Two 1/48 Mk.I Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (New Tool) - Finished and in the Gallery! - 26/10/15

Hi Stix,

These are an absolute pleasure to look at and have taken this GB to another level :worthy:

The figures and scenery have simply brought these builds to life.

You should be very proud of such wonderful examples of what can be achieved with a 'box of plastic' ;)

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Nigel. Thank you very much for your comments and also thank you for your support throughout this project.

They are just brilliant stix, the set ups are so very well staged... Top notch stuff
Rob

Hi Rob. Thank you very much for your kind comments and thank you to you, as well, for your support throughout this GB.

Love em Stix.

Thank you Hockeyboy!

Stunning Stix. Those are two of the best Spitfires i've seen anywhere. Really well done :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi Greg and thank you very much for your comments as well. And thank you to you as well for your support and encouragement.

I absolutely agree
Extremely well done
John ( GBs started 2 - GBs completed 0 )

Hi John and thank you very much to you too for your comments and also thank you for your support throughout this project. I'm sorry you didn't get to finish your build for this GB but it's better to finish it how you imagined it was going to be rather than rush it for the sake of a deadline. I look forward to following it's progress. :thumbsup:

Love this picture put beautifully into scene - Just perfect. I enjoyed following your build which is full of great advise.

Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter. Thank you very much for your comments - you are very kind.

Very impressive work and photography Stix

One detail point, Spitfires had ammo supplied in boxes which were fitted into the wing from underneath, the upper wing panels were to remove the guns.

This is shows how it was done

this is a posed shot

this is more realistic,

and also on the handled wooden carrier just in front of starboard wheel, and removed lower gun panels, for cocking the guns.

note this is a Vb, with drum fed cannon. Ammo box and feed belt shown going in at 6.27, on a very brief scan.

This initial pull through belt can be seen in above photo as well

The figures with the belted ammo are for Hurricane rearming, see pics here, also note comments on jerrycans.

http://www.britmodel...t/#entry2033097

good excuse for a Hurricane maybe?

Note the thing on the bench is to wind ammo belts through to even them up and check for bent rounds.

this is belts being checked, I think there is a winder on the bench, there are other photos from this sequence

note on the kneeling erk, the belt with screwdriver, and just visible, a cocking wire, a wire hook with a handle. you can see the hook.

Hope of interest, and perhaps inspiration for future figure work.... love the guy smoking as well..

great job on the models as usual.

HTH

T

Hi Troy. Thank you, as always, for your fantastic information. The photos and video are brilliant. I did wonder about the guy with the ammo belt - it didn't seem like he wanted to sit anywhere neatly on the wing - Airfix obviously intended him to go with the Hurricane! That's me not doing my research!

Yes a few Hurricanes are planned for the new year so I will make use of him for one of those builds. I'm going to probably start with a couple of 1/72 Airfix new tool versions for the Hurricane STGB, to practice for a couple (or three) 1/48 versions later on in the year.

Thank you again.

splended work Stix, the build the photography, it's all fantastic.
Ozzy

Hi Ozzy and thank you for your very kind comments. And thank you to you as well for your support and encouragement.

Great job all round, as I said in the RFI thread, a true work of art! :mike:

Ciao

Hi Giemme. Thank you very much Giemme. My thanks go to you as well for all your support and encouragement. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So a big thank again to everyone who has taken the time to drop in to look at my efforts and as I have said before - it makes all the difference having so many fantastic people offering advice, support and encouragement.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

congrats on your work, it was a pleasure to see you make the model. :clap2:

Hi Marek. Thank you for your comments.

Those are just unbelievable Stix, wow!

Thank you Cookenbacher!

Stix, those are things of great beauty, I respectfully doff my hat to you sir clap.gif

Cheers,

Stew

Thank you very much Stew, most kind.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thank you Sean for your kind comments. Yeah I'm looking forward to having a go at some Hurricanes although I'm a bit less confident about them as I know a lot less than I do about Spitfires. I'm going to do some research beforehand.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick post to say a big thank you to everyone who voted for my two builds in both the first and final rounds of the Battle of Britain Group Build poll. I did a longer thank you post here if anyone is interested.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Now that I have an iPad that will play videos I've been catching up. The clip posted by Troy is fantastic, there's a huge amount of close up detail, I particularly like the view of the outer gun muzzle which most kits depict as being on the leading edge centreline.

Congratulations again, now get on with those Hurricanes!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Congratulations Stix, well deserved buddy. After these the Hurricane will be a doddle,

Sean

Thank you Sean. I'm not sure about these Hurricanes. Like before I made any 1/48 Spitfires, with the Hurricanes, I'm going to start with a couple of 1/72 Airfix new tool versions and I know there are some issues - I will wait and see. I need to do some research before the STGB starts. :frantic:

Now that I have an iPad that will play videos I've been catching up. The clip posted by Troy is fantastic, there's a huge amount of close up detail, I particularly like the view of the outer gun muzzle which most kits depict as being on the leading edge centreline.

Congratulations again, now get on with those Hurricanes!

Cheers

John

Hi John. Thank you again. It is a brilliant video isn't it?!

I'm going to start the Hurricanes when the Hurricane STGB starts at the end of January. I've still got my Centurion to finish in the Vietnam GB and I'm going to venture into unknown territory with a P-47D in the P-47 STGB.

Hope you both had a great weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I recently purchased a cheap picture frame from Wilkos as it seemed to have deep enough sides so I could get a battery holder and wiring underneath so I could properly display my 'Spitfire Scramble' scene. Here are a few photos:

27192376765_ecd0dff95e_c.jpg

Switch in the corner:

27096599502_3fe17e8c6c_c.jpg

.....which turns on the motor for the prop:

27096598862_9b3184aa64_c.jpg

27096598682_c163dcc24b_c.jpg

27096598352_94b670a871_c.jpg

26917404210_bf6c504ab2_c.jpg

27158993986_5037a443b9_c.jpg

Comments ans suggestion welcome.

Thank you for looking.
Kind regards,