Right chaps.... my hat is in the ring.

So I have tried three time to do this post so hopefully this is the lucky time!

This year for me has been about reading up on the BofB. ... obviously. And one chap in that reading caught my attention! This chap

51oBj9zQF1L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I mean look at him! What's not to like... read the book he has had a colourful life! But the bit I want to do is his last hurricane while commanding 151 sqn DZ-W. I also want to do a few of the squadrons interesting stable mates.

So the kits!

20150705_112415_RichtoneHDR_zpsing1jp4t.

Are these poor souls.... They will be modified (why didn't I just re scribe the old tool)

So up first! Teddy's mount on leaving 151 (he had 9 crashes in his life... two I think being in the BofB and both were into the channel (actually one may have been the battle of France) one he walked in when they were looking at appointing a replacement. ..) which will be DZ-W not DZ-M as on the book. I chose DZ-W In a way to recreate the model the squadron gave him on his departure during the BofB. .. A brass mki with DZ-W on it. I will be using photos of DZ-R and other references from books and Internet of the squadron as they were not photographed that often.

So wing chopped off and these added

20150705_112943_RichtoneHDR_zpsj96kezmq.

20150705_112954_RichtoneHDR_zpsay0fpiad.

Hopefully this is within 25%? They will be chopped up and have a lot of work done?

Next up is DZ-Z fabric wing cannon protoype armed with twin 20 mm cannons. I will be using the freightdog's resin conversion kit. This AC was first posted to 76 squadron (?) And then arrived at 151 to be flown by R.L. 'Dick' Simth.

So this will be oob with the cannon and 5 spoke wheels added.

20150705_112755_RichtoneHDR_zpsfrn93euh.

20150705_112832_RichtoneHDR_zpsiczkaqh6.

Thanks to Colin@freightdog for letting me know it was back in stock and very reasonably priced!

Next is a bit of a funny one to nail down, but I have gone with what appears to be the conclusion of a mki with protoype metal c wing for DZ-C also flown by Dick Smith in 151 both these protoypes he scored kills in.... not bad as they were underpowered with the cannons attached but obviously packed a punch in the right hands.

So the below will be used...

20150705_112516_RichtoneHDR_zpsydto5gmc.

Now this could be tricky as marrying the two up could be difficult!

20150705_112613_RichtoneHDR_zpsxh2qejd3.

Hmmmm could be interesting. ....

Also here is a picture before getting to the squadron

v7360.jpg

Mk I?

More info on the prototypes can be found here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234957663-l1750-hurricane-dz-z-cannons/

So that's the opening gambit!

Let me know your thoughts or if you have any more info?!.... its a hurricane so that's the troy signal in the sky! Lol (only joking troy)

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 14

Cheers stix (my auto correct doesn't like your name).... either that or a car (plane I suppose is more appropriate) crash.... All to play for

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

Cheers stick.... either that or a car (plane I suppose is more appropriate) crash.... All to play for

Rob

They'll be great I'm sure!
  • Like 1

Very cool!

I only wonder if the cannon fairings on the DZ-Z photo are complete or they lack the front parts (probably conical). The holes the barrels stick out through of the fairings seems to be very big.

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 1

Very cool!

I only wonder if the cannon fairings on the DZ-Z photo are complete or they lack the front parts (probably conical). The holes through the barrels stick out of the fairings seems to be very big.

Hmmmm, a good shout! Looking at both the pictures neither have the conical end.... possible earlier cannon design?

Did you end up completing your DZ-Z? As any take on this AC would be a help!

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1

Did you end up completing your DZ-Z? As any take on this AC would be a help!

Unfortunately not. Had no time, little children, home move... But this project is very high on my list.

Cheers!

G.

Now this could be tricky as marrying the two up could be difficult!

Hmmmm could be interesting. ....

Also here is a picture before getting to the squadron

v7360.jpg

Mk I?

More info on the prototypes can be found here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234957663-l1750-hurricane-dz-z-cannons/

So that's the opening gambit!

Let me know your thoughts or if you have any more info?!.... its a hurricane so that's the troy signal in the sky! Lol (only joking troy)

Rob

Well Rob

I saw the posted pic, very interesting, not seen this pic before, do you know where it's from, a book, but which one.

Yes, it's a Mk I, assuming the date/information is correct.

The colour info I'd say was wrong, if the date is correct, then the undersides are Sky, and would have been built painted Sky.

the 'dark bands' are probably primered wing joint cover parts, note also the unpainted (?) cannon fairings. I would expect both of these to have been painted before squadron trials.

V7360 is part of this batch, so modified after being taken from the production line.

Block 4, Fourth Hawker Produced Block

Serial Range V7200 - V7209 (10), V7221 - V7260 (40), V7276 - V7318 (43), V7337 - V7386 (50), V7400 - V7446 (47), V7461 - V7510 (50), V7533 - V7572 (40), V7588 - V7627 (40), V7644 - V7690 (47), V7705 - V7737 (33), V7741 - V7780 (40), V7795 - V7838 (44), V7851 - V7862 (12), AS987 - AS990 (4) Total 500
V7863 - V7900 (38), V7917 - V7956 (40), V7970 - V8000 (31), V8023 - V8068 (46), V8088 - V8127 (40) Total 195, Order cancelled aircraft not built.
Aircraft produced by Hawker Aircraft Limited at Langley. To Contract 62305/39, powered by Rolls-Royce Merlin III's. Aircraft deliveries commenced on the 2nd July, 1940 and were completed on the 5th February, 1941. Average rate of production about two aircraft per day. The first 25 aircraft of this block were completed with fabric covered wings, but were later modified to metal wings at Maintenance Units, the remaining 475 aircraft completed with metal wings by manufacturer.

http://www.k5083.mistral.co.uk/APS.HTM

The comment about the drum feed and limited ammunition supply is interesting.

the standard cannon armed IIc used a belt feed, I presume this is the same Chatellerault feed, but note the initial Spitfire cannon mounting, the B wing, used a 60 round drum, the C wing using the belt feed system.

