Two 1/48 Mk.I Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (New Tool) - Finished and in the Gallery! - 26/10/15

Nice,

I've seen these in my local model shop, it all looks very interesting. I nealy brought some before I found the prop blur.

• Like 1

Front cowl panel line looks perfect! :goodjob:

Brilliant idea about the wheel legs, I'm sure it's going to work wonder. :clap:

The little motor is sheer genius, I hope you find a good solution for the cables, as this is going to be absolutely stunning!

You're definitely taking this build a huge step beyond!

Ciao

Thank you giemme - I was quite happy with the way the panel line turned out. With regards the poor Airfix undercarriage legs; I've had another thought about how to possibly do them better - see below.

Never mind the wires, where is the battery going to go ;)

:frantic::frantic: - I still don't know!!!

Great build so far Stix :goodjob:

Thank you.

You're just going to have to make a diaramera with the leads disguised as brake cables. Problem solved.

Smiley fa...oh I can't be bothered.

John

Sounds like a possible plan! Now if you could include a diagram of what you're thinking that would be fantastic! :thumbsup::winkgrin:

Nice,

I've seen these in my local model shop, it all looks very interesting. I nealy brought some before I found the prop blur.

Thank you Ozzy. It is a very nice kit and similar to the Vb I built a while back. It does have some interesting issues though - but nothing (so far) that can't be sorted :fight: .

More good work Stix. Keep it up! :goodjob:

Thank you Greg. I will try to!

Hey Stix,

You'll be wanting one of these next!! ;)

P-CB8J-L_zps0h2lb2qh.jpg

Now don't you start!!........ :pilot:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

As mentioned above in my reply to giemme I decided yesterday that my original plan for strengthening the joint at the top of the Airfix Spitfire's legs was going to be a little tricky to get right. I have already glued parts 30 and 31 onto the top of the legs:

20188026944_bacb45b3bc_c.jpg

My original plan was to cut the legs at the base of the original joint and then drill them out so I could add some strong wire to the join. I got to thinking that it was going to be quite difficult to drill the four holes required and get them to line up exactly when fitted together so I drilled out the holes from the top and down through past where the join line is:

20198834274_abea9b4f0f_c.jpg

I figure the tops of these wont be seen inside the wing. The wire I'm going to use is in front of the parts. I haven't got around to cutting the tops off yet - that will be something for next weekend. The method above should (hopefully) mean that there are no alignment problems with the holes but it will mean I will have to be careful making sure the wheels end up at the right angle (but not actually a right angle :winkgrin: )

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

Your plan for wheel legs sounds smart enough. You might just want, after cutting them at the joint, enlarge the receiving hole (supposed that it's going to be the one attached to the wing) just a tad, so that you can have some room for adjustement (for the angle, especially). Filling it in with CA would ensure a very strong bond. Just a thought.

Ciao

• Like 1

Sounds like a good plan to me.

I would love to send you a sketch of my idea For a diorama but my pencil just broke! Sorry.

John

Decent pencils are hard to come by..............

Another diorama perhaps? Will there be sound?

Sean

Almost definitely a diorama. Probably the only sound will be me making the noises............ :pilot:

Your plan for wheel legs sounds smart enough. You might just want, after cutting them at the joint, enlarge the receiving hole (supposed that it's going to be the one attached to the wing) just a tad, so that you can have some room for adjustement (for the angle, especially). Filling it in with CA would ensure a very strong bond. Just a thought.

Ciao

Thanks for the tip giemme - definitely going to do that!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Great looking progress and good work with this seam.

Its also a nice touch to motorise one Spit, i am pretty sure Tamiya released more than one of their 1/48 aircrafts with an engine like this.

Guess they also have a solution to hide the cables.

• Like 1

Great looking progress and good work with this seam.

Its also a nice touch to motorise one Spit, i am pretty sure Tamiya released more than one of their 1/48 aircrafts with an engine like this.

Guess they also have a solution to hide the cables.

Hi Bernd. Thank you. I'm hoping I can find a way of hiding them. I may initially cut them a bit shorter and then solder on some thinner wires and then I'll see where I could run them through.

Great progress Stix. Both builds looking very good. Joe

Thank you Joe.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Have you considered using white metal legs and wheels so the scale parts are the conductors themselves?

edit: SAC do a one piece metal leg for the Airfix kit

That sounds like it would have been a great plan - thank you for the suggestion. For the moment I'm going to stick with what I think I might have an idea for. Thank you for the website suggestion too - it looks like a place my money may end up at some point!

why cut the legs ?? why not just push the pin down the hole ???

