half-round section file. The round face should be used for filing and since it is half-round, you have clearance on the opposite face to go nearer corners or raised detail. The whole point of using round or half-round files is that you reduce to contact area between the file and the plastic and the file should be used in a perpendicular (-ish) direction to the joint. If you do not have much space, use the section of the file nearer the tip. Always proceed carefully and with lots of patience... Do not press the file too hard against the plastic. Just use it to a point where the sanding sticks can take over.

Good luck!

Jaime

• Like 1

Hmmmm, is this your way of letting me know of what is to come? Are you doing a full re scribe? Could you sand back to take the detail and carry on for a couple of mm, then re scribe??

Cheers for the comments all very much appreciated

Rob

Pretty close, had to scribe everything outboard of the reinforcement, and then rescribe after fettling the wing joints
  • Like 1

Pretty close, had to scribe everything outboard of the reinforcement, and then rescribe after fettling the wing joints
where are your pictures man! Only kidding... sounds fun though which donor wing did you use? Or can I just go to you wonderful build thread and find out.... I will check there actually.... you do have pictures up and they look like airfix donors so looks like I have the same joy! Nice work by yourself! ( http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234985634-hurricane-mk-i-303-polish-squadron-september-1940/if you all want to see)
Any how enough about jon.... I have hit this and hit it hard with a sanding stick! Well actually my sanding stick is a nail file I got free from work, its not too corse and get rid of plastic! But I then followed that up with a new thing to me.... This make me feel like a proper modeler now.... micromesh! This stuff is ace and we'll worth getting!! I mean I am shocked at the finish it gives, why didn't I do it before....
So here is the result and comparison with the other wing..... very much a wwnd moment (I stole that from ced's thread (Baby) so cheers ced) (bit of contex for the baby bit
)
Anyway see below
20150728_205354_zpsgixq8oz7.jpg
20150728_205414_zpswatmo0la.jpg
20150728_205520_zpsn7uo6p3l.jpg
20150728_205426_zpsllhqlhms.jpg
20150728_205432_zpsqd1x0v5w.jpg
Also it's turned out that I won't need to do masses of rescribeing as most of the detail taken off will put back with plastic card so just a few bits to bring back out! Result.... Micro mesh used was 3600 followed by 4000. Once the other side is complete I will spot fill and polish where needed and tidy the wing edges.
I am annoyed I didn't think about this though.
20150728_205450_zpsqwybfabc.jpg
Nothing like zero dihedral on an ac eh? Oh well a good lesson for you and me as I still have the metal wing to do.
What are your thoughts people of britmodeller?
Cheers
Rob
  • Like 4

Looks excellent work, glad the sanding micro mesh and reinstate route is working out. Thanks for the hat tip to my thread, I'm afraid that I often think WWND but then bottle it and go for an easy compromise!

• Like 1