Two 1/48 Mk.I Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (New Tool) - Finished and in the Gallery! - 26/10/15

As I'm writing this I'm lucky enough to be sat in our kitchen looking out at the back garden, watching the local squirrels industrially going about their business of acquiring nuts from the feeders and then digging holes in the lawn to bury them. There's the distant sound of the motorway we live near and occasionally the sound, overhead, of aeroplanes off to sunnier climes. It's drizzling with rain here.

As has been mentioned by others on BM before, it's difficult for someone my age (55) to imagine what it must have actually been like at this time 75 years ago.

When I was growing up in Derby, in the sixties, I remember being fascinated by the stories told by my relatives about the war. I'm pretty sure I was building kits by about the age of five or six and I know some of the earliest kits I built (badly) were British and German World War 2 fighters. I was 9 or 10 when I first saw the Battle of Britain film at the cinema and remember being absolutely obsessed with everything to do with the actual Battle of Britain after seeing it. I spent ages going through the booklet about the film, which was bought for me at the cinema (those were the days!) and any other reading matter on the subject I could get hold of. I know I built more aircraft from both sides in the months/years after.

I remember I was was particularly impressed with the sound of the Spitfire's engine in the film. Then, a year or so after, I was lucky enough to go to some kind of event at Crich Tramway Museum, in Derbyshire, where they had aircraft doing displays, including at least one Spitfire. I remember I was so excited, not just to see one, but to hear one too! I took some photos of it/them in flight but when the prints came back from the chemist I seemed to have only taken photographs of the sky with the odd black speck in it.

We're now lucky enough to live within a mile of a place which holds a two day air display every year, so I actually get to have Spitfires, Hurricanes, Lancasters, etc. flying over our house! So I now have some photos of the aircraft, not only in flight, but over my house! My younger self would never have believed it possible.

If anyone has seen any of my previous builds here on BM they'll probably know that, since getting back into building kits, after a gap of too many years, the bulk of the few kits I have made have been Spitfires. So, when this Group Build was mentioned I knew I wanted to be a part of it and I knew which aircraft I would be building.

At the time I signed up for the GB, the kit I chose to build was the slightly flawed 1/48 Tamiya Mk.I and I also picked up the Eduard PE set to go with it. Then Airfix released their new tooled version and, as I've not long finished two Mk.Vb Spitfires, I thought I'd do the same with these two Spitfires and build both alongside each other.

Although I haven't, as yet, fully decided which actual aircraft I'm going to build these two kits as, I thought I would post a photo of the bits and pieces I'm going to use:
19399633265_bff0b7a678_c.jpg

I'm really looking forward to getting started next weekend and I know, while I'm making these, I will think about what it must have been like 75 years ago for The Few and, as a result of their efforts and sacrifice, how lucky I am to be sat in a peaceful location, building kits of my favourite aircraft and occasionally watching squirrels digging up our lawn.

To The Few

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 21

What I wouldn't give to have at least one of those aircraft fly over my house.

Your build choices look fantastic,I built the tamiya a few years ago, I had no problems with the fit.

Ozzy

• Like 1

What I wouldn't give to have at least one of those aircraft fly over my house.

Your build choices look fantastic,I built the tamiya a few years ago, I had no problems with the fit.

Ozzy

Hi Ozzy. I have to admit when the air displays started, about 10 years ago, I was gobsmacked! Our house is under the ends of some of the display routes and is, as well, under one of the routes into and away from the show for the aircraft. To have the BBMF (when they're booked to appear) and other amazing aircraft flying above our house is like a dream come true.

Thank you for the information about the Tamiya kit - it does look very nice in the box.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

I can't believe this GB is finally upon us Stix, and I'm looking forward to following along with these. I enjoyed your Mk V's very much.

Hi Cookenbacher. I know what you mean - I've been looking forward to this since it was first mentioned and it's great that in a weeks time it'll be underway! Can't wait!

Are planning on taking part and, if so, what're you thinking of building?

Kind regards,

Stix

Oh yes, I have plans for a 92 Sqn Spitfire and two 303 Sqn Hurricanes - all Airfix 1/72. Can't wait either!

Excellent! I look forward to following all of them.

• Like 1

Stix! Another double spitfire! You have raised my excitement for the start for this GB!

Rob

Cheers Rob. Don't think I'm going to be the the only one building more than one Spitfire (or other BoB aircraft) in this GB!

Nice to see both kits being build together.

Hi Antoine. I did something similar a while back with Tamiya's and Airfix's Mk.Vbs and I found it very useful making the two at the same time. Hopefully this will be a similar experience. This time I've got some extra PE for both and a set of decals because the Mk.Vb's decals in both kits were a bit troublesome in places.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing you do your magic with these Stix, the Airfix kit is a great build and really looks the part when done. I haven't built the Tamiya version, but being Tamiya i expect it to be very very good..

Can't wait for the build to start!

Nick

• Like 1

Looking forward to following this one as with your VB's Stix.

I have those what was it like to be there moments to. My Grandfather, sadly no longer with us, grew up in the Essex countryside and was a teenager during the BoB. He could remember watching the air battles overhead and would recount to us as children quite vividly his memories which is one of the reasons I find myself so interested in the subject today.

