Two 1/48 Mk.I Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (New Tool) - Finished and in the Gallery! - 26/10/15

Fantastic looking cockpits, as usual or even better, I shall say! :clap:

Hey, but the bottle tubing ... you copied from me copying from you ... geez, all these great Spitfire double builds , I'm getting confused :lol:

• Like 1

Excellent cockpit details look perfect !

Hi Bernd. Thank you. - you are very kind.

That's very tidy work on the cockpit Stix, and as you say, you know it's there. Let's

see what tomorrow brings us......... :popcorn:

Sean

Hi Sean and thank you too. Let's see what tomorrow (today) brings eh?.......... Well you know me so..........not a lot!

Wow,

Your cockpit looks fantastic, I do like those belts.

Hi Ozzy. Thank you. The belts are down to Eduard (and a bit of fiddling about from me!)

Fantastic looking cockpits, as usual or even better, I shall say! :clap:

Hey, but the bottle tubing ... you copied from me copying from you ... geez, all these great Spitfire double builds , I'm getting confused :lol:

Hi Giemme. Thank you for your comments.

With regards the bottle tubing - I knew I'd seen it somewhere before!

excellent work Styx, so smooth as usualy, love it :) keep that great work going :)

Hi Wolwe - thank you and I will try to (even though it will be very, very slow!!

Looking excellent Stix.

Thank you Joe.

Looks perfect to me. Well done. :thumbsup:

Thank you too Greg.

A ridiculous amount of time this morning was spent trying to finish the bottles for the Tamiya version cockpit - the PE straps did not want to stay in place but, after a few attempts and a lot of bad words, it looked like this:

19999190383_dd3afc6651_c.jpg

......and in place and never to be properly seen once the fuselage is together:

20626693081_06f3e1ef93_c.jpg

........but, as I said before, I'll know they're there :pilot:

Then it was onto lots of testing and fitting of the cockpit parts for the Airfix cockpit tub - now with the pedals and joystick in place:

20432101380_fc9ded50eb_c.jpg

20593807086_74980e2a72_c.jpg

20626674841_6fbdb77f9f_c.jpg

Then I did a quick test fitting, using Blutack, to see how the cockpit tub sides looked like attached to the fuselage sides:

20626668271_12a7157d23_c.jpg

20593787406_b9017dfd90_c.jpg

And a couple of photos to show the comparison between the two sets of cockpit walls:

19999148503_94f5e8eb95_c.jpg

19999142853_08914f0384_c.jpg

Finally, after quite a bit of tidying up and fiddling about, I managed to get the tubs parts all glued together:

20626641921_11431564e7_c.jpg

20610940992_36dee1c69c_c.jpg

20432006778_c3d6f461cc_c.jpg

20620009395_da236523e4_c.jpg

Again, it doesn't look like much, but progress is progress.

More next weekend.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 12

Progress is, to do something and this progress looks ( as always ) excellent.

The detail work is really nice and i hope you will leave the hatch on the cockpit side open.

Good photos of the interior, before the fuselage sides will be closed, are always a good idea.

Wish you a great Sunday evening and a good start into the new week.

• Like 1

Progress is, to do something and this progress looks ( as always ) excellent.

The detail work is really nice and i hope you will leave the hatch on the cockpit side open.

Good photos of the interior, before the fuselage sides will be closed, are always a good idea.

Wish you a great Sunday evening and a good start into the new week.

Good morning Bernd. Hope all is well with you and the weather makes it more pleasant for working in your shop. The detail from the various bits of the Eduard sets really does add a lot to the cockpit walls and it's interesting to see the different takes on how they look ie. what features are included. For me they add to the cluttered feel of the actual cockpits and yes I will have the doors open on both. I have different ideas for how they will both be displayed but both will have the cockpit open.

Hope you have a great start to the week too and that business is good!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Fantastic builds and amazing detailing work going on.

:goodjob::popcorn:

Your hairy stick skills are second to none... :mike:

Hi Plasmahal. Thank you - you are very kind. :thumbsup:

Nice to see the tubs closed up, lovely detail in there. Here's to the weekend,

Sean

Hi Sean. Thank you. Yes I'm pleased I've got the Airfix tub together. At my pace it seems to have been a long job! .......and only three more days in the way until the weekend!

Outstanding work Stix,cockpit's look superb great reference for future builder's me included!

Hi Steve. Thank you for your kind comments. I'm looking forward to seeing more BoB builds from you.

Hope you had a great holiday!

Kind regards,

Sticks

• Like 1

Very impressive work on pits and fuselages Stix, the builds are coming along very, very nicely :goodjob:

Thank you Julian.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow morning when I can do some more on these.

Kind regards,

Stix

Stupendous Stix!! Right down to the buckles on the tank straps. Love these builds :worthy:

Hi Nigel. Thank you very much for your very kind comments.

