The Few

Hey folks,

My contribution to the GB will be the superb 1/10 scale bust by Life Miniatures entitled "The Few" representing a BoB fighter pilot being welcomed back from a sortie by his faithful Cocker Spaniel (well it'll start off as superb at least, it may not be so after I'm finished with it ;))

This will be my build thread and I will post pics here just before I start building the kit and as it progresses, which may be well after the GB starts as I've another couple of projects on the go at the minute.

In the meantime here is a pretty good review of the kit (and some decent reference too): http://www.themodellingnews.com/2014/03/review-life-miniatures-new-bust-few.html

Thanks for tuning in :)

• Like 9

Thanks guys :)

It is indeed an impressive model (with an equally impressive price tag). I hope I can do it, and the memory of those he represents, justice.

Just about to start properly now. Some prep has already been done as you can see from the pics. I removed all the pour plugs and cleaned up mould lines etc.

I also drilled out the pedestal ready to recieve the resin pillar that supports the bust but I might have to get a new pedestal as I drilled out the centre of this one where it would have been better to drill a little bit forward of the centre to suit the way the bust is balanced (I also damaged the pedestal slightly with my pilot drill but nothing too serious). I'll see how it looks once everything starts to come together. At this stage I attached the support pillar to the torso and whilst I had the glue out I put together the comms cabling.

So this is where I am at the moment:

The_Few-1.jpg

The_Few-2.jpg

Some of my reference for this piece:

The_Few-3.jpg

The_Few-4.jpg

The_Few-5.jpg

Thanks again for tuning in :)

• Like 5

Good to see this one started. I find figures difficult to get right. I shall be watching with interest to see how you do this one.

• Like 1

Checking parts fit together - stuck together with Blu-Tac, last photo is for scale reference:

The_Few-6.jpg

The_Few-7.jpg

The_Few-8.jpg

The_Few-9.jpg

The_Few-10.jpg

The_Few-11.jpg

The_Few-12.jpg

The detail and fit is superb, this is a classy lump of resin - destruction will start soon but at least I can now look back at these photos and fondly remember when it looked good :)

• Like 9

I plan on incorporating this famous poster on the plynth somehow, I've not decided on the details yet but I'm sure I'll think of something before the end of October....probably...maybe

Hey folks,

Onto the planning stage now :) As figure kits don't normally come with instructions, this planning stage is crucial to a smooth and stress free build. Its a little bit like opening your typical aircraft or AFV kit, scrabbling about with your eyes closed for the instruction sheet then ripping it up and throwing it in the bin. Then you have to work out the best way to put all the bits together and paint it using only the box art for guidance. All good fun :)

This particular bust is quite complex from a painting point of view and it isn't practical to construct everything before painting so it'll have to be done in stages. Otherwise there would be many areas that would be very difficult, if not impossible, to reach with the brush. His face will have to be painted before the cheek pieces are attached and the position of his left arm will create problems with access to his left side and the inside of the arm so I'll paint the left side and the inside of the arm before attaching it. The test fit phase also highlighted that pooch will need to be fixed in place before the right hand goes on as he won't fit though the gap otherwise.

So, on to steps 1, 2 and 3 in the virtual instruction sheet that I now have in my head:

1. Mount the head on a stick for easy handling (check)

2. Attach right arm to torso and mount on a wooden block for easy handling (check)

3. Make a spaniel (check)

I haven't used any glue for the major parts; I have been experimenting with a 50:50 mix of Milliput and Green Stuff lately and its working quite well as an all-in-one adhesive and filler. It is easy to manipulate, has a long handling time and creates a surprisingly strong joint when it sets with no pinning necessary (at least on plastic and resin, I think I'd still use a pin on heavy white metal components just to be on the safe side).

Anyhoo, here's where I'm at so far:

The_Few-13.jpg

Thanks for looking in and, as usual, comments and critique are most welcome :)

• Like 3

I'm struggling to find good quality reference pics of the life vests that were worn during the battle. Most pics I've found are of the 1941 pattern "Mae West" type vest, obviously a little late to see action in the battle :(

There is a single photo on the box (you can see it in the first photo above). Admittedly, reference isn't one of my strong points but even I wouldn't rely on a single unsourced image.

Can anyone help me out with a pic or two, preferably colour, or at least point me in the right direction. If you can then you will officially be my best mate till the end of the group build ;)

Many thanks in advance

Thanks Phil. Those pics are perfect, especially the first link. :)

My Google Fu is 真棒 (awesome).

Glad to help.

Looking forward to this as I have only done one bust in my life (and it was a fantasy figure for a review).

• Like 1

Thats a very nice project. This figure looks stunning. Guess your topic will give me some good ideas about to paint a figure....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Things have stalled somewhat with this project. I have a few other bits on the go at the minute that are taking up too much of my time so this one will have to go on the back burner for now. He'll still be completed but, unfortunately, not within the time-frame of this GB - probably after Christmas.

Apologies to anyone who was looking in on this one.

• 8 months later...

Better late than never :)

I've just about finished this one now, just a few final loose ends to tie up then he'll be finished (tonight probably)

DSC_3131.jpg

DSC_3132.jpg

DSC_3133.jpg

DSC_3134.jpg

DSC_3135.jpg

DSC_3136.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for the kind comments guys. It would've been nice to see him finished before the end of the GB but sometimes normality get in the way. Better late then never :)