Two 1/48 Mk.I Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (New Tool) - Finished and in the Gallery! - 26/10/15

Very cunning stix... I instinctively knew who the 'cutting out roundels' comment was aimed at! Giemme did it so well I may just post mine to him, your fine to redo it in 1/72 arn't you giemme?!

Rob

Yeah, sure ... soon after I get a new pair of eyes and much smaller hands :coolio:

• Like 2

Oh come on! After all that cutting, you're more than half way through to making painting masks! :D

Just kidding ... :coolio::winkgrin::whistle:

Ciao

How well I know you - when I was writing the post and I got to this bit: (but no I'm not going to attempt to cut out masks and paint the letters and roundels!) and I knew what you'd say in reply and I seriously almost wrote (but no Giemme I'm not going to attempt to cut out masks and paint the letters and roundels!) :winkgrin:

Wow, that's a mark of steady hands.

.....or something.......... :pilot:

That's a good idea Stix, i quite often get silvering around the decal, i may well try out your method - Thanks for that!

Nick

Hi Nick. It's not my idea - I 'borrowed' it off someone else here on Britmodeller! It is a bit tricky to do in places - internal round corners, etc. but with a bit of practice it does help reduce the amount of silvering.

:goodjob: You're going to put us all to shame Stix. Well, me at least :whistle:

Not at all!! I keep enviously looking at the work you and everyone else is doing here on Britmodeller!

Very cunning stix... I instinctively knew who the 'cutting out roundels' comment was aimed at! Giemme did it so well I may just post mine to him, your fine to redo it in 1/72 arn't you giemme?!

Rob

Hi Rob. You were quite correct!! And you can see from my reply to Giemme - I almost put his name in that bit - I knew that's what he'd say. He's quite correct of course but don't let on or it'll go to his head! :winkgrin: He did an absolutely fantastic job with his painting of the code letters and roundels - maybe if I had an airbrush it might be something I would try.

Yeah, sure ... soon after I get a new pair of eyes and much smaller hands :coolio:

:rofl:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

I sometimes the Johnsons Clear in the water for decals and float them onto a bed of Clear on the model to stop silvering. Seems to work but I don't know that those decals we're going to silver - if you see what I mean...

• Like 1

Hi Grey Beema. Sounds like something I could experiment with - thank you.

No photos at the moment - either the latest iOS update or the latest Flickr upgrade has meant the ability to copy the BBCode has disappeared again on iPad. I don't know why that every time there's an upgrade this functionality dissappears. I will try to post some photos when I get chance to use a PC or laptop, but that may not be until Monday.

Well despite cutting out those decals earlier in the week it still took all this morning's session to get them on but both Spitfires now have all of the necessary decals on. I still need to get some Pledge on to seal them - hopefully tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Stix (not a technology fan!)

iOS is evil ... :devil::whistle: (sorry, I can't have an unbiased opinion on that ...)

Looking forward to the decals pics :popcorn:

Ciao

Can't disagree with your sentiments!

And some decal photos - had to borrow Mrs PlaStix's laptop:

Tamiya:

21917739911_3e635bb930_c.jpg

21721170789_fe41377aba_c.jpg

Airfix:

21917766401_4c85eb6d5b_c.jpg

21720238878_4172152b13_c.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 12

Lovely work Stix. The decal lettering looks great! :)

Thank you Nigel.

The transfers look like they have settled very well

Top quality stix work

Rob

Hi Rob and thank you. I'm just glad I didn't have to use the transfers that come with the kits for the larger stuff - the Xtradecals seem to go on much better.

They both look really good Stix.

Thank you Ozzy.

I agree with all the others: decals look impeccable! :clap:

All that cutting around definitely paid off.

Ciao

Hi Giemme and thank you. I think the cutting out certainly helps remove the opportunityfor silvering between the large letters.

Top notch! No silvering in sight!

Thank you Greg. There is one stencil which stubbornly has a small amount of silvering - I won't in the long-run :fight:

Top quality work.

Thank you Marek.

I managed to get a fair bit of work done on these but there's not a lot of photos to show for it - in fact just the one:

21313361044_ef5026f9e9_c.jpg

I actually sealed the decals on with Pledge and then, while waiting for it to dry on both Spitfires, I did more detail painting, weathering and assembling of some of the smaller bits.

I have actually tried the spinner on the Tamiya version, that I have installed a motor in and............it works!! :thumbsup::coolio: ......well so far..................and hopefully it will do in the long run. :pilot:

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 10

Looking forward to see that spinning propeller working! :popcorn: You'll have to do a Video RFI for that :winkgrin:

Ciao

I just hope it keeps working! Yes I will try and do a video!

More nice work Stix, its all looking good. :goodjob:

Thank you Greg.

Wonderful work and gorgeous looking spits mate. Really nice work as always :)

Thank you Rob, that's very kind of you.

Well only two days until the weekend when I can get more done on these. I'm hoping to get at least as far as getting some Matt varnish on but I need to get the rest of the weathering done first.......we'll see.........can't wait! :pilot:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

You'll have to post a link to a video Stix. Cant wait to see that :Tasty::Tasty:

I promise I will try and get a video done of it working - if I get chance I'll see if I can do a rough version of it in it's current state this weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2