1/72 - Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c by Airfix - released - new boxing in Q2 2017

Homebee

New Airfix kit announced: 1/72nd Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/workbench-behind-the-scenes-at-airfix/

New tooling No.1 Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c

ImageA_Line_drawings_of_the-BE2_series_o

BE2c profile line drawings

We're excited to announce that the 1:72 Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c will be part of the new Airfix 2016 range, due for release in January. Designed by the government Royal Aircraft Factory, the BE.2c was predominantly a reconnaissance aircraft, at a time when the main focus of aviation activity was obtaining battlefield information.

The first edition of our new Aerodrome blog includes a robust history of the BE2c, including the destruction of airship SL.11 and the first Victoria Cross award for actions in the UK, so we will concentrate on the model's development from here.

ImageB_Preserved-Royal-Aircraft-Factory-

A preserved example of the Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c

Any new model tooling project has a long and complex development period - to explain the process in detail would take several blogs! The first step is obviously to decide on a subject, obtain the relevant permissions and begin researching it for argument's sake, lets assume that the new model is an aircraft. The next stage is to gather detailed drawings and archive photography, then arrange a visit to a 'real' example (assuming that it still exists) to painstakingly measure and photograph, and possibly laser scan the aircraft.

The design work begins with the creation of a 3D CAD surface model of the aircraft in the desired scale. The parts are then designed from this surface model and the required surface details are added. The whole design process can take from 3 weeks for this BE2c, up to 10 months for the 1:24 Typhoon.

ImageC_BE2c_rigging_plan.jpg

Technical rigging plan of the BE2c, used at the development stage

The Design is then prototyped to allow the team to check the accuracy of the design, and how the kit assembles. After several more internal hurdles, work can begin on designing and producing the model tooling itself.

ImageD_Aircraft_photographed_on_a_resear

Airfix research trip to Duxford airfield

Even after all of this development work has been completed, it will still be many months before the new model is available in the shops. Once the tool is ready to be tested, it will run a series of test shots. These are built by the designer to test for any required altercations or refinements, and the process is repeated. While tooling is underway, any artwork that may be required can begin to be designed, which includes production of the decals needed for the new model and the all important instruction sheet. The penultimate stage is to commission any box artwork for the model, before production samples are finally approved and the kit released for sale. All this work can take many months to complete and although we have made it sound quite a methodical process, there will inevitably be a multitude of challenges along the way.

ImageE_Spectacular_looking_stereo_image_

Computer rendered 3D CAD image of the new Airfix BE2c aircraft model

The beautiful new BE2c will be an extremely welcome addition to the Airfix aviation range and as you can see from the CAD model image below, it is an extremely impressive piece of work. This image also shows the addition of the 10 wing spar mounted Le Prieur rockets, which were designed to be used in the battle against the Zeppelin balloon menace. The rockets proved to be rather ineffective against these silent night raiders, with the firing of them being much more visually impressive, than operationally effective.

A brand new detail, which also features in our second new release below, is the inclusion for the first time of digitally sculpted pilot figures, a technology never seen before in an Airfix kit.

ImageF_A_BE2c_nightfighter_with_Le_Prieu

Computer rendered 3D CAD BE2c model, featuring the strut mounted Le Prieur rockets

Decal options for the new BE2c

The new BE2c model is due to be released in January 2016 and will be supplied with decal options to complete one of two aircraft. They will be:

Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c, 2693, Lt. William Leefe Robinson, Suttons Farm Airfield

Essex 3rd September 1916

This is the aircraft that Robinson used when destroying German airship SL.11, over Cuffley on 3rd September 1916. He was awarded the Victoria Cross for this action.

Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c, 8407, Royal Naval Air Service, East Fortune Airfield, East Lothian December 1916

This aircraft was fitted with ten Le Prieur rockets, which were attached to the outer wing struts of the aeroplane.