I had to look up the spelling of Chatellerault, and found this page

RAF Guns of WW II

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=17075

which goes into much more detail on all RAF guns, but some very useful information on the Hispano cannon.

this is a pic there of the IIC

http://forum.axishistory.com/download/file.php?id=10467&sid=c4e1788f300c98e2eb7a9acbf8784aea

Now, the Hurricane C wing has small bulges to allow fitting of these feeds, as does the Spitfire, but compare the bulges on Spitfire VB, which has them to and bottom of wing, with Spit VC, no large blister on lower wing.

the point I'm making is that there may well have been different or larger bulges on the trial cannon installation on V7360, though the Hurricane wing is considerably thicker.

After typing this, looking at the Revell wing parts, the bulges are a bit big and wrong shape for the real IIC, so may well do very well left alone for a different bulge!

I'll edit in a pic when I find one

best I could find

MG_7791.jpg

20150705_112613_RichtoneHDR_zpsxh2qejd3.

• Like 1

Troy!! You are always so useful when it comes to hurricanes, and spitfires for that matter, though I know they are not your first love!

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php?topic=225265.30

Here is a link to where the photo was found... Sorry should have put this in the first post... It is from Tim mason's the secret years.

I have to say it didn't come up at all when I was first looking, now if you type 'v7360 hurricane' into Google images its the second one to come up... Handy image to have really.

Also ommited from my first post was my thanks to the very kind 'black knight' of this very parish for pinging the much needed hurri wings to me in the post.... Cheers black knight

Rob

Hang on a min.... You mean to say I am doing the same in 1/72 as A&AEE did over 70 odd years ago! Plonking the cannon wings on a mki... Does that mean the seam can be crap?

• Like 2

Well I have the typhoon to get to at least nearly finished status... So these may be a little delayed. I will see how the weekend goes and may start the first cannon prototype with the resin conversion to see how the kit works... Never built one of these so before I chop them up I should get to know them! I not a serial killer!! I meant the hurricanes.... I only chop up plastic....

Rob

chaps after some fine advise from some wise chaps on my typhoon thread, I have had a break to let it dry and start this!

first one up is DZ-Z as it is really only the mki fabric wing with cannon pods!

So tonight it's the internal details as per below! Lots of flat aluminium, and Hu 78

20150711_211316_RichtoneHDR_zps2cclf5hx.

20150711_211342_RichtoneHDR_zpsdifvws6r.

20150711_211350_RichtoneHDR_zpsd4syrvdg.

This got a little wash to high light detail, I will go back over the piping with flat aluminium to bring them out

Then I painted everything in the uc I could find and the areas of metal on the wings as i want to give chipping with maskol a wiz.

20150711_211236_RichtoneHDR_zps0n7y3ven.

20150711_211403_RichtoneHDR_zpsbl341rn6.

20150711_211424_RichtoneHDR_zpsddq0tfwy.

20150711_211438_RichtoneHDR_zpsvquw0bkt.

20150711_211453_RichtoneHDR_zps5xrs82my.

So that's the first steps for me... this is a very lovely kit! Shame i'm building it, poor thing...

Let me know if you see anything that is wrong!

Rob

• Like 5

the areas of metal on the wings as i want to give chipping with maskol a wiz.

20150711_211236_RichtoneHDR_zps0n7y3ven.

So that's the first steps for me... this is a very lovely kit! Shame i'm building it, poor thing...

Let me know if you see anything that is wrong!

Rob

Upperwing metal extends as far as edge of gun access panels, noted error in kit. Visible here due colour change

large.jpg

here due to dust!

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_mk1_l1592/images/hurricane_mk1_l1592_04_of_26.jpg

But,panel at wing root rear is fabric covered

this one

Hurricane17sqdamaged_zps9106b20e.jpg

Just in case you have not seen it

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_mk1_l1592/

walkround of L1595 hanging up in the Science Museum, lots and lots of detail.

HTH

• Like 2

I got a bit of time this morning as the kids were being good so got the below done

Painted the IP and got the transfer on. Also put the seat together and added so tamiya tape seat belt.

image_zpsx0jwk5ae.jpg

Sorry about the funny angle, photobucket isn't saving my edits.

I also assembled the uc.... what a fiddly job getting that lined up! Very frustrating! But get there.

image_zpsjxx4gx3k.jpg

With that finished I went about the control column etc

image_zpsxcasio6z.jpg

Then she got buttoned up!

image_zpsjgfmkrsd.jpg

Bit of a gap just in front of the CP but a swipe of filler will sort that. I have to say the kit is a bit fiddly but it's very good... apart from the trailing edge of the wing, there is a gap which will not close and it should! All obstructions where removed it should be flat as a pancake! Oh well touch more filler.

Cheers chaps

Rob

• Like 8

Rob, good work you have there. I like your approach of painting the metal parts for later chipping. I've done that on some models and the results are very realistic. This kit also looks really detailed. I may be tempted to build one next year in the Hurricane GB :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Rob, good work you have there. I like your approach of painting the metal parts for later chipping. I've done that on some models and the results are very realistic. This kit also looks really detailed. I may be tempted to build one next year in the Hurricane GB :)

Cheers

Jaime

That would be a cracking idea Jamie, I should if all goes well, still have one in the stash after this so may keep it by with that in mind.

TBH there are so many hurricanes I would like to build I could go nuts with the GB!

Rob

• Like 1