Two 1/48 Mk.I Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (New Tool) - Finished and in the Gallery! - 26/10/15

Nice work Stix,

I like the open gun bays, is it like the hurricane kit in that you get covers for the gun bays as a separate part?

• Like 1

Nice detail work ! The idea, to give the wheel struts more stength, is good one.

Thank you Bernd - I borrowed the wheel fix off someone else on BM.

Looks like you've cracked it ( not literally of course ) with the main gear legs,I'll probably do the same with mine when I eventually get around to them.

Well done

John

PS not a bank holiday here, but who cared when you're retired.

It does seem a reasonable way around the problem Airfix have created.

.........and don't rub it in!!

Interesting level of details you added here! Should be a stunner when completed :goodjob:

Enjoy your (modelling) Bank Holiday!

Ciao

Thank you very much Giemme. I did enjoy it but it seems to be over so quickly!

That looks great Stix. I'm glad you are leaving the gun boxes open to show off all that nice detail. :goodjob:

Thank you Greg - yes when I saw Airfix had included the gun bay details I was quite pleased and thought I out to have some open. Hopefully they will look okay when it's finished.

Nice work Stix,

I like the open gun bays, is it like the hurricane kit in that you get covers for the gun bays as a separate part?

Hi Ozzy and thank you. Yes the covers come like this:

20438084574_6a084d91e6_c.jpg

They are plain on the underside so I may add some of the framing.

Nicely done stix, really like the open gun bays a nice touch from airfix and expertly modelled by yourself.

Rob

Thank you Rob you are too kind!

Because it was a Bank Holiday I got more time to work on these two - and yes I actually got something done on the Tamiya kit.

First of all though, after test fitting the upper port wing on the lower section for the Airfix kit, I decided to test fit the wings and fuselage parts:

20387624813_411f369514_c.jpg

20387573473_82027ee883_c.jpg

The fit seemed generally okay but I wasn't convinced how well the upper wing root joints would be so I opted to do something I've done before:

20820699448_e0af899f64_c.jpg

I apply glue to the joint and then hold the pieces in place by hand and make sure, as the glue sets, that the pieces are lined up where I want them. Then, when it's starting to hold in the correct place, I set it down like in the photo above.

Then I repeated the process with the other upper wing:

20982355336_2b7f3f865e_c.jpg

This is the result on the port wing root:

20982342736_325e2a1411_c.jpg

....and the okay, but not brilliant, result on the starboard wing root:

20998685702_c3bf69fe32_c.jpg

.......some glue seeped up through the join and softened the plastic either side of the join. It'll need some filling and re-scribing in places - nothing major.

Then it was a matter of gluing the lower wing section in place:

20404199863_b8455159aa_c.jpg

Once it had all set the tape came off and.......:

20842124320_96ca22df61_c.jpg

Next on the Airfix Spitfire I added the rudder, tailplanes and aerilons:

21037761961_098b1d3942_c.jpg

On the Tamiya kit I added the missing oxygen tank:

20842299428_9282067c70_c.jpg

.........before getting the fuselage sides glued together:

20842246658_d7e97f6727_c.jpg

And there's where I got to yesterday. I had another day off today and got some more done. I'll post some photos soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 11

Coming on really well. You're a brave man fitting the upper wings first again, shame about the starboard side on the Airfix. It looks like the outer edge of the wing fillet is not quite straight, nothing a man of your calibre can't fix I'm sure. Have you decided where the lines from the battery will go? or is there going to a ' big reveal ' later.

Hope you're enjoying your long weekend.

Cheers

John.

PS Did I mention that I'm retired?

• Like 1

And still we don't get to know where those cables are piping through ... :popcorn: impatient folks want to know ... :popcorn::lol:

The Airfix MkI looks definitely big value for the money, with all those bits and details like separate ailerons, elevators and tail rudder - and machine guns! Plus you're doing a great job, and you'll soon start painting it :clap:

I think I'll never do another Tamiya Spitfire, after seeing this second double build from you and having done mine - just not worth it.

Keep it up

Ciao

• Like 2

Hi Stix, fantastic progress on your Spits. I need a bit of time off to get going on mine. Quite a difference to be had with the extra time to take a good run at it. How does the Airfix kit compare to the Tamiya "engineering" wise as a kit? Regards Greg.

