Two 1/48 Mk.I Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (New Tool) - Finished and in the Gallery! - 26/10/15

That's a really nice well detailed seat stix. Very good!

Thou the airfix seat is thicker it does look good, Eduard definitely have the right look for the seat but the airfix is a good second

Rob

• Like 1

That seat looks the business, nice and tidy, if that was mine it would probably stuck to me and the desk,

Sean

• Like 1

That looks good Stix, on the sprue too. Joe

Thank you Joe. Yes I still like to keep stuff on the sprue as long as possible. It gives me more to hold onto rather than just the parts themselves.

That's a really nice well detailed seat stix. Very good!

Thou the airfix seat is thicker it does look good, Eduard definitely have the right look for the seat but the airfix is a good second

Rob

Hi Rob. Yes I think Eduard have done a pretty good job with this seat and I agree that the Airfix one looks good too once it's got paint and other details in place.

Looking good, nice belts.

Thank you Ozzy.

Seat and frame definitely looking good! And I know it takes time to get to this point....

Ciao

Hi giemme. I still think I seem to take longer than most! Hope your having a great holiday.

Excellent work on that seat mate, look's very good!

Nick

Thank you Nick - to be fair it's mostly down to Eduard's nice design on this one.

That seat looks the business, nice and tidy, if that was mine it would probably stuck to me and the desk,

Sean

Thank you Sean and it was stuck to me on several occasions!!

I managed a few minutes on this seat this morning which meant I was able to get the remaining parts of the harness attached:

19844849822_a801c03805_c.jpg

19665638999_5a3fd00960_c.jpg

Not a lot........but it's a bit of progress. Unfortunately I'm going to have to wait until the weekend to do any more on this.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 9

That looks really nice, good work :thumbsup:

Thank you Bernd.

That's some quality work dude. Loving this thread.

Cheers Hockeyboy, very kind of you to say.

While enjoying my holyday, I'm also enjoying your build! :goodjob:

4 more days, then I'm back (modelling)

Ciao

Hi giemme. Mrs PlaStix and I have been away for a few days and I've not been on BM for a while, so I would imagine that you are at the end, or have finished, your holiday. Hope you had a great time - now back to the kits!

nicely done Stix as usualy :) cant wait to see more! :)

Thank you Wolwe.

Seat look's superb Stix.

Thank you Steve.

As I mentioned to giemme (above) Mrs PlaStix and I have been away for a few days so I have a lot of catching up to do with this group build, but this morning I got on and did some more bits and pieces on my two builds. As with all my builds I seem to work for quite a while but don't seem to have a lot to show for it!

So it was more cockpit stuff today. I decided this morning that I wanted to get the instrument panels underway. If you have read any of the previous posts in this thread you'll possibly be aware that I am using the Eduard PE set designed for this, the new tool version, of the Airfix Mk.I Spitfire.

On the other hand, for the Tamiya Mk.I, I'm using a combination of the Eduard PE set designed specifically for the Tamiya Mk.I kit plus parts of the Eduard PE set which really meant for older Airfix Mk.I Spitfire.

This is how they both look so far - Tamiya on the left with the IP designed for the older Airfix Mk.I and new tooled Airfix on the right with Eduard IP designed for it:

19807582819_8cddc0ec38_c.jpg

Also - in front of the two IPs - is the Airfix seat support. I had previously attached the photo-etch sides but today I also drilled out the holes right through the plastic and painted and weathered the whole lot.

You may notice on the Tamiya version of the IP that the PE designed for the older Airfix version is just a bit deeper than the original Tamiya IP area - but I don't think it will be too obvious once it's buttoned up in the fuselage.

Today I also painted and did a bit of weathering on the frames for the Airfix Mk.I cockpit:

19806281550_7d59001eba_c.jpg

And finally I added the seat adjustment leaver and the headrest on the Tamiya seat:

19806272850_ddfe6c0967_c.jpg

19806255190_cdb551cbb6_c.jpg

More tomorrow I hope.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

Hi Stix, great job with the seats - as usual! :thumbsup: And the IPs also look great, Eduard PE are definitely top notch!