ImageG_Sprue_image_of_the_new_BE2c_model

Model sprue image for the new BE2c model in 1/72nd scale

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Sweet. If you build the rocket option, you've got the strut angle set for you automatically (though there looks to be a jig of some kind provided too).

I wonder how many people will build one of these and display it beside the 1958 vintage RE8 kit? That'll show us how the hobby and technology has come along.

• Like 1

Sweet. If you build the rocket option, you've got the strut angle set for you automatically (though there looks to be a jig of some kind provided too).

I wonder how many people will build one of these and display it beside the 1958 vintage RE8 kit? That'll show us how the hobby and technology has come along.

I think I will be. Spent ages modifying the RE8 then even longer rigging it! Great news from Airfix though.

Airfix take the chance and make the kit from transparent plastic so we can finally replicate the shine through effect of linen !!!

IMHO that'd be bad news. Roden tried it with their 1/48th 1 1/2 Strutter, and a few other people have too in other scales, and were not met with much approval. Purely because transparent plastic is very brittle (has to be, some of the things that give colours also plasticise the plastic - so to speak). Very hard to work with a whole kit made of the stuff, and if the struts were made of it I wouldn't give much chances for preparing them successfully.

Paul.

IMHO that'd be bad news. Roden tried it with their 1/48th 1 1/2 Strutter, and a few other people have too in other scales, and were not met with much approval. Purely because transparent plastic is very brittle (has to be, some of the things that give colours also plasticise the plastic - so to speak). Very hard to work with a whole kit made of the stuff, and if the struts were made of it I wouldn't give much chances for preparing them successfully.

Paul.

Only the main bigger more robust parts (wings, tailplanes and maybe the fuselage halves) needed to be transparent, the delicate parts that are prone to snap can still be in the usual grey flexible plastic ...

Only the main bigger parts (wings, tailplanes and maybe the fuselage halves) needed to be transparent, the delicate parts that are prone to snap can still be in the usual grey fexible plastic ...

But then they'd have to redesign the sprues in those shots............

Paul.

Well that's my 60th Birthday present to self sorted, but can we refer Airfix to the court of human rights on the grounds of cruelty, making me wait six months before they arrive. It would have been better if they just appeared without fanfare. Also it takes all the fun out of the guessing game we have in November.

• Like 1

Airfix did plan a BE2 kit back in 1976 I understand, but it did not get far which is probably just as well. Lots of potential with this kit for other variants using the early wing. i can see me crosskiting this with a Phoenix BE2A (with changes to wing shape) and an HR BE12b. Looks like a sensible wing jig on the sprue shots.

Ah, this is great.

Also even better news is that we only have to wait 6 months knowing it is due, whereas we have had to wait 11 (possibly 12 ) knowing the Shackleton is on its way!

I will definitely be getting one some of these.

Cheers, Ray

AT LAST !!

Messrs Airfix - we still need the FK.8, FE.2, DH.6, any Farman (20? 40?), Voisin 8, Caudron G.4 and so on...

Sweet dreams, aren't they?

Paul.

Agree entirely with Paul. Pure polystyrene is clear and brittle. The plasticiser make it opaque. The Roden kits are a right PITA.

Shane

Only the main bigger more robust parts (wings, tailplanes and maybe the fuselage halves) needed to be transparent, the delicate parts that are prone to snap can still be in the usual grey flexible plastic ...

The clear parts then also have to be perfect. Technique too. Any sanding, filling, gluing less than perfect painting etc shows up like the proverbial dog's danglies.

Note also that the parts are already on sprues with a lot of very fine parts which (from the bleating) I know are a problem for those not accustomed to building WW1 subjects.

Shane

(edit: oh poo, Paul has already covered that too. Sorry)

Edited by Shane

New Airfix kit announced: 1/72nd Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/workbench-behind-the-scenes-at-airfix/

Seriously nice subject. However it does appear to have raised starving cow ribs on the *underside* of the wings. Either the Airfix laser scan doesn't work worth a cracker, or I'll be burning a lot of sandpaper removing them. A pity, since the likes of Roden (first) then Eduard eventually noticed that they don't exist.

