Two 1/48 Mk.I Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (New Tool) - Finished and in the Gallery! - 26/10/15

Stix's got Tank Fever ... I fear he'll never recover ... :(:pray:

:D:D:D

Ciao

Did he say he was going focus on the flipping armour again! For heavens sake stix that's what took you away last time!

You do know there are lots of GB's involving AIRCRAFT before the hurricane GB?? ;)

Rob

• Like 2

Did he say he was going focus on the flipping armour again! For heavens sake stix that's what took you away last time!

You do know there are lots of GB's involving AIRCRAFT before the hurricane GB?? ;)

Rob

You should sign up for the P47 just after Christmas Stix :coolio:

• Like 1

Great results from an iPad, when I replace my old steam driven version (which is beginning to creak a little) I'll try some photography with it.

I'll be following your Centurion build as well, it's been a long time since I built a Tank, it was a Mirkava, but I could be tempted by a Centurion.

cheers

John :pilot:

Hi John. I must admit the iPad does do a reasonable job although a lot is dependent on the available light (which isn't always great when I'm taking most of my photos first thing on weekend mornings!!). The Centurion is going to be my first 'proper' 1/35 tank build and my first non-WWII tank. I'm really looking forwarded to doing more work on it.

Stix's got Tank Fever ... I fear he'll never recover ... :(:pray:

:D:D:D

Ciao

No, I'm afraid the prognosis is not good. It won't be permanent but I think it will always keep coming back!

Rob

Yep - I'm afraid I'm onto the armour again next!! It'll only be for a while and I already know I have some aircraft builds ahead ......... so all is not quite lost!

You should sign up for the P47 just after Christmas Stix :coolio:

I'm not making any promises but the next time I'm in a model shop I'll take a look at the 1/72 versions - any recommendations for a good, cheap P47 kit? What't the Airfix starter version like?

This week - to demonstrate my dedication to aircraft kits - I have given up on making up the link tracks for my two tank builds and have been assembling the figures I'm going to use for the scenes to go with my two Spitfires. These are the ones I'm going to use from the new Airfix set:

21978992288_718c4e2426_c.jpg

I quite like them although they are a bit hit'n'miss in terms of assembly in places - the arms on the two chaps with the ammo belts, for example, are quite difficult to get into position. The detail generally seems very nice if a bit stylised in places, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I'll see what I think when they are painted.

Painting will have to wait until the weekend though.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

Thank you HomerLB. I won't get chance to take an up to date photo of the setup until the weekend but I have a couple of older photos which will hopefully give you an idea of what I use. The first photo shows my Spitfire display shelf behind a diorama I made for the D-Day GB last year. It is basically a long MDF shelf with a thinner piece of MDF attached to the back. On the thinner back I glued on a photo, which I enlarged and blurred slightly from the original - it's actually printed across several sheets of A4 paper, but I laminated them with matt laminating pouches.

15380382222_e5e1875421_c.jpg

How it looks in use behind the diorama can be seen here.

The second photo shows how it normally looks with my Spitfires on display - although these latest two are not in this photo and I think I can only fit one of them on! When I made it I hadn't realised how obsessed I was going to become with Spitfires!! :pilot:

18412955238_22265944e5_c.jpg

With regards the camera - at work I'm lucky enough to be lent an iPad Air 2 for my job which I use for all my photos of my models. I'm really lazy and it's very convenient. Let me know if you would like to know any more.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for the info my friend. The background really brings the aircraft alive. Something I'll have to do one day.

Hmmm :pipe:

• Like 1

Hi Stix, your Spitfires have come on really well since I last looked. Great photos with the backdrop. Well done. Joe :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the info my friend. The background really brings the aircraft alive. Something I'll have to do one day.

Hmmm :pipe:

No problem. The background with the base does seem to add to the overall appearance. I think I was lucky with how the photo looked overall and then when slightly blurred.

Hi Stix, your Spitfires have come on really well since I last looked. Great photos with the backdrop. Well done. Joe :)

Thank you Joe. How is your Defiant coming along? Any chance of an update soon?

Saturday tomorrow!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:............modelling time!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thank you Nick - you are way, way too kind. Your stuff is brilliant - don't put yourself down! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your project.

I have been busy this weekend. I had thought I would be finished but the figure painting took longer than expected plus I made up the ammunition trolley. I have taken some photos but I still can't access the BBCode on my work's iPad.

Hopefully I will post an update, with photos, tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Excellent work Stix, they look fantastic!

As for a good cheap 1/72 P-47 you could do a lot worse than the Revell P-47D or M.

Craig.

Hi Craig. Sorry I didn't reply before but your post appeared while I was replying to Nick. Thank you for your kind comments.

And thank you for the tip about the Revell kits. I'm hoping I might get to a model shop later this week - fingers crossed!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

The weekend's update:

As I mentioned above; I really thought I was going to have got closer to the finish line with this double project but the figures took longer than expected.