It seems recently that I have been spending more time on the Airfix kit and I already knew this morning's session was probably going to be the same. So I decided to do something on the Tamiya version first. According to the instructions the horizontal stabilisers are attached to the fuselage ends after the latter are glued together. As I'm (hopefully) going to be getting the fuselage sealed up soon I figured I should get the line between the stabilisers and elevators cut so that they can droop slightly:

20595274668_31ecf7b07d_c.jpg

After tidying them up I returned to the Airfix kit. On my Airfix Vb build the fit of the IP and bulkhead under the front cockpit cover was almost perfect. This time I wasn't so lucky and ended up having the file away a fair bit of the curved edge of the IP and the inside of the cover. Unfortunately in my concentration to get it sorted I forgot to take any photos. I spent almost two hours carefully filing and test-fitting before gluing it together:

20160646184_f6806a9087_c.jpg

20595267270_172b28a6ee_c.jpg

20773816572_7cc23d668f_c.jpg

20783243355_1c1ef8c3d4_c.jpg

20596476459_5a5e58f494_c.jpg

The fit of the fuselage sides is, for the most part, okay with only a few areas that look like they'll require some filler and filing/sanding. The one thing I did notice is the poor alignment of the panel line across the front cowl. This'll need some filler and a bit of a re-scribe:

20162295013_0a0f8bf349_c.jpg

More tomorrow I hope.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 12

Fantastic work Stix,

There both coming along nicely, looks like the fit on the airfix kit is good. The interior does look good enclosed in the fuselage.

Ozzy

• Like 1

Looks like a regular day in the office for Stix! :clap:

That front cowl panel line looks rather nasty, though; may I suggest to fill it in with some CA - or even CA mixed with talc? It hardens in no time and makes a great base for sanding and rescribing. But you probably already know that

Keep up the excellent work!

Ciao

• Like 1

Fantastic work Stix,

There both coming along nicely, looks like the fit on the airfix kit is good. The interior does look good enclosed in the fuselage.

Ozzy

Thank you Ozzy. Yes I think I'm quite happy with how busy the cockpit interior looks.

Some more outstanding work stix.... still amazed by the effort you put into your builds

Rob

Thank you Rob. The reason I have to put in so much effort is to try and keep up with you guys!

Looks like a regular day in the office for Stix! :clap:

That front cowl panel line looks rather nasty, though; may I suggest to fill it in with some CA - or even CA mixed with talc? It hardens in no time and makes a great base for sanding and rescribing. But you probably already know that

Keep up the excellent work!

Ciao

Thank you giemme. I agree about the line - hopefully you'll let me know if you think it looks better now - please see below.....

Looking good to me, but what are these ' stabilisers '. It's a Bitish aeroplane, surely they should be 'tailplanes'.

Smiley face

John

Thank you John. Yeah, alright - good point. I'd just been looking at the Spitfire Manual PDF I've got and in there it refers to them as stabilisers. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

On the point of emoticons: I use my work's iPad - you can add emoticons by typing a colon followed immediately by the one you want (eg. goodjob) followed immediately again by another colon. For example : goodjob : (but without the spaces at the front and rear) gives :goodjob: etc. you'll need to find out the names for each though.

First job this morning: fill the terrible panel line across the front and the re-scribe it:

20817653771_1514e874b6_c.jpg

Now the following may be a bit crazy but this is what I spent a fair chunk of time sorting out this morning for the Tamiya version:

20623892569_a36e5a7a21_c.jpg

I saw this Airfix motor in a local toy shop and, realising I'm probably never going to use it in the 1/24 kit it's designed for, bought it for fitting in one of these two 1/48 kits - I found it better for the Tamiya kit. It took some time to get it into the right place for it to work. I've also still got to figure out what I'm doing with the wires.

While the glue for the motor was drying I went back to the Airfix kit and cut out the panels to show off the armament bays in the port wing:

20622680638_4625af11c4_c.jpg

20188061554_9d9cf52a8d_c.jpg

I cut them out carefully with a craft knife and then filed them.

Once the glue was set for the motor I added the cockpit parts:

20622664088_c1dafd6674_c.jpg

.......and spent a while test fitting the fuselage sides with these in place.

Then I started fitting the parts for the insides of the wheel-wells and armament bays on the Airfix kit:

20784341176_3bd261f67d_c.jpg

Next, according to the instructions, the tops of the undercarriage legs need adding, but I already know these are a weak part of this kit. The parts in question:

20817684681_1068a06c08_c.jpg

......and the legs:

20622616630_93a5b62714_c.jpg

Rather than installing the top parts into the wheel-wells I've glued them onto the tops of the legs:

20188026944_bacb45b3bc_c.jpg

Once these are set solid I intend to cut them off straight across the join line then drill the ends out to accept some wire to strengthen the whole lot.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 10

Front cowl panel line looks perfect! :goodjob:

Brilliant idea about the wheel legs, I'm sure it's going to work wonder. :clap:

The little motor is sheer genius, I hope you find a good solution for the cables, as this is going to be absolutely stunning!

You're definitely taking this build a huge step beyond!

Ciao

• Like 2