Mercedes 500K-AK Cabriolet (Pocher)

I'm confused, if you got the side cover grilles from Marvin what engine side covers are you still fighting? I received an email from Marvin yesterday saying that my W/S posts are on their way back to me from being chrome plated. I can't wait to see them. One other thing on the posts and channel, and Codger warned me about this, make sure they are polished to as much of a shine as you can get. I thought I had but, apparently not enough because he charged me $31 to polish them. So, be warned they have to be polished to a high shine before being chromed.

I'm confused, if you got the side cover grilles from Marvin what engine side covers are you still fighting? I received an email from Marvin yesterday saying that my W/S posts are on their way back to me from being chrome plated. I can't wait to see them. One other thing on the posts and channel, and Codger warned me about this, make sure they are polished to as much of a shine as you can get. I thought I had but, apparently not enough because he charged me $31 to polish them. So, be warned they have to be polished to a high shine before being chromed.

I bought the metal grilles from Marvin as the kit Mesh doesn't give the correct "look". I am having trouble with the plastic panels that form the engine side covers. I have ordered a replacement set of the plastic parts (74711-41 and 74712-41) from Peter at Pocher Parts.

I hope this clears your confusion.

Keith.

Got it, take some pictures so we can see the problems even though you ordered replacements. It sounds like a warpage issue just by looking at a couple panels I have. It's just like everything else on these kits in order to get perfect fits you need to work and rework everything.

The bonnet/hood panels on my Rolls Phantom were awful!

Totally twisted. It took an age to get them into shape, as did the top panels.

Likewise the doors on my Alfa.

All part of the fun (did I say 'fun'?) of Pocher models.

Looking really great so far though.

Roy.

Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

Wayne, I have included some photo's below of the side panels.

Roy, Thanks very much for looking in, I think these are past manipulation now so a call to Peter has produced another set which I am awaiting delivery of.

Ok here is the next update for you.

The first two photo's show the Pocher windscreen surround, this is a nickel plated pressing which to be honest is rather rough in fit and finish.

IMG_5175.jpg

IMG_5174.jpg

The Next three photo's show the bronze windshield kit pillars supplied by Marvin at Model motor cars fitted to my Mercedes, this does require some fiddling to get correct but I think you will agree it is a great improvement over the original kit part.
I still have to manufacture and add the lower part of the frame that runs along the bulkhead between the pillars for the windscreen to fit into but so far I think the positioning looks good, I would like to read what you think too. You can also see in the photo's that I have temporarily added the dash board to aid the positioning of the pillars.
Once everything is positioned and I have soldered the driving lamps (not shown) to the Pillars, I will send the parts for chrome plating.

IMG_5162.jpg

IMG_5164.jpg

IMG_5163.jpg

Next We come onto the Hood and engine side panels, I have been trying to get these to fit for quite a while now and I am still not happy. Also Marvin supplied me with the etched panels for the engine covers which you can see here.
The engine side panels I have seem to have shrunk over time and also the rectangular cut outs have also deformed. I have been trying to correct this as you can see from the Plasticard I have added so far.

IMG_5168.jpg

Here are the engine panels misshapen ends

IMG_5173.jpg

Here you can see the deformed cut outs.

IMG_5172.jpg

I have ordered a second hand pair of side panels from Peter at Pocher Parts and I am awaiting delivery so I can hope fully put this section of the build to bed.

Best regards

Keith.

Wow, these really are in bad shape and are a little beyond being warped especially the right side panel that looks like a chunk is missing. If you had no other options, I suppose you could cut the end off and build a new one from heavy plastic card but, thankfully you won't have to do that. Those inserts look much better than the mesh in the kit and getting the aftermarket stuff is kind of like trying to eat just one potato chip, you can't do it, one demands another. Nice job fitting the posts, looks like you have them perfectly placed and you probably got them done a lot quicker than I did. Good work, keep it up and give us updates more often.

• Like 1

Hi Wayne, thanks for looking in.

Yes the side panels are pretty bad, but hope fully the set Peter is sending me will sort the problem.

The after market items from MMC are like little trinkets and as you say, once you have one you want more and more. I can't recommend these items highly enough to the Pocher builders on this site.

The wind screen posts took me about two hours to get fitted, I used the dimensions on the Koo DVD, to get a rough idea of where to position them, then just tweaked the final position using the dashboard before drilling the holes. I then cut an M2 thread on the studs and used nuts and washers to secure them in position.

Hope fully once the hood is sorted I will be able to progress this at a more steady pace.

Best Regards,

Keith.

• Like 1

I'm looking at the windscreen parts for my Merc build (eventually)

My plan is to boat-tail the car, and have all the bright-work gold plated (you can do it at home pretty cheaply)

I'm picking up tips and info from all these lovely builds.

Keep it coming.

Roy.

• Like 1

Yea, re-threading the post studs sure makes it easier to hold in place and position them doesn't it? Now that you have a way to hold the posts solid in place it makes it easier to do the channel. Mine was a bit different because the cowl and dash were different from Paul's instructions so, I had a little harder time lining things up. You will have to anneal the channel before you try to bend it otherwise it will be too hard to bend. Once I got mine bent right and the right length I drilled the hole for the W/S wiper in the channel and I also drilled two holes through the bottom of the channel to give me a way to bolt the channel down in the correct place when it came back from being chrome plated.

