Spitfire Vc to IXc Conversion - Fuselage Light

Sky Pilot

Earlier I posed the following question in the All Things Spitfire topic but there were no responses Possibly the question was hidden amongst the many questions on that topic. Consequently I am repeating the question as a specific topic here.

"After completion of the batch of Vc to IXc "conversions" did the subsequent "early production" IXcs carry the clear (white) light seen on top of the Vc fuselage behind the cockpit ?"

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

WIP

Thanks for your response.

Basically I am referring to any IXcs produced after the conversions.

Edit:

The Eduard "early version" kit (EN354) shows the light fitted - was this a Vc physically converted to a IXc ? The "late version" kit shows the light is not fitted.

Edited by Sky Pilot

All the IXc production, then?

All I can say is that at least some did. I have a picture of BS306 in 402 Squadron service showing it clearly, also one of another 402 Squadron Spitfire IX claiming to be BS430 (though not all the serial can be seen). EN398 is also known to have had one. So you should be OK with anything prior to that.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

Supermarine list a mod, for the V, VII, VIII, IX, XI, XII & XIII, "To delete upward identification lamp," but don't give a date; the RAF show it as from 15-2-43, on the IX. EN354 was a V - IX conversion, and there were 294 in total, which were not in any sort of sequence, since they ranged from AA--- to MA---.

• Like 2