Supermarine Spiteful

Simon Cornes

Has anyone ever seen drawings or photographs of the location of the cannon barrels compared to the undercarriage leg pivot point. It looks to me as though one sits on top of the other? Mind you its a 20mm cannon, presumably through a tube, say 25mm diameter and the wing has got to be 6" or 7" thick, if not more, at that point so there's probably plenty of space? I have had a look on the internet and couldn't find a straight answer.

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon,

The Cannon barrel does in fact go through the undercarriage pivot point. The top of the leg is a 'drum' shape which is hollow to allow this.

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason/supermarine_attacker_f1/images/supermarine_attacker_f1_12_of_25.jpg

Graham

Many thanks Graham. Your lovely kit includes 4 spoke wheels which got me guessing as I know (some) late war fighters had 3 spoke wheels. Then I noticed that at least one Sea Fang had 3 spoke wheels so I now wonder if your forthcoming SF will have 3 or 4? I'm also not sure what your thoughts are on bulged wheels?

Thanks

Simon