• Like 1

Hey Stix, i see i have missed a lot of great progress while i was busy! I love how clean and tidy you can work... everything seems so easy by you.. :) And great idea with the engine!!! As for the cables - one cable could be simulating a refueling hose on top of the nose infront of cockpit, the other one could be made as some similar hose for refueling some of the wing tanks or so. I m sure you ll find great way to make it look amazing! :) fingers crossed :popcorn:

• Like 1

Coming on really well. You're a brave man fitting the upper wings first again, shame about the starboard side on the Airfix. It looks like the outer edge of the wing fillet is not quite straight, nothing a man of your calibre can't fix I'm sure. Have you decided where the lines from the battery will go? or is there going to a ' big reveal ' later.

Hope you're enjoying your long weekend.

Cheers

John.

PS Did I mention that I'm retired?

Hi John. Thank you. I have to say fitting the upper wings first does seem to work reasonably well. I've done the same again with the Tamiya kit (I'll post some photos later). For me it seems to help make a better join in a very visible area. As to the wires - I decided to go with your initial idea of disguising them as the brake cables down the undercarriage legs - so thank you for the suggestion. :thumbsup: I've got a photo to post later showing a bit more.

Retired eh? :sleep_1:

And still we don't get to know where those cables are piping through ... :popcorn: impatient folks want to know ... :popcorn::lol:

The Airfix MkI looks definitely big value for the money, with all those bits and details like separate ailerons, elevators and tail rudder - and machine guns! Plus you're doing a great job, and you'll soon start painting it :clap:

I think I'll never do another Tamiya Spitfire, after seeing this second double build from you and having done mine - just not worth it.

Keep it up

Ciao

The cables? Please see my reply to John above. Yes you do get a lot of kit for your money with the Airfix Spitfires but I still quite like the straightforwardness and crisp detailing on the Tamiya kit - I will probably make another at some point - although they are quite expensive in comparison. Thank you - I will try to!

Hi Stix, fantastic progress on your Spits. I need a bit of time off to get going on mine. Quite a difference to be had with the extra time to take a good run at it. How does the Airfix kit compare to the Tamiya "engineering" wise as a kit? Regards Greg.

Hi Greg and thank you. I look forward to seeing yours when you do get going. With regards the "engineering" - the fit and crisp detailing on the Tamiya kit means it is a joy to actually build. The Airfix kit is very good but there are some fit issues - the front cockpit cowl and the undercarriage leg joints being two notable problems. I think with care and attention it does go together well though. Another thing that is a very slight negative is the type of plastic Airfix use - it is slightly soft which means some details are a little soft in places and in some cases missed off when compared to the Tamiya kit.

Hey Stix, i see i have missed a lot of great progress while i was busy! I love how clean and tidy you can work... everything seems so easy by you.. :) And great idea with the engine!!! As for the cables - one cable could be simulating a refueling hose on top of the nose infront of cockpit, the other one could be made as some similar hose for refueling some of the wing tanks or so. I m sure you ll find great way to make it look amazing! :) fingers crossed :popcorn:

Hi Wolwe. Thank you very much for your comments and ideas. As I mentioned above I'm going to take the wires down the legs in case I don't get enough time to build any extra equipment around the Spitfire. Thank you.

Nice progress Stix,

That airfix spit does look a nice build.

Hi Ozzy and thank you. Yes it is a good kit, especially for the money.

Nice work, keep it up. Looking forward to seeing more here..!

Hi Marty. Thank you for your comments.

Great work Stix as always, i'm always very impressed by your builds, so neat and precise - and brush painted too!

Nick

Hi Nick. That's very kind of you. Yep - has to be brush painted!! :coolio:

I will try and get some more photos posted later.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

Thanks Stix for the notes regarding fit of the two kits. I have to agree that at times the plastic Airfix is using is "soft" in places same goes for a few details, a good example being the omission of the Rear view mirror in the new Hurricane kit, whereas the old Airfix kit has one! Tamiya are reknowned for their engineering but not having built a new tool Tamiya for some time i was interested to see how it compared to "new" Airfix. Cheers, Greg

• Like 1

Glad I could be of help.

Retired, who's retired?

John

You are a star - thank you.

Retired? - It's an age thing! :winkgrin:

Just catching up on progress here Stix and it's nothing short of brilliant :)

How are you doing for time? I'm starting to worry about my single build. Never mind two!!

Hi Nigel. That's very kind of you - thank you.