This was the state of play first thing on Saturday morning - figures undercoated with Revell's Anthracite and most of the ammunition trolley parts cut from the sprue:

22065646780_aa38906ff2_c.jpg

I noticed that the ends of the machine gun barrels didn't have holes:

21630913534_07f4e64a76_c.jpg

So out came the micro-drills:

21632617113_4dc08068d3_c.jpg

Painting started on the parts for the ammunition trolley:

22065883828_0ce7726781_c.jpg

Faces and shirts/collars painted on the figures:

22065588140_e67e1a0ced_c.jpg

......and by the close of play on Saturday this was where I had got to with the ammunition trolley - with some light weathering applied:

21659549404_556016d61e_c.jpg

21659538574_d5f1335bc9_c.jpg

Sunday's session was taken up with just painting the figures - this took much longer than anticipated, but they are just about complete:

22256235026_2f1a25cd4f_c.jpg

They are very nicely detailed figures - for example the details on the back of the pilot look very good:

22094524108_262386194f_c.jpg

So next weekend will hopefully see these finished. I need to get the base for the Tamiya Spitfire sorted so the wires can pass through it and some photos of both aircraft taken for the gallery.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 13

Your figure painting is great Stix, I try to avoid them because I just can't do faces. A friend of mine asked me to paint a couple of figures for his flying scale Tiger Moth and I persuaded SWMBO to do the faces, I'm not sure he was too happy with the mascara though.

Nearly there now, you should just make the deadline.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Stix, you definitely need to try the Dark Side of the Force (figure painting, that is), you have the talent for that! :clap::worthy:

And the trolley looks just great, too! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

There I am thinking my brush painting might one day get to the level yours is stix and then your posted your figure work.... Give a man a break!

Excellent work stix, the detail you have got on these is really very good, very realistic.

Your closer to the finish than me!

Rob

• Like 2

There I am thinking my brush painting might one day get to the level yours is stix and then your posted your figure work.... Give a man a break!

Rob, didn't I tell you it's Stix's magic? :winkgrin: Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

Wow, they do look good Stix. Are they from an airfix set? Just when we all think the master class is coming to an end, you pull somthing out the bag to amaze us some more.

• Like 1

Your figure painting is great Stix, I try to avoid them because I just can't do faces. A friend of mine asked me to paint a couple of figures for his flying scale Tiger Moth and I persuaded SWMBO to do the faces, I'm not sure he was too happy with the mascara though.

Nearly there now, you should just make the deadline.

Regards

John

Hi John. Thank you as always for your very kind comments. If you look carefully I don't really 'do' the faces. I give any skin areas a coat of Humbrol's Flesh and then, when that's fully dry, I apply a Games Workshop, Citadel Paints dark flesh wash (the name of which escapes me at the moment - I'll check when I get home). Once it's applied it settles into the deeper, detail areas and ends up looking something like shadows on the faces/arms/hands/etc. I also took Giemme's (the figure making and painting supreme master's) advice regarding eyes - ie. not to bother in the smaller scales - it is really difficult to paint them and they end up looking like they are staring wildly! I know some people are brilliant at them, even in 1/72, but I just can't get them to look right.

I am hoping I can get this project completed this upcoming weekend.

Excellent work on those figure's Stix :thumbsup:

Thank you Steve.

The figures and the trolley look great. Lots of attention to little details in your paint job! Looks you done it before!? Looking forward seeing it all together - will look stunning.

Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter and thank you. I've not painted these figures before but I have made some, including some RAF ground crew, before - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969553-another-148-revell-icm-mkxvi-spitfire-diorama-b-w-photos-added/?p=1772481

Stix, you definitely need to try the Dark Side of the Force (figure painting, that is), you have the talent for that! :clap::worthy:

And the trolley looks just great, too! :thumbsup:

Ciao

Hi Giemme. Thank you very much but I'm not sure I'm up to figure making/painting yet - I still find this aspect of model making more of a struggle. Maybe one day.........

Excellent work stix, the detail you have got on these is really very good, very realistic.

Your closer to the finish than me!

Rob

:rofl: Now stop it Rob......you are way, way, way too kind. As I said to Giemme - I find figure painting much more difficult, even than working with photo-etch!!! :wacko:

I am hoping to get these completed at the weekend - then again I thought I might have been finished a couple of weekends ago.

Rob, didn't I tell you it's Stix's magic? :winkgrin:

:rofl::rofl:

Those figures are amazing Stix!! They are better than some of the 'professionally painted' available on the market.

Outstanding :worthy::worthy:

Hi Nigel. Like Rob you are way too kind but thank you.

Wow, they do look good Stix. Are they from an airfix set? Just when we all think the master class is coming to an end, you pull somthing out the bag to amaze us some more.

Thank you Ozzy and again - way too kind. Yes they are from the latest Airfix set and very nice they are too.

It seems i missed a lot of excellent modelling. The Spitfires and the figures simply look great, guess that will be a beautiful diorama.

Hi Bernd. Thank you for your very kind comments.

I wonder if he can mail some to me! I forgot his full name was PlaStix the dark earth (Google wizards of Lord of the rings if you have missed the reference

Rob

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

..............well Giemme and Rob - you might have found out that part of my secret is magic but I'm afraid it's not me. I normally try to make sure the following doesn't get out there by editing it out of the photos but, as it could become and issue, I thought I'd better post this photo:

21703396244_9f636fe038_c.jpg

Available at all the best magic-art shops! :winkgrin::winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4