Two 1/48 Mk.I Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (New Tool) - Finished and in the Gallery! - 26/10/15

Hi Stix, good choice of Spitfires. I've made a couple of the Tamiya Spitfires, and very good they are too. I got the Airfix Spitfire when I noticed one set of markings was for a Westhampnett Spitfire (which I'm sure you know is the Goodwood car racing circuit). That's only about 10 miles from me as the crow flies. Looking forward to seeing you progress your builds. Joe

Hi Joe. Thank you for the info about the Tamiya kit - it's good to know others have had good experiences with it. Interesting that the kit decals are for a Spitfire with a local connection to you. It's always an added benefit to have a bit of a connection with a kit. Thank you and I hope I can do them both justice.

Hi Stix! I'm glad that you doing it.

I just bought new mark one from Airfix so i can maby steel some of your ideas :)

Cheers and I'm looking forward to see your progress

Hi Pawel. Thank you for your comments. Any chance you'll be making your Mk.I for this GB? Be good to be able to follow another one of your builds.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Hi Bernd. I must admit I'm itching to get started on these two.

Are you going to be taking part in this GB? It'd be good to have one of your builds to follow as well.

You can t have too much Spitfires, especially in the fashion, you did the two Mk.V s

Will have a look for something that fits the theme. The RoG Spitfire Mk.II in 1/32 would need some work and stuff to convert it to a Mk.I

We will see

• Like 1

Hi Bernd. I'd be very interested to follow a conversion of the Revell kit to a Mk.I. Might be something I'd be interested in doing in future - I could make notes and 'borrow' your ideas! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Stix, this will be an iteresting project, should do first some research. The Bf 109 is known for all the rather complicated versions, the Spit is quite similar.

Bulges here, some there, Rotol or De Havilland props, antenna masts.... :shrug:

Not much to "borrow" so far, but i think a future Spitfire will need a good oxygen hose :whistle:

• Like 1

You're at it again! I shall be watching carefully to make sure you don't get lazy and try to slip in a few pics from the Mk V builds!

Bonne courage

John

Good morning John. Well that's most of my posts out the window........... going to actually make them now (:thumbsup:) Seriously.........yesterday I was beginning to wish I'd taken a day off work so I could start building these two.

amazing, more spitfires! and your spitfires are one of most beautiful ones Styx, so hope these ll be even better! :)

Thank you Wolwe.......you're too kind!

So looking forward to this Stix.

Have picked up some tips with your previous builds and hoping to put the lessons to good practice :)

Hi Nigel. Thank you. I've just been looking at your thread - looks like a fantastic project in prospect!

Right time to start!! :pilot:

I Hope to be back later with some updates.

Kind regards,

Stix

This is going to look a lot like my earlier build of two Mk.Vb Spitfires (which can be found here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project/ if you're interested). First up here's some photos of the parts I'm going to start work on, just to give an idea of what they look like before I've done anything to them -

Airfix fuselage insides:

19592711762_3ee7f708f6_c.jpg

Airfix lower cockpit sides:

19573472446_6f1f245f67_c.jpg

Tamiya starboard fuselage inside:

19599634975_bded4af708_c.jpg

Tamiya port fuselage inside:

19573464936_2779e2210f_c.jpg

Airfix:

19599622655_271f23a9d4_c.jpg

18978683253_0dbb19bf77_c.jpg

Tamiya:

19592696442_e7061bb3d7_c.jpg

First off I began by drilling some holes in the Airfix cockpit wall frames:

19599615165_2ec0c3f7e7_c.jpg

I'm going to display these kits on the ground so on the Tamiya kit I cut away the cockpit door. To do this I carefully cut along the panel lines for the door from the outside with a craft knife:

18977031714_c3ba757eba_c.jpg

You can see I also added the frame piece, with holes in it, from the Eduard PE set intended for older Airfix Mk.I Spitfire.

19413013079_975c62ee52_c.jpg

I will have to see if these eventually end up fouling any other cockpit parts.

I added a couple of the PE parts to the Tamiya cockpit side. These are actually intended for the Tamiya version:

18978668073_7123d22ac3_c.jpg

At this stage I'm only attaching parts that I can easily paint over. I'll add other detail parts once the main cockpit colour is on.

I cut away the Airfix version cockpit door in the same way as the Tamiya one:

19573434576_9b47fbdc8c_c.jpg

On the Tamiya seat bulkhead frame I cut away the seat side supports (they'll be replaced with Photoetch parts later) and drilled out all the holes on the parts from both kits:

19603930441_55aa25b87a_c.jpg

Finally I started to add some PE to the Airfix cockpit sides:

19573427576_126d9f0cb6_c.jpg

As you can see I didn't get a huge amount done but I'm delighted this project's underway. The first part of the morning was taken up with working out which bits needed more work before painting starts and also which bits of the Eduard sets I was actually going to use and on which kit. It was a bit confusing at times.

Hopefully I'll get more done tomorrow.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 7

Stix,

Thanks for the comparison.

Ozzy

Hi Ozzy. No problem. I felt it might be useful to see them made side by side, like the Vbs I made - especially if anyone is undecided which to get. Both will probably have their strong and weak points - the Vbs certainly did.