I was just thinking exactly the same thing ...

Now there's a good question. I will have a quick look before I do any cutting but my main concern is that I can be very ham-fisted. You wouldn't believe the amount of times I have had to re-attach parts (or straighten them) on the cockpit walls because I forget where I'm holding the fuselage sides to do other things. I just feel I'd probably end up breaking the legs off a few times while I'm doing other stuff on the aircraft and end up making them weaker.

Thank you for mentioning it though.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

oh, i understand now. you want to remove them and attach them later but you need to attach the top part now !!!! :doh:

actually i like the idea of drilling and pinning, i'll use this next time i encounter one of airfix's new undercarriage legs. :thumbsup:

i wonder if airfix realize now awkward these are ??? personally i can see no plus points to their new method :shrug:

• Like 1

Hey Stix,

You'll be wanting one of these next!! ;)

P-CB8J-L_zps0h2lb2qh.jpg

Now that would a major re-model Stix: build a PR Spitfire and use it as a drone :analintruder::yikes::analintruder::yahoo::thumbsup::yahoo:

I am curious how the electro motor works out in you build. I still have nine micro motors used in cellphones to make them vibrate bought dead cheap from a store in China. :)

• Like 1

How about a trolley-acc from one of the airfield accessory sets?

Hi John. That sounds like it would be a great idea but not having one I'm going to have to do something else.

oh, i understand now. you want to remove them and attach them later but you need to attach the top part now !!!! :doh:

actually i like the idea of drilling and pinning, i'll use this next time i encounter one of airfix's new undercarriage legs. :

i wonder if airfix realize now awkward these are ??? personally i can see no plus points to their new method :shrug:

Hi theanorak73. No problem. With regards the legs; I borrowed the idea off someone on Britmodeller but it seems a good way to go with the design flaw from Airfix. I'm sure many people will have let Airfix know of the problem but whether they choose to do anything about it is another matter.

Wow! Incredible modelling! I wish I'd have looked at your thread before rushing into the building of my Spitfire. Following this one for sure :popcorn:

Thank you Dan you are way too kind!

Now that would a major re-model Stix: build a PR Spitfire and use it as a drone :analintruder::yikes::analintruder::yahoo::thumbsup::yahoo:

I am curious how the electro motor works out in you build. I still have nine micro motors used in cellphones to make them vibrate bought dead cheap from a store in China. :)

Hi Julian. Yes that would be a little bit too much for me! At the pace I build it would never be finished! With regards the motor I'm hoping it will work, but we'll see. I've done some testing today with the fuselage held together with tape and the motor running. I'm hoping tomorrow to get the fuselage halves glued together.

I have done a fair bit over the past couple of days but not had time to sort the photos I've taken ready for posting.

I'll try and get some done soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Time for a slightly late update. I managed to get a fair bit done over the past couple of days.

Following drilling the holes in the tops of the legs I cut off the tops and fitted them in the wings. I also fitted the remaining internal parts:

20981561061_d192aa34f6_c.jpg

View from below:

20964256692_550f4d16cb_c.jpg

The legs after the tops were cut away:

20351480224_73cf034a82_c.jpg

The gun bays and wheel wells were painted:

20352983953_7fcd9302b4_c.jpg

The machine-guns were painted with Anthracite:

20964214462_b6ded211f6_c.jpg

..........before being dry-brushed with Gunmetal:

20982585016_e5aed18f9b_c.jpg

The insides of the upper wing parts were also painted:

20981494121_d1a7af007f_c.jpg

The light from below:

20964186732_af22c87490_c.jpg

When the paint layers were dry I applied an Anthracite wash over which I dry-brushed Aluminium:

20820926828_63aa47d010_c.jpg

The wire was then glued, with CA glue, into each leg:

20820895888_43bde6f9aa_c.jpg

........followed by some test fitting:

21016346021_92bccf86cb_c.jpg

The machine gun parts were then fitted inside the port armament bay:

20982543956_e9dd2f92eb_c.jpg

I wanted to see what the bays looked like with the upper wing part temporarily held in place with masking tape:

20820831268_b47d6c9539_c.jpg

20998820662_095533fc21_c.jpg

As it's a Bank Holiday weekend I'll try and get some more done tomorrow.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 9

Looks like you've cracked it ( not literally of course ) with the main gear legs,I'll probably do the same with mine when I eventually get around to them.

Well done

John

PS not a bank holiday here, but who cared when you're retired.

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1