Spitfire, 610 Sqn, Biggin Hill July 1940

After the fiasco of my attempts at card modelling in the non-injection moulded GB (all attempts in the round file!)

I'll have a go at the BoB GB.

My subjects will be the Airfix Spitfire Mk.I, the (old tool) Airfix Hurricane Mk.I, and the Airfix Bf109E, all in 1/72.

The 109 will be finished OOB as Franz von Werra's kite of 1/JG3, Samer, France August 1940 in the kit decals.

The Hurricane will represent a 242 sqn. aircraft, probably either P2831, LE.K as flown by "Dickie" Cork, or

LE.T, the serial unknown aircraft of Sub.Lt R E "Jimmy" Gardner, both at Duxford, August 1940.

The Spitfire will be OOB as P9495, DW.K of 610 Sqn, Biggin Hill July 1940 in the kit decals.

Pictures of the kits will be on here nearer the start of the GB.

I'm also building a Spitfire, Bf109 and Hurricane for a BoB GB elsewhere, I'm not using the same kits in 2 GBs,

those will be finished in different markings!

• Like 8

I've been asked by the GB hosts to split my build thread into separate threads for each model, so this thread will continue as the Spitfire thread,

the other kits will have their own threads started

• Like 1

This is my Spitfire!

BoBSpit%20002_zpsulqlavng.jpg

BoBSpit%20004_zpsxqbtwthe.jpg

DW-K, eh? I'm sure I've seen that somewhere before, on a bigger Spitfire kit . . .

BoBSpit%20005_zpsha6vuvto.jpg

BoBSpit%20006_zpsnd6odcyf.jpg

Just sitting at dispersal, waiting for orders . . .

• Like 3

Made a start, just a bit of parts painting pre-assembly . . .

003_zpsukpvvhqr.jpg

I'm using Tamiya's rather vivid interpretation of "Sky" to represent Supermarine's Apple Green

interior colour.

I have one more night shift before four nights off, so a maximum effort should result in some progress over the next few days . . .

• Like 3

And the fuselage is buttoned up!

003_zpsstdnalos.jpg

I'd expected a better fit from the fuselage, it seemed that the interior wouldn't fit inside it, maybe it was just me, or are the tolerances on this kit so tight

that painting the bulkheads, and the fuselage interior affects the fit? I do seem to remember the last one of these I built being a bit tight . . .

• Like 3

painting the interior will affect the fit, I've found the best bet is too fit all the bits one by one into the fuselage half, with the other fuselage half to get them in the right place, once all the bits are in place then paint the interior

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Good start! This is a lovely kit and is a nice and easy one to put together,but maybe the engraved detail is a tad deep.

I think the original Revell 1/32 Spitfire from the 1960'/70's was DW-K.

I'll be joining you with the same kit and the same squadron, but mine will be DW-O. One more and we can form a flight ;)

Trevor

And yesterday afternoon, we got to here-

spit%20001_zpspsgpqsz0.jpg

spit%20002_zpsyztiarai.jpg

So she's almost ready for paint! The retracted undercarriage is only a masking medium, she will be finished with extended

landing gear. There will now be a short break while my RAF contenders in MMM's BoBGB reach the same stage,

at which point a mega airbrush session will take place! Progress will continue on the 109E . . .

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I haven't posted anything on this for a while, and I'm quite shocked to see how much progress has gone unrecorded.

BoB%20006_zpsq9hz6ahp.jpg

Yes, she's ready for gloss coating! Sky painted and masked, DE sprayed, masks applied (vinyl from AML) and DG applied . . .

(She's posed on the colour scheme chart so I can easily distinguish her in photos from the Spttie I'm doing for the MMM BoB GB!)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...