B-24 Lady Be Good diorama - good idea or seen it before?

Dermo245

Hey everyone,

As a young lad, I remember being really taken with the story of B-24 'Lady Be Good', the mystery of the plane herself and the subsequent story behind its discovery and its crew. (I think I read about it in a book called 'Great Air Mysteries')

Then, there was Shep Paine's iconic diorama of the same plane which like a lot of his work, really inspired me to get into the hobby.

I was thinking about maybe having a go at a similar diorama of the plane..but I'm wondering whether you think it's been done before and might look like a sad attempt at copying what is a great build?

Even though it was a terrible ordeal for the poor crew, I really think it's a story that deserves telling in a hobby kind of way.

Look forward to your thoughts..

Dermot

I would say - it's up to you. If you want to do it, inspired by the story, the fate of the men, and Sheperd Paine's work, then do it.

On the other hand, if you're worried about drawing comparisons to other people's work, you're not going to have as much fun with your projects if you're trying to be original all the time!

:2c:

Edited by Brokenedge
  • Like 1

Go for it. There's nothing wrong with being inspired by Shep's work. You don't need to copy his dio exactly. You can always add your own unique little touches. I did a similar thing when I was a kid. I did my own version of his other Liberator diorama (crew painting the assembly ship). I thoroughly enjoyed doing it.

Also, think of it as your own tribute to the crew of LBG. After reading the book Lady's Men, I thought about doing exactly the same thing myself, truth be told. ;)

• Like 1

By all means, please proceed. Shep Paine is a master, but his is only one interpretation of the event and it is always good to see what others can do with the same story. Perhaps you could set the diorama in 1958 when the BP oil exploration team discovered the wreckage, or in 1959 when the USAF sent the first recovery team. However you build it, I believe your diorama would be a fitting tribute to the brave aircrew.

• Like 1

I think its a great idea for a build . When can we expect to see some pictures of your finished diorama ? I remember seeing some parts recovered from the wreckage at the Write Patterson, AFB Museum in Dayton ,OH . There may be a diorama there as well . This may be a good reason to head back up there . I need to see if the "Memphis Belle" is on display . See you inspired me ..... may be contagious .

• Like 1

I think its a great idea for a build . When can we expect to see some pictures of your finished diorama ? I remember seeing some parts recovered from the wreckage at the Write Patterson, AFB Museum in Dayton ,OH . There may be a diorama there as well . This may be a good reason to head back up there . I need to see if the "Memphis Belle" is on display . See you inspired me ..... may be contagious .

Thanks - might not be this year after all....lot of builds starting to back up on the bench!

Enjoy the museum trip.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My friend, it is entirely down to you what subject you build. If you had a lot of negative responses here, I would suggest you stick two fingers up to us all and do it anyway. I would also agree that comparing your work to others (and particularly to that quality) is not the best of ideas. Do it and enjoy!

• Like 1

Something I learned a few years ago, use great diorama like that for inspiration and not comparison. I was building a Stirling and comparing it to a fantastic one on the internet, it completely frustrated me. Once I realised that, I cracked on with my own interpretation and my motivation was restored. After all, I was building it for me, not to win competitions. Certainly nothing wrong with duplicating an event that has already been portrayed.

• Like 1