1/35 AS-90 Royal Horse Artillery Iraq 2003

Good evening all,

This is my latest finished build, I now firmly have the AFV bug, this is also my first finished project since my little boy came along, so it's been a bit slower than my normal pace, I think I might have it get used to not getting time at the bench...

I did start a WIP thread, but due to the arrival my updates petered out

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234981071-135-as-90-royal-horse-artillary-iraq-2003/page-2

The base kit is the not too bad Trumpeter kit, with the addition of some Eduard etch, Bison decals, metal barrel, and various accurate Armour add ons. I also made my own stowage covered in a tarp and the air recognition sheet, made to cover some over zealous chipping on the roof...

Overall I'm pretty pleased with this one, there aren't many pictures available of them in service so I used a fair bit of 'artistic license' for the weathering.

I finished the gun with the Ammo by Mig Jimminez paints, mainly the British Army sand colour which I think is a decent match. I also used various weathering products from AK and Ammo.

The base is just a cheap frame with sand and a few small stones applied and then painted.

The accurate armour ammo load set is just strewn about currently so I can play with it until I'm happy that it looks good.

On to the pics, which aren't the best as I'm still to set up a 'proper' studio.

image.jpg1_5.jpg

786c6ae8-03fc-4705-ad6f-9edbfc922e4a.jpg

image.jpg2_5.jpg

image.jpg8_1.jpg

image.jpg3_4.jpg

image.jpg6_1.jpg

image.jpg14.jpg

image.jpg9_1.jpg

image.jpg10.jpg

image.jpg11.jpg

image.jpg15.jpg

Edited by SaintsPhil
  • Like 17

Love it! The weathering is excellent. The chipping on the barrel, the carbon on the muzzle, the chipping around the cupolas and the staining, it all looks great.

Thanks! One of the other reasons I neglected the WIP thread was that I got 'lost' in the weathering process, I really enjoyed trying out a few new things. The few pictures I did find showed that the temporary sand finish was very temporary indeed, especially on the barrel! Not suprising I guess with the heat of firing on top of the desert sun

Looks fantastic.

But my inner Artillery man is coming out, there's a little more equipment husbandry with the ammo, they would be placed on a poncho.

Again fantastic Artillery piece

Ozzy

Looks fantastic.

But my inner Artillery man is coming out, there's a little more equipment husbandry with the ammo, they would be placed on a poncho.

Again fantastic Artillery piece

Ozzy

Funny you should say that as I assumed it would be bad practice to leave live ammo lying around in the sand, even at war. Having zero knowledge about proper practice however I thought it best to leave it and let someone in the know correct me. Might have to have a go at making a poncho or 2 now....

• Like 1

Nice build mate, chipping has turned out well fella.

I agree with what's been said about the ammo, a 155 shell proped against the tracks is one way

Of the crew commander 252ing a crew member or two. The Ammo would be placed in one area in a orderly way even in time of war.

These things are drilled into all crews for the safey of the vehicle and crew.

Regards

Dan

• Like 2

Nice job Phil - I know exactly what you mean about a young'un slowing down your modelling progress... don't think I've recovered yet and mine's five now! belated congratulations too ^_^

Nice job Phil - I know exactly what you mean about a young'un slowing down your modelling progress... don't think I've recovered yet and mine's five now! belated congratulations too ^_^

Thanks Mike, I'm getting more time at the bench than I expected, I get an hour or 2 once he goes to sleep in the evening, but I feel it will probably reduce as he gets older! I'll have to make do with building up the stash instead...

Nice work Phil...from a fellow recent AFV convert!

Cheers Andy, that Panzer GB has a lot to answer for....
  • Like 1

Nice build mate, chipping has turned out well fella.

I agree with what's been said about the ammo, a 155 shell proped against the tracks is one way

Of the crew commander 252ing a crew member or two. The Ammo would be placed in one area in a orderly way even in time of war.

These things are drilled into all crews for the safey of the vehicle and crew.

Regards

Dan

Yes, being an ex 3rd RHA gun bunny, this is bad drills, but you'd only get a 252 if you didn't have the No1 or even a SMIG knock seven colours of crap out of you first. Excellent model and great detail.

• Like 1