242 Sqn Hurricane Mk.I, Duxford, August 1940

As related in my Spitfire thread, my other models for this GB are a Hurricane of 242 Sqn, and a Bf190 of I/JG3.

This will be the build thread for the Hurricane.

Picures will be posted nearer the start.

My kit will be the old tool Airifx 1/72 Hurricane I.

• Like 3

Here are the opening shots . . .

BoBHurri%20001_zpsjitibzms.jpg

BoBHurri%20002_zpssy7c50ae.jpg

BoBHurri%20003_zpswetaqvqg.jpg

Those kit decals are for V6864, when flown by Sqn. Ldr R R Stanford Tuck in 1940, BUT its undersides are Black/Sky with a Sky fuselage band, and I think

that puts it outside the GB timeframe. Also I've seen a 3-view of a Ragwing Hurricane in these markings dated to December 1940, so I'll probably build that another time.

For this GB, here are my Hurricane decals . . .

BoBHurri%20004_zpsby2ihqdo.jpg

Waiting for a scramble now . . .

• Like 5

Since this GB is under way, I'd best make a start! I have now decided which 242 Sqn Hurricane will be my subect.

Using the Xtradecal "BoB Hurricanes pt.2" decal sheet, this model will represent P2831, LE.K, as flown by Sub.Lt.

RJ "Dickie" Cork, RN.He was seconded to 242 Sqn from the Fleet Air Arm as part of a group of volunteers to fill

gaps in Fighter Command. Cork achieved "ace" status during the Battle of Britain, and was awarded the Distinguished

Flying Cross, a decoration later exchanged (at the Admiralty's insistence!) to a Distinguished Service Cross, which

is a Naval award.

Aftter returning to the FAA, Cork took part in Operation Pedestal, where he shot down 5 enemy aircraft in one day,

the only Royal Navy pilot to achieve this.

He went on to command what we would now call a Carrier Air Group in the Pacific, and was killed in a flying accident in

Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) in 1944.He is buried in Trincomalee War Cemetery.

I have a little progress to show, some paint was applied this morning, and here's Dicke Cork sitting in the Hurricane's office.

001_zpsioovqkln.jpg

His feet aren't painted because they won't be seen!

And the cockpit has a coat of interior green.

002_zps55rxkqvb.jpg

More later when there's more to show!

• Like 4

Assembly is proceeding. Yesterday morning we had this:

001_zps6x0mixqa.jpg

And after allowing glue to set, a bit of sanding, filling and 'fettling' we now have this:

002_zpslf3czysn.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality . . .

I believe she's now ready for paint, so there will be a short stand-down while my Spitfire gets to the same state, and then

a mega-airbrush session with both models and a Bomber Command HP Hampden that's also on the bench at the moment!

• Like 6

Nice going Gaz, I've this kit on the go as well, I was surpised how good the fit was, I just needed a wee bit down the the

wing/fuselage join. Shall be following with interest,

Sean

Yes, it's a crackin' little kit. Pretty much flash-free, good fit with just a smear of Vallejo filler in the wing/fuselage joint, and a little Green Putty

in the sink marks in front of the cockpit. There's a couple of sink marks under the fuselage, but I'm ignoring them, they're in the "fabric-covered"

rear fuselage, and I'd struggle to restore the detail if I filled them.

The only other blemishes I can find are 2 ejector pin marks under the tailplanes . . .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some progress at last. I think I've spread myself a bit too thin over too many models for too many GBs!

The hurricane has had a coat of dark earth and is now masked up waiting for my other BoB models to catch up before

a coat of dark green. Here she is!

208_zpsobpcwz0u.jpg

• Like 2

Well all my RAF aircraft for this GB and the BoB GB on MMM have now reached the same stage, with the first camo colour applied and then masked up

for the second colour, so today there was a mammoth painting session- No, I haven't airbrushed a hairy elephant, I've arrived at this stage with this!

BoB%20002_zpsuzh248pa.jpg

Next- gloss coat, decals and details!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...