**Finished** - PBS 66Sqn Spitfire Mk1

This will be my main contribution, may add others depending on how this goes, won't be started it any time soon, got an airfix sabre on the bench that refusings to be ready for decaling plus an airfix lightning at the sanding stage

e37fcc11-21da-4d70-a3e1-c5ef8f09c087_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 8

Hi Stu, I'll be building this kit as well. Hopefully it arrives tomorrow. I have the PE and mask sets from Eduard for both aircraft already.

I will have to finish first my three British Phantoms for the Phantom GB, so it will be some time until I'll start posting for the BoB GB in earnest.

I wish you luck with your build and hope we can share tips during this GB.

Cheers

Jaime

cheers, may start it at the weekend but don't know yet, still haven't decided just what AM stuff I buy normally do all my canopies freehand with the imperfections that brings but not sure if I'd get away with it on the dornier, nor on the defiants turret, looks naff on the ones I've already done,also think Ill add the quickboots sets for the defiant as the kit parts are fragile....

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Stu, last night it took me 3,5 hours to completely mask the four pieces of one of my British Phantom's canopy... (I also masked the inside of the moving parts, since they are big and will be exposed in the open position). So, I'm glad I have the masks for the Defiant and Dornier. I still have two more Phantom canopies to mask and I'm becoming a bit nervous with the Phantom GB deadline.

I'll post my BoB builds soon, to commit myself publicly, but I don't think I'll be able to do much work (or any, for that matter...) until I finish my Phantoms.

What Quickboost sets are you planning to use? Exhausts (which ones), pitot/antenna, guns? Are these resin parts more detailed and sturdierd than the kit parts?

Cheers

Jaime

dornier also underway, slight issue though which pilot seat to use is left optional

Hi Stu, I wasn't sure of the type of pilot's seat used in the real 5K+AR so I just used the one with the squared-off back... so far I seem to have got away with it... :D

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Stu,

nice progress. I have a question regarding the Defiant's wheel wells and gear legs. The instructions say the wells should be Humbrol gunmetal and the legs matt black, but I find the well colour odd...

In a brief discussion on this in Joe's Defiant WIP here, we didn't reach a definite conclusion. I also haven't found a proper reference yet. The only existing Defiant is in the night fighter guise, so the wells and legs (apart from the oleos) are black.

Have you decided already how to paint these parts?

Thanks

Jaime

Hi Stu and Jaime. I hope you don't mind but I may also be having a crack at this kit...well at least the Defiant bit anyway. My first GB was the recent P38 build and despite the support of many the pressures of having a baby in the house got in the way. Anyway I look forward to following both your work and picking up a few tips.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave, I don't mind a bit :) on the contrary! I hope we can help each other.

I won't be starting my build any time soon because I'm still finishing three British Phantoms for the Phantom GB.

Cheers

Jaime

the more the merryer :) few tips I can give obviously the colour callouts in the books are 'wrong' being substitutes for the little pots that come with it, also in the case of the dornier, some people have had fit problems with the cockpit which seems to come from painting the parts on the sprues then sticking them together, as its almost all painted RLM02 aside from a small number of black bits, one can just assemble it then paint it which should avoid any issues

dornier slowly coming along, my is that cockpit fiddly, defiant also about to have the fuselage stuck to the wings, did try to put more care on the pilot than usual, even tried to give him his mustache like stew dapple did but could not, ended up looking like a lumberjacks beard

E8099C74-1A06-4AF8-9073-A98B4FB13977_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 5

:lol: He's a lumberjack and he's okay...

Deffy's looking good Stu B)

I agree about the Dornier cockpit, I stuck the seats in before painting the interior as I thought I'd never get them to stay put once the paint had been applied - that said when it is all put together it looks amazing and gives you an idea of how cramped things really were in there...

Cheers,

Stew

all assembled ready for painting, though have to wait, the starboard tail was badly moulded so got to miliput the rear leading edge,

as for the dornier started on the pilots, my edited instructions (to match the normal boxing) call for desery yellow uniforms, substiuted revell dark earth, though not sure the yellow finish that gives is correct, thought a brown grey or green would be more appropriate?

Hi Stu, I'm afraid I can't help you regarding the pilots, because I only have the dogfight double boxing with the funny colour call outs... Are the normal boxing instructions available in pdf format somewhere on the web?

Cheers

Jaime