1st August 1940. Finished.

On the 1st of August 1940 at 1400hrs. Hurricane's from 145 Sqn were scrambled to intercept Ju 88's, as they made contact with the Ju 88's there was also a Hershel Hs 126 an number of Hurricanes went to intercept this aircraft. One of the aircraft was P3155 flown by Sub. Lt Kestin, unfortunately he was shot down by the Hs 126 aircraft just off the south coast. The Hs 126 was later shot down close to the French coast. Sub. Lt Kestin's body washed ashore in mid August.

This leads me onto my builds a dog fighting double:

An Airfix Hurricane 1:48. 145 Sqn

ICM hershel Hs 126 1:48. 9 gruppe

Some other bits yet to arrive, but this is what I have so far.

Both aircraft

0acbd6dbb955a6927e1f45c847dc3316_zpssiml

What's in the box

661339e1aaff88807cf5da8c8f67fb4d_zpsmlq5

What's in this box

7c723e2af491a7e11d97047646b5f81a_zpsdjy2

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 9

Hi Ozzy. This looks like it should be a very interesting project to follow. :popcorn:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Ozzy. This looks like it should be a very interesting project to follow. :popcorn:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix

I think building the kits will be the easy bit, just need to find a base and some poles to mount them both on.

Like the theam, both the kits look like good ones. Interested in how this goes.

Rob

Me to Rob, I'm not an aircraft modeller normally. So will be following everybody else's threads to get some top tips, especially weathering.

Ozzy

• Like 1

Thanks Stix

I think building the kits will be the easy bit, just need to find a base and some poles to mount them both on.

Ozzy

Hi Ozzy. For the Typhoon in flight on my D-Day build I used some 4mm clear Perspex rod that I got off Nest Plastics on Amazon. It arrived really quickly. I've no connection with the company, I'm just a satisfied customer. Edited by PlaStix

Hi Ozzy. For the Typhoon in flight on my D-Day build I used some 4mm clear Perspex rod that I got off Nest Plastics on Amazon. It arrived really quickly. I've no connection with the company, I'm just a satisfied customer.

Thanks Stix,

I think I had a look at those, but was unsure of what size to get. I also saw it done using brass rods to, I think I will probably go for the clear rods, as they look very effective on you dio.

Ozzy

• Like 1

Interesting choice Ozzy, would never have reckoned on a 126 in the BoB, it's good to

learn something new,

Sean

• Like 1

Interesting choice Ozzy, would never have reckoned on a 126 in the BoB, it's good to

learn something new,

Sean

Sean,

Me to, when I found out about this GB, I wanted to do somthing different, so did a little digging and there were a number of RAF Pilots that scored Kills both hurricane and Spitfire. I went for this scenario as it was well documented, just an unfortunate outcome.

Ozzy

On the 1st of August 1940 at 1400hrs. Hurricane's from 145 Sqn were scrambled to intercept Ju 88's, as they made contact with the Ju 88's there was also a Hershel Hs 126 an number of Hurricanes went to intercept this aircraft. One of the aircraft was P3155 flown by Sub. Lt Kestin, unfortunately he was shot down by the Hs 126 aircraft just off the south coast. The Hs 126 was later shot down close to the French coast. Sub. Lt Kestin's body washed ashore in mid August.

The Henschel only had one forward and one rear-gunner MG.

I can't emagine a Hurricane being shot down by a recce plane

It's a bit like a Ju 87 STUKA shooting down a Spitfire.

• Like 1

S/Lt Ian Kestin was indeed brought down by return fire from a He 126. Other pilots fell to 'lesser' opponents such as S/Ldr John Fenton OC 238 Squadron who was shot down by return fire from a He 59 and forced to ditch; plus Billy Fiske's Hurricane had been damaged in combat by Ju 87's when he made his fateful landing back at Tangmere.

• Like 1

Yes it does seem a lucky shot. Sub Lt Kestin's career as a fighter pilot last one month, he was posted to 145 Sqn. Prior to that he started his fighter pilots course in late May 1940, prior to being converted to hurricane's. It sounds like a bit of inexperance and a lucky shot.

Ozzy

The rest of my bits arrived today, mainly for the Hs 126.

Two German pilots as there is no with the kit.

Two MG 17,s

A set o German letter, I brought these is I went for the cheaper option on eBay, subsequently if had brought the MK 1 it would have had the correct decals.

And finally some decals for 145 Sqn. Still unsure of the exact letter he would have had on his aircraft, so a little poetic licence me thinks.

3654177c058653dae8525759a87f5926_zpsajnv

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 2

Today's progress,

I have stuck the upper and lower wing together, both parts are a good fit. However there are no locating pins, so there was a little bit of movement until the glue got tackie.

I also used my Hataka paints for the first time for the interor of the cockpit. RLM 02. I've not used this brand before. The bottle looks like a Vallejo bottle, however it's got a ball in it for a better mix. I hand brushed it on it went on well and dried with a Matt finish. I've not put it through my air brush yet I will wait for the main camouflage for that.

5990b71e81162d67097facf111009330_zpselul

• Like 5

Good to see this underway. Also interesting that you keep stuff on the sprues to work on them - I do the same. Nice to see more modellers doing this. I find it means the parts themselves get handled less.

• Like 1

Good to see this underway. Also interesting that you keep stuff on the sprues to work on them - I do the same. Nice to see more modellers doing this. I find it means the parts themselves get handled less.

Thanks Stix,

And it's also, so I don't loose anything.

• Like 1

Sorry Ozzy, how did I miss this. A good dog fight double. Joe

Sorry Ozzy, how did I miss this. A good dog fight double. Joe

That's ok joe, I'm still finding threads I've missed too. It's a little different from the norm.

Ozzy

• Like 1

Just had a power hour, as insted of looking at models I thought I'd do some of my own.

I have done most of the cockpit detail, ready for filling and painting. Like with the wing there are no locating pins, so a best guess with the MK 1 eyeball. All went together well, however there are no numbers on the sprue. So a bit of flicking required.

ed10aff7874d0043659f61bf5980224c_zpsgv6f

08a46c47bf43a783e4e9048f62c488a8_zpsrn5o

• Like 5

Good progress Ozzy. It does seem odd that Airfix haven't provided location pins. I know sometimes they can be too tight, or a bit off, but generally I think it makes the fit of parts seem a bit more positive.

Good progress Ozzy. It does seem odd that Airfix haven't provided location pins. I know sometimes they can be too tight, or a bit off, but generally I think it makes the fit of parts seem a bit more positive.

Thanks Stix,

The Hs 126 kit is from ICM, it's the first kit I've made Anything by them. I think I just feel safer with locating pins.

Ozzy

• Like 1

That looks a well detailed little kit there, good to see you making head way. Need to crack on with mine before holiday!

Rob

Rob thanks for your comments, there is a good level of detail within in the kit. It even comes with a camera, the engine looks quite detailed too. I have set myself little goals to have the Hs 126 finished by the end of July, the hurricane finished by the end of August. Then I have time to mount it all, job done.

Ozzy