• Like 1

I also drilled two holes through the bottom of the channel to give me a way to bolt the channel down in the correct place when it came back from being chrome plated.

I'd suggest countersunk head 00-90 screws so the heads don't sit up and prevent your glass from sitting in the channel. I used the same in my door hinges.

• Like 1

I'm looking at the windscreen parts for my Merc build (eventually)

My plan is to boat-tail the car, and have all the bright-work gold plated (you can do it at home pretty cheaply)

I'm picking up tips and info from all these lovely builds.

Keep it coming.

Roy.

Thanks , for looking in Roy

I'm looking forward to seeing a boat tail version of this kit that will be superb.

Keith.

I'd suggest countersunk head 00-90 screws so the heads don't sit up and prevent your glass from sitting in the channel. I used the same in my door hinges.

Thanks for looking in Codger,

I'm looking into this, I plan to start the channels this week.

Does any one know a UK supplier for this type of fixing before I go trawling eBay for them?

Best Regards

Keith.

Good Evening Gentlemen,

Here is another small update.

Once again Peter (Pocher Parts) has come up trumps and I have now taken delivery of the new (to me) engine side panels, seen here in the red colour chosen by the previous owner. the fit of these is now much improved over the originals supplied with the kit as you can see here.

IMG_5190.jpg

I have also continued work on the windscreen frame upgrade. Brass U channel has been annealed to a blue colour to soften it, then it was cut to length and shaped to fit the form of the body on both sides between the windscreen pillars. this is to take the lower edges of the windscreen glass.
The driving lamps have also been dry fitted to check alignment.

IMG_5185.jpg

IMG_5193.jpg

Next up, will be to drill the mounting holes for the U channels and windscreen wipers, then the channels will be re hardened and polished ready for plating. Also the driving lamps will be soldered to the pillars and also polished and plated.

More soon.

Best Regards

Keith.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

Apologies for the long wait, but here is the next update for you.

I have now silver soldered all of the windscreen parts, they have now been polished and sent for chrome plating, this photo shows the windscreen pillar with the spot lamp soldered to it before polishing.

IMG_5216.jpg

After now what seems like an age I have completed all of the initial body fitting stages and was able to remove the body and all its associated parts so that I can now start work on the chassis again. The first step was to build up the front suspension and check the fit and alignment of all of the parts (there are many).
In the photo below you can see a brass tube across the top of the suspension mount, this was not part of the kit and was added by me to cover up the studding used to secure the top wishbone.

IMG_5222.jpg

Both sides fitted. in this photo the hubs are not connected to the steering arms (these aren't fitted yet) so they may look a little wayward.

IMG_5226.jpg

The rear axle assembly was also fitted to check alignment and fit.

IMG_5228.jpg

And finally the chassis as it stands so far.

IMG_5227.jpg

Next up will be to remove the front and rear suspension then paint the front suspension parts and the chassis ready for reassembly.

Best Regards

Keith.

Excellent work and soldering Keith. I am a little concerned about that corrosion in the light housing. I might try to Dremel that out because the plating will not stick to that. Maybe chat with Marvin about it.

Beautiful chassis fitment. Will look great in paint.

Excellent work and soldering Keith. I am a little concerned about that corrosion in the light housing. I might try to Dremel that out because the plating will not stick to that. Maybe chat with Marvin about it.

Beautiful chassis fitment. Will look great in paint.

Thanks very much Codger,

how strange in the photo that looks like rust, but the actual headlamp assembly has no rust in it at all. Perhaps it an effect caused by the camera flash.

I have already sent these parts to Marvin, so I'm sure he will let me know if they aren't suitable for the plating process.

I really need to find a plating service here in the UK that can do these small parts as I have some more items such as the radiator surround which I would like to have done.

Best Regards

Keith.

• Like 1

It gets discolored like that from the heat when you solder it and the inside of the lamp housings are a little rough to begin with. Really the only thing you need to worry about is the soldered joint and the C channel being smooth, the rest is good already. Looking good, I especially like the tube over the threaded rod on the A arm.

It gets discolored like that from the heat when you solder it and the inside of the lamp housings are a little rough to begin with. Really the only thing you need to worry about is the soldered joint and the C channel being smooth, the rest is good already. Looking good, I especially like the tube over the threaded rod on the A arm.

Thanks very much Wayne,

I have now dismantled the chassis ready for primer and paint, but it has been too wet here today.

Hope fully this will be done tomorrow.

Best Regards

Keith.

• 3 weeks later...

Good Evening Gentlemen,

Here is the next update.

The Chassis has now been painted and clear coated, this took a little longer than anticipated due to the weather and the size of the parts involved.
(I have had to use the flash today as it is particularly dark and grey here and the flash has picked out some of the metallics in the paint making it look odd in some photos)

IMG_5262.jpg

The Fuel Tank has been installed along with the rear Differential.

IMG_5278.jpg

The Front suspension has been added and the Front and rear hub back plates have been detailed and are now awaiting their brake pads and hubs.

IMG_5281.jpg

IMG_5280.jpg

The front suspension set up.

IMG_5274.jpg

The rear hub back plate and brake cable fixing point.

IMG_5277.jpg

Hand brake linkage and cable

IMG_5275.jpg

Master cylinder.

IMG_5279.jpg

Next up will be finish the rest of the brake parts and start fabricating the exhaust system.

Best Regards

Keith.

Edited by Mpfiend