Yeah time might be an issue with these. I had some plans which might not come to fruition but I'm hoping to get these completed in time. We'll see....... :pilot:

Thanks Stix for the notes regarding fit of the two kits. I have to agree that at times the plastic Airfix is using is "soft" in places same goes for a few details, a good example being the omission of the Rear view mirror in the new Hurricane kit, whereas the old Airfix kit has one! Tamiya are reknowned for their engineering but not having built a new tool Tamiya for some time i was interested to see how it compared to "new" Airfix. Cheers, Greg

Hi Greg. No problem. It is always strange when a manufacturer misses off something obvious that they've included on their older models.

I had got more done over the longer weekend but not had as much time since to get the photos sorted - so here they are -

First off, like I've done on a few aircraft builds, I glued the upper wings to the fuselage rather than following the instructions. I think it helps me get a better wing root joint - port wing first:

20444411893_5a8a50cbb0_c.jpg

Then the starboard one:

21065458945_bc125f2a26_c.jpg

The resulting joins look like this:

20877559928_2f4118450e_c.jpg

Then I did a test fit of the lower wings after feeding the wires through a couple of holes I drilled next to the undercarriage leg joints:

21039217046_72bcbfc53f_c.jpg

........and a view from below:

21039208096_aabb0005df_c.jpg

The idea, thanks to John, is that these wires will look like the brake cables and I may try and get them to pass through the insides of the wheels to hide them..........we'll see.......

Hopefully I'll get the lower wing unit fitted tomorrow before fitting the parts to go on the undersides of the wings. You never know I may get some paint on as well!

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 7

21039208096_aabb0005df_c.jpg

The idea, thanks to John, is that these wires will look like the brake cables and I may try and get them to pass through the insides of the wheels to hide them..........we'll see.......

Great idea, but wouldn't they look over-sized? Have you considered cutting them shorter and joining with smaller section wires? Given the very low current absorption involved, that shouldn't be a problem (in terms of overheating the conductors). Just a thought - pushing you to strive for perfection, you know ... :whistle::winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 2

Great idea about adding the upper wings to the fuselage first Stix, I must try this. Thats a great neat join you get from taking that approach. All in all these Spits are looking great, good luck with the motorised angle. Regards Greg

• Like 1

Great wingroot join on the Tamiya, it always was a good fit, but I think you've made it even better.

I think Giemme's right about the wire, they do look a little over-sized. Don't listen to me in future.

Cheers

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1

Great idea, but wouldn't they look over-sized? Have you considered cutting them shorter and joining with smaller section wires? Given the very low current absorption involved, that shouldn't be a problem (in terms of overheating the conductors). Just a thought - pushing you to strive for perfection, you know ... :whistle::winkgrin:

Ciao

Hi Giemme. Yes they are a bit too large - I investigated using thinner wires but, at the moment, I don't have any. All the wire I have is of the same thickness. I will have to see if can get hold of some or see if I've got some old electrical equipment I can 'borrow' some from! If I can't - I think I have an idea for disguising them a bit.

Great idea about adding the upper wings to the fuselage first Stix, I must try this. Thats a great neat join you get from taking that approach. All in all these Spits are looking great, good luck with the motorised angle. Regards Greg

Hi Greg. Thank you for your comments. Joining the wings in this way does involve a bit of faffing about but I think it's worth the extra bit of effort to get a neat joint in quite a visible area. Hopefully the motor will keep working!!

Great progress Stix,love the motor being added,I built Tamiya's Raiden last year with the motor alway's goes down well with visitor's!

Thank you Steve - this will be my first motor - so fingers crossed!

Great wingroot join on the Tamiya, it always was a good fit, but I think you've made it even better.

I think Giemme's right about the wire, they do look a little over-sized. Don't listen to me in future.

Cheers

John

Hi John - yes it does seem to look good so far........

Oh I will listen to you - I still think it's a good idea - I just need to do a bit more to get it too look right!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

Hi Giemme. Yes they are a bit too large - I investigated using thinner wires but, at the moment, I don't have any. All the wire I have is of the same thickness. I will have to see if can get hold of some or see if I've got some old electrical equipment I can 'borrow' some from!

Old headset /freehand cell phone set? Those normally have very thin wires. I would test them with the motor though, to see if it works that way ...

... If I can't - I think I have an idea for disguising them a bit.

Now I'm curious ... :popcorn::popcorn: Guess I'll have to wait till next Monday ... now I'm also impatient :banghead::D

Ciao