1/48 - Yakovlev BB-22bis (Yak-4) by Mars Models - released

Homebee

Excuse me while I go, no, I run to cancel all my eBay snipes and get me one of these beauties or both.

(They were so good-looking, the Yak-2 and -4. Why did they have to be such crap at their job?)

Edited by Bonehammer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Okay, so I got me one and the detail is fine and crisp. It's one of those 'drop everything else you're doing and build me at once' kits. The major issure is that while there is no noticeable misalignment, there is quite a prominent line at the mould halves junction that will require cleaning. All parts are commendably thin for a short-run - at least I think it's a short run. The injection channels and the trailing edges of the wings are thin, too.

The instructions specify Humbrol 78 for the interior, whereas the A-14 interior colour was a mid grey, which could look 'warmer' over a coat of zinc chromate primer, but was definitely not green (I like to use Humbrol 87).

One interesting thing is the other releases shown on the box sides: a Yak-40, TB-3(!) and G-2(!)

Those of you who missed out on the ICM giant bomber have another chance...

• Like 2

Bonehammer, on 15 Aug 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

Okay, so I got me one and the detail is fine and crisp. It's one of those 'drop everything else you're doing

One interesting thing is the other releases shown on the box sides: a Yak-40, TB-3(!) and G-2(!)

Those of you who missed out on the ICM giant bomber have another chance...

Yak-40, TB-3(!) and G-2(!)

Scale? 1/72nd, I suppose.

More about Yak-4 - Source: http://www.greenmats.club/topic/1247-148-як-2-и-як-4/

art. 48002 1/48 Як-4 - 12 литников, 2 ФТД (набор отличается другим литником с мотогондолами и доп. литником с винтами, а также доп. платой ФТД)

568ff6b989202_-4(10).thumb.jpg.f54a7a8be

568ff69fab7ab_-4-M.thumb.jpg.fd8aa6009b0 568ff69c36175_-4-E.thumb.jpg.504488e9cf8

инструкция по сборке Як-4 -Як-4 инструкция 1.pdf, Як-4 инструкция 2.pdf

569109bc0ff09_-2-4cg_01.thumb.jpg.22f7a0 569109c0011a2_-2-4cg_02.thumb.jpg.1e4e5c 5693ebb23a7ae_-2-4dec.thumb.jpg.5eb6de85

инструкция по окраске Як-2/4 - Як-2-4 cg.pdf

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Er, yes, in my excitement I forgot about that detail. The scale is 1/72 for all three. The box arts show an Aeroflot optional for the Yak, a civilian livery and skis (possibly Aviaartika CCCP L2154) for the G-2 and V-VS green for the TB-3.

My needs for more interwar bombers are currently covered but imagine a scene with a Tupolev G-2 on skis parked on the ice while a Junkers JuG-1 floats by... more corrugated aluminium than a pair of Nissen huts!

Edited by Bonehammer
  • Like 2

What's the major difference between this one and the Yak-2 version?

Which one would you recommend if only buying one of the versions?

The Yak-4 was an improvement over the Yak-2 with more powerful engines, twin wheel arrangement vs. a larger single wheel and a more bulbous canopy to give the rear gunner some room to manouver.

The Yak-2 was sleeker and more streamlined, while the Yak-4 renounced some of this cleanliness for improved handling and survivability. The -2 was 'pristine', the -4 was 'definitive'. With the -4 you have a slightly wider choice of schemes (either green over blue or green and black over blue; Yak-2 only had the former scheme).

I'd say the Yak-4 has a slight advantage. But the differences are minor, and either would stand out from the crowd in a collection.

• Like 1