Spitfire VB airfix

Hi all,

So this is my second RFI but my first WIP. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234979665-148-spitfire-vbmalta/

It's not my normal scale and my first try ant any sort of detail like this and scratch building (very tiny bit in the cockpit but it counts). The kit is the old tool airfix vb.... not the best kit in the world but it came out OK, I definitely learnt a lot (like buy the new tool one).

So the aircraft! Spit vb from malta flown by this chap

lynch-jj.jpg

Squadron leader johnny lynch, an American pilot who joined the Eagle squadrons then transfered to malta, after that he went on to fly in the USAAF. He was also given the accolade of malta's 1000th kill after a offensive patrol over sicily.

Few pictures of the ac:

lynch-spitfire.jpg

Lynchy.jpg

More information on the chap can be found here http://acesofww2.com/USA/aces/lynch/

So few bit with the ac, the letter codes are to far forward and the 'maltas 1000th' is way over sized, but I hand paint that and need a smaller paint brush! Letter codes were done using tape and I am happy with how they turned out apart from size and placement, ok for a first go. All painted with hairy stick and tamiya paints..... so I suppose it's on to the pictures. ....

20150701_183200_RichtoneHDR_zpsahdbb6ps.

20150701_183209_RichtoneHDR_zpschaevtjp.

20150701_183219_RichtoneHDR_zpsanljwbjt.

20150701_183229_RichtoneHDR_zpsz4tumqjk.

20150701_183251_RichtoneHDR_zpsey8hzfcq.

20150701_183304_RichtoneHDR_zpsw0s9qzpj.

20150701_183314_RichtoneHDR_zpsllpl7hwz.

20150701_183519_RichtoneHDR_zpshtcvhfbi.

20150701_183708_RichtoneHDR_zpsprdzx8bh.

So there she is... its blue.... I know there is lots of talk over colours of malta planes but this is also a strong possibility.

Weathering is a mix of enamels and pastals. I wanted it to look very well used as this reflects what the island went through, and is in line with the blow pictures.

img_0010.jpg

malta-spitfire-1942.jpg

All comments welcome!

Can I just say a last few points, big thanks to all who looked in on the wip it really helped! A massive thank you to Tony O'toole who gave me a lot of pointers and who's fantastic builds have inspired this.

Also I would like to dedicate this to malta and all that served on her and lived there during the war as with out them and their struggle the Med may have been a very different place!

Rob

• Like 20

Great WiP Rob and a great result - a good model of an interesting subject. Good job! :)

More to come, I hope!

• Like 1

Artist acrylic thinner, a little dab of that and it's really smooth.... and a nice flat brush! Cheers for the comment nick

Ced! cheers mate, yes got the tiffie on the go and loads to do for the BofB GB!

Cheers stevemk1!

Rob

• Like 1

Smashing! I'm after doing a couple of Malta Vb's, and this is some nice inspiration. What did you mix for the upper surface colour?

And I love this photo. Who says Spitfires were always pristine, cleaned, washed, scrubbed and polished at all times, and the paintwork was always flawless no matter how hard the fighting was?

Hi all,

img_0010.jpg

• Like 2

Well mitch! It is a base of tamiya flat blue, I then layered on the flat blue mixed with a few drops of tamiya EDSG and then tamiya royal grey in very thinned form.... final coat of flat blue with two dabs of tamiya rubber black. The reason behind all the different types of blue was to try and build up variation to give a weathered and rough look to the paint job. HTH! Loving your fulmar and looking forward to you malta builds.... wip?

Also you would be hard pressed to find many pictures of pristine AC's on malta in the early war years!!

Sean.... classic as ever...... i'm glad you like my dirty bird!

Cheers chaps

Rob

Edited by rob85

Well done Rob, the Spit looks great and I like the weathering, especially under the belly,

Looking forward to your next build,

All the best mate

Tony

• Like 1

Beautiful rendition of a dirty and battered Malta Spitfire. :clap: :clap: I knew almost nothing about them, so following your WIP was also educational; thanks for that! :thumbsup:

Ciao

PS: this Johnny Lynch chap looks a bit like a young Freddy Mercury (RIP), doesn't he? :lol:

Edited by giemme

Nice one Rob. Always interesting to have a background story too.

PS: this Johnny Lynch chap looks a bit like a young Freddy Mercury (RIP), doesn't he? :lol:

I didn't catch it at first, but a dead ringer for sure. Many moons ago, while working at The Atlanta Hilton, Queen was staying there. Two elderly housekeepers passing my desk to do the evening turn down service asked "Who is Queen?" Freddie Mercury was passing too, and looked at them and said "Well, I am". The housekeepers still had no idea who he was, but I enjoyed the moment.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 3

Nice one Rob. Always interesting to have a background story too.

I didn't catch it at first, but a dead ringer for sure. Many moons ago, while working at The Atlanta Hilton, Queen was staying there. Two elderly housekeepers passing my desk to do the evening turn down service asked "Who is Queen?" Freddie Mercury was passing too, and looked at them and said "Well, I am". The housekeepers still had no idea who he was, but I enjoyed the moment.

Cheers,

Mike

mike I am sometimes in awe of your life.... On the face of it you sound like you have had a cracking time, and this just adds to it!

Glad you like the model mate

Rob

Well done Rob, the Spit looks great and I like the weathering, especially under the belly,

Looking forward to your next build,

All the best mate

Tony

cheers Tony I'm glad you like it and your comments mean a lot as your detailed knowledge of Malta is as brilliant as the models you make!

Rob

Edited by rob85

Beautiful rendition of a dirty and battered Malta Spitfire. :clap: :clap: I knew almost nothing about them, so following your WIP was also educational; thanks for that! :thumbsup:

Ciao

he really does doesn't he! There's an abstract brain at work giemme...

Glad I could give us some knowledge and that you like the result! Malta is a fascinating subject and really worth looking into. There are so many amazing individual stories from that island that will blow your mind and so many great modelling subject! So if I have influenced you to peer closer that's great.

Also thanks to you and stix for all your brilliant work on your VB's as it really helped me with this!

Rob

• Like 1

Great effort, Rob! You managed to achieve a really battered look, just like the pictures of the real thing.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Greg, Jamie cheers I'm glad you like her! Sure she's seen some sun and a lot of action but that just adds to the experience!

Rob

One for you there ced

Thanks Rob... Susan George again, or the redhead version? Score 1, fnaar fnaar :)

• Like 1

Nice Spitfire with an unusual colour scheme. Some good photos too. Nice to read a bit of history about your Spitfire. Regards, Joe

• Like 1

Nice work Rob, I had thought I already replied to this congratulating you on your results, but apparently my reply didn't take and I'm left embarrassed!

Anyways, good job friend!

• Like 1

Nice work Rob, I had thought I already replied to this congratulating you on your results, but apparently my reply didn't take and I'm left embarrassed!

Anyways, good job friend!

no embarrassment mg! I regularly think I am upto date and realise I have missed a load... Also you have a bit on right now ya know!! Cheers for the post mate

Rob

• Like 1