I'm back, arrived early this morning, so I'm still recovering some sleep, but I think tonight I might be able to get some modelling done :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi Stix, great job with the seats - as usual! :thumbsup: And the IPs also look great, Eduard PE are definitely top notch!

I'm back, arrived early this morning, so I'm still recovering some sleep, but I think tonight I might be able to get some modelling done :winkgrin:

Ciao

Good morning giemme. Thank you giemme and I'm looking forward to seeing the next instalment of your project.

Nice work Stix.

Cheers Ozzy. Just about to start work to get the cockpits a bit further along.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Stix, that's a really good idea fitting out the seat when it's attached to the sprue. I think I will try that for myself. I sometimes have trouble holding small items, but your method leaves a lot to hold on to. The seat looks excellent by the way. Joe

• Like 1

Hi Stix, that's a really good idea fitting out the seat when it's attached to the sprue. I think I will try that for myself. I sometimes have trouble holding small items, but your method leaves a lot to hold on to. The seat looks excellent by the way. Joe

Hi Joe. Thank you for your comments. Whenever I can, I leave parts on the sprues as long as possible, as you say, it gives more to hold onto when painting and assembling small parts. It's something I've done since getting back into kit building a couple of years ago. I feel my fingers are a little on the big and clumsy side when it comes to doing delicate bits and pieces. I do try and cut away and tidy up any sprue gates where possible, only trying to keep those in place which will be more hidden or easily cleaned up and painted after cutting the part away.

This will sound a bit like a broken record again in that I worked for quite a while on this today but once more there doesn't seem to be a lot to see - I have to resign myself to the fact I'm a bit of a slow kit-builder!

First off I added the levers to the right of both the compass supports. Nothing major about these just really fiddly to do!:19835108699_a6b1685d85_c.jpg

I then decided I wanted to get the Airfix seat together. I initially added the seat support and headrest armour to the frame:

19995476956_210d219cd0_c.jpg

Next I fitted the seat itself to the back armour:

20013955692_823b284dac_c.jpg

Then it was a case of attaching the lap belts, then the seat adjustment lever before attaching this lot to the frame:

19400752153_c672b6e1d2_c.jpg

19995454206_31dc9d30dc_c.jpg

...........and that's where I ran out of time. I have also painted and weathered some of the other cockpit parts so hopefully I'll get a bit more done next weekend.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 11

The instrument panels are looking very good, so is the seat. Joe

• Like 1

Ciao

good! About time stop this relaxing lark and get on with it!! ;)

Stix more lovely details, these are progressing brilliantly. Keep it going stix

Rob

• Like 3

The instrument panels are looking very good, so is the seat. Joe

Thank you Joe - to be fair that's mostly down to Eduard. :D

Stix more lovely details, these are progressing brilliantly. Keep it going stix

Rob

Hi Rob. Thank you for you kind comments and I'm going to try to! :frantic:

Looking good Stix, it's not the speed you do things. It the enjoyment you get from the build.

Thank you Ozzy. You are quite correct - I do enjoy just messing about with these bits of plastic, no matter how long it takes!

Nice work Stix! I love the little details. :goodjob:

Thank you for your comments Greg.

Monday always seems like such a long way from the next weekend when I can do more kit building! Too long sometimes....... :weep:

Oh well.......more time to read everyone else's build threads! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Cracking job on that seat Stix,I like this idea of sub-assembling part's on the sprue.

Hi Steve. Thank you. I must admit I find it really useful to make up and assemble bits and pieces while they are still on the sprues. Apart from allowing me not to handle the parts themselves as much, it also offers some level of protection to this pieces, especially when the pieces are still pretty much surrounded by the sprue. You can probably see that I cut more and more away depending on what needs to be added and if the sprue is in the way - like with the PE bits and pieces added to the seat above where I had to cut the seat frame away from all the sprue apart from the one piece below.

• Like 1