Thanks

James

• Like 2

And off we go again Stix, more Spitfire goodness. Delighted to hear about your freebie airshows.

Bed and breakfast?

Sean

• Like 1

Hi Antoine. I did something similar a while back with Tamiya's and Airfix's Mk.Vbs and I found it very useful making the two at the same time. Hopefully this will be a similar experience. This time I've got some extra PE for both and a set of decals because the Mk.Vb's decals in both kits were a bit troublesome in places.

With another plus, two kit less for the stash, instead of only one, for the same build time (more or less!).

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing you do your magic with these Stix, the Airfix kit is a great build and really looks the part when done. I haven't built the Tamiya version, but being Tamiya i expect it to be very very good..

Can't wait for the build to start!

Nick

Thank you Nick, you're very kind. Thank you for the info about the Airfix kit too. And, as you may have guessed - I can't wait either - should be a great GB!

Looking forward to following this one as with your VB's Stix.

I have those what was it like to be there moments to. My Grandfather, sadly no longer with us, grew up in the Essex countryside and was a teenager during the BoB. He could remember watching the air battles overhead and would recount to us as children quite vividly his memories which is one of the reasons I find myself so interested in the subject today.

Thanks

James

Hi James. Yes the stories from Grandparents, parents and other relatives were so important to forming my long lasting interest in the subject. The stories your Grandfather passed to you, especially having lived in that area of the country, must have been amazing.

And off we go again Stix, more Spitfire goodness. Delighted to hear about your freebie airshows.

Bed and breakfast?

Sean

Yep....more Spifires!

The free airshows are really great - although we have paid a few times to actually go to the event!

With another plus, two kit less for the stash, instead of only one, for the same build time (more or less!).

Hi Antoine. Yes that is part of the plan although judging by how long I took with the Vbs, it's not necessarily quick!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Nice one Stix,I,ll let you get a good way ahead then rip off all your methods! looking forward to this :popcorn:

Hi Steve - rip off all you need! (Don't let on though, but I've stolen most of what I do off others here on Britmodeller anyway, including your good self!)

Indeed stix you won't be the only one! But after the vb's I'm very interested to see what you do... No pressure though

Rob

Thanks Rob.

Kind regards,

Stix

If you've seen these two kits before then skip this post as I've taken a few photos of the contents of the boxes.

Airfix's new Mk.I box with it's rather impressive artwork:

19467358591_551ca58a25_c.jpg

The contents of this box including the Eduard PE set I'd bought cheap a while back, which is actually for their old Mk.I (which I thought I'd probably buy at some point), but felt there may be a few useful bits I could use on the new version*:

19437014556_70b597d47e_c.jpg

Tamiya box:

19276945989_f5a58531de_c.jpg

Contents of the Tamiya box (which looks like a lot less than the Airfix kit) including the Eduard PE set I bought for this kit:

19463065885_8aa42a3ab0_c.jpg

Sample of the Airfix instructions and painting guide:

19437010946_d7b63e6c37_c.jpg

19437010336_1726226357_c.jpg

Instructions for the Tamiya kit:

19276943709_b060170401_c.jpg

19456739712_a7b5b609a5_c.jpg

19275516710_f3881d77d7_c.jpg

19467355081_a8976ae91e_c.jpg

* As I mentioned above - I saw the Eduard PE set for the older Airfix Mk.I a while back and bought it thinking that, at some point, I'd be making the older version. Now Eduard have released the set for this new tool version so I felt, for this GB, I ought to use it. I'm going to keep the older version on hand and perhaps see if I can use any of the bits on either the Airfix or Tamiya kits.

Eduard PE set from 2010 for the older Airfix Mk.I:

19467352621_b90cea029b_c.jpg

Eduard PE set for the new tool Airfix Mk.I (2015):

19467360491_e6fea0f817_c.jpg

Eduard PE set for the Tamiya kit:

19275514640_fee6926f7b_c.jpg

I have also purchased this set of decals:

19275522940_5b9684c0f4_c.jpg

.....although I still haven't decided which actual aircraft I'm going to make these two kits as. There is another reason I purchased these decals and that is because I had quite a poor experience with both the sets of decals with my Mk.Vb kits.

Roll on Saturday!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 7

:popcorn::popcorn::Tasty: 'nough said!

Ciao

:lol: Thank you Giemme.

I look forward to watching your progress Stix, especially as i have the Airfix kit in the stash. Cheers Greg

Thank you Greg. I'm looking forward to following your builds too (as well as everyone else's!!)

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Hi Stix, it seems there is another great double Spitfire project on the way. Good luck with these fine kits and the very nice aftermarket stuff

• Like 1

Hi Stix, it seems there is another great double Spitfire project on the way. Good luck with these fine kits and the very nice aftermarket stuff

Hi Bernd. I must admit I'm itching to get started on these two.

Are you going to be taking part in this GB? It'd be good to have one of your builds to follow as well.

• Like 1

Hi Stix, good choice of Spitfires. I've made a couple of the Tamiya Spitfires, and very good they are too. I got the Airfix Spitfire when I noticed one set of markings was for a Westhampnett Spitfire (which I'm sure you know is the Goodwood car racing circuit). That's only about 10 miles from me as the crow flies. Looking forward to seeing you progress your builds. Joe

• Like 1