Here we go, Stix's magic has begun :popcorn:

Ciao

You're too kind Giemme but thank you.

We're off...... :popcorn:

Sean

I thought I could smell something! ;-)

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

This morning carried on from where I left off yesterday - adding photo-etch parts here and there and generally preparing various bits and pieces in the cockpit area before I start painting.

Some photos of this morning's progress.

Airfix - some tidying up of the frames and a photo-etch cross bar added:

19601695836_990bb530d6_c.jpg

Airfix - photo-etch parts added to each side of the seat support unit:

19632287091_6e2973f012_c.jpg

Airfix - photo-etch parts added under where the IP will go:

19006922293_bcbddc7cbc_c.jpg

Airfix - I removed the raised plastic detail (depicting the Instrument Panel) with a needle file - in preparation for the photo-etch IP to be added after painting:

19439877100_b18be6bf2f_c.jpg

Airfix - additional photo-etch part added to the side wall of the cockpit:

19601681156_3134d1fe76_c.jpg

Tamiya - cables added using fuse wire and the Instrument Panel detail removed, with a needle file, in preparation for the photo-etch IP being added after painting:

19005277554_f8770c82e8_c.jpg

Tamiya - additional PE parts added to both sides of both cockpit walls:

19005273764_b8938a7d63_c.jpg

19005266444_faae39e669_c.jpg

Apart from a few more bits of tidying up seam lines I think I'm almost at the painting stage for some of these parts.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

Excellent start Stix, some of those details must be very fiddly, especially the fuse wire cables - How do you go about doing that? I've tried before but always end up swearing at it...

Nick

• Like 1

Excellent start Stix, some of those details must be very fiddly, especially the fuse wire cables - How do you go about doing that? I've tried before but always end up swearing at it...

Nick

Hi Nick. Thank you. Usually I cut some lengths of 5 amp fuse wire a bit longer than required. I start by feeding about 5mm of the first piece, usually the one that's going to be closest to the internal frame, through to the back, from the front, and bend it over downwards so it's flat against the back. I then apply a tiny amount of CA glue using a toothpick. Once this has set I get the wire on the front to gently curve (only by hand) and then apply another small amount of CA glue under where I want the end to be. I then gently hold the wire until it's set with another toothpick. Once it's firmly held in place I check that the curve still looks okay. Sometimes it goes slightly out of shape but, because the entire length isn't glued, it's fairly easy to move. Then I repeat the process with the middle and outer wires, trying to match the curve of the first as much as possible. Once all three are set I carefully cut the wires at the bottom with a craft knife. Finally I use some very thin styrene to make the holders. In the places I want them to be I apply a small amount of CA glue, across the wires, (by toothpick again) and then I apply the styrene by toothpick with a small amount of blu-tack on the end. These styrene pieces help keep the curve in place until the paint is on.

That looks like a lot of text for attaching three small bits of wire!! Let me know if anything needs clarification!

Before I did it the first time on an actual kit I practiced on a scrap bit of plastic.

Hope that's of some help.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

I love a good build thread. I am always in awe of the patience and skill of you guys working with fiddly PE bits. As a figure painter, I could spend half an hour painting a hand (and then repainting it if its not to my liking) but show me a bit of PE then it all goes pear-shaped. Respect :)

• Like 2

I love a good build thread. I am always in awe of the patience and skill of you guys working with fiddly PE bits. As a figure painter, I could spend half an hour painting a hand (and then repainting it if its not to my liking) but show me a bit of PE then it all goes pear-shaped. Respect :)

Thank you Billy. Not sure that fiddling around with bits of etched metal is as much of a skill as figure painting but I suppose it does require lots of patience - especially when the bits sometimes fly off when you least expect them to! Yesterday one of my bits went off on it's own with no warning and it took a good 20 minutes of searching to find it - right below where I'd been working but stuck (with CA glue) to the wooden floor monster (dropping buttered toast principle at work here). In my defence the piece was the same dark colour as the floor and it'd stuck itself in a shadow. I had to carefully re-acquire it from the floor with the aid of a craft knife. It's now in it's correct location after being flattened and cleaned up. Fun times!

Really nice work Stixs. Lovely additional details.

Thank you Greg. Working on the cockpits is one of my favourite things of building Spitfires - that's why I'm not rushing!

You've really mastered the PE thing, Stix! :clap: Looks really neat!

Ciao

Hi Giemme. I don't think I've mastered it yet! They still let me know who's boss at times (see my reply to Billy above!)

Lovely bit of detailing Stix, especially the wiring,

Sean

Thank you Sean - I do enjoy doing stuff like that.......... :pilot:

Great job Stix. It is very inspiring to wath you work.

Cheers

Thank you Pawel, you're very kind.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Thank you for the tutorial Stix, it's extremely helpful and i'll give it a go when i next build a Spitfire.

Your build's are looking fantastic, as they always do.

Nick

Hi Nick. No problem - I hope it does prove useful. And you are very kind, thank you.

Kind regards,

Stix