Shane

Seriously nice subject. However it does appear to have raised starving cow ribs on the *underside* of the wings. Either the Airfix laser scan doesn't work worth a cracker, or I'll be burning a lot of sandpaper removing them. A pity, since the likes of Roden (first) then Eduard eventually noticed that they don't exist.

Shane

Hopefully it's exagerated by sideways lightning, but it does look a little OTT, Presumably since release date is half a year away this is a test shot and they might accept some feedback, and (more importantly) be able to do something about it.

Paul.

Photographic exaggeration, I think. But there is enough time between now and January to iron out the kinks.

But doesn't it look nice? And somehow I don't think it and the Eindecker will be the only Great War releases in next year's catalogue.

Edited by T7 Models

Hopefully it's exagerated by sideways lightning, but it does look a little OTT, Presumably since release date is half a year away this is a test shot and they might accept some feedback, and (more importantly) be able to do something about it.

Paul.

ANY raised rib at all is exaggeration.

And if it's a test shot, the mould is already cut and no significant changes are likely. Now, if it was a 3D test print I'd hold out some hope of change but I don't imagine they test print it sprues and all

We can but hope. If it's just exaggerated it'll take less sandpaper

Shane

Photographic exaggeration, I think. But there is enough time between now and January to iron out the kinks.

But doesn't it look nice? And somehow I don't think it and the Eindecker will be the only Great War releases in next year's catalogue.

Not so sure: I think Airfix will first see how well they sell before embarking on further WW1 subjects.

ANY raised rib at all is exaggeration.

And if it's a test shot, the mould is already cut and no significant changes are likely. Now, if it was a 3D test print I'd hold out some hope of change but I don't imagine they test print it sprues and all

I've seen 3D prints of sprues before, but I think this is the real thing (3D print wouldn't give ejector pin marks)

• 5 months later...

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/boeing-bristol-blenheim-be2c-and-more/

Quote Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c

ImageK2.jpg

The magnificent box artwork adorning the Airfix BE2c release

Since this magnificent new model was announced in June this year, we have produced a number of articles featuring this interesting aircraft, which was the product of a nationalised aviation manufacturer. Workbench Edition 1 features the development of the BE2c, whilst Aerodrome 12 looks specifically at the VC winning aircraft, which was flown by William Leefe Robinson, in the home defence role, against the hated Zeppelin. The new Airfix catalogue includes both a Dogfight Double set, featuring the BE2c and the Eindecker, as well as the individual releases of both models. The decal options included with the Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c (A02101) are:

ImageL2.jpg

Livery and decal details for the new Airfix BE2c (Option 1)

Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c
Lt. William Leefe Robinson
No.39 (Home Defence) Squadron
Royal Flying Corps
Sutton’s Farm Airfield
Essex
2nd/3rd September 1916

This was the aircraft that Robinson used to famously destroy the German Schutte-Lanz SL.11 Airship on the evening of 2nd-3rd September 1916, which was the first British victory over the hated Airships. The feat earned Robinson the Victoria Cross and the admiration of the entire nation, elevating him to celebrity status overnight.

ImageM2.jpg

Livery and decal details for the new Airfix BE2c (Option 1)

Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c
Royal Naval Air Service
East Fortune Airfield
East Lothian
December 1916

This particular BE2c was fitted with ten Le Prieur rockets, which were attached to the outer wing struts of the aeroplane – these rockets were designed for use in the battle against the hated Zeppelin balloon menace. Unfortunately, the rockets proved to be rather ineffective against these silent night raiders, with the firing of them being much more visually impressive than operationally effective. They do help to tell the story of how Britain began to use aeroplanes as an effective home defence weapon and the first nightfighter operations.

V.P.

• Like 1