RX-78-2 MEGA 1/48 Build

19115589628_84192cec9f_z.jpg

19278560991_0976186f0c_z.jpg

Finally got some paint on the MEGA 1/48 kit – so that it's not just all white. Some black pre-shading and then white over that. I then masked off a bunch of parts and sprayed various shades of gray. Followed that up w/ a layer of Future gloss and am working through the many decals now!

Speaking of decals... Does anybody have a sheet of the decals for this kit that they're not using? PLEASE!?!??!? I tore a few and it's going to drive me crazy if I don't find replacements. I'm building the "GFT" version of the Mega 1/48 kit. I would be more than happy to pay you for them if you're willing to send them my way! Thanks for reading and happy building to all.

• Like 1

I think PG's clock in at around 1/65 scale iirc. So this is probably quite a bit bigger.

Nice paintwork - what white did you use? Airbrushing white is the bane of my life lol, and its always my fav look on a mecha

I think PG's clock in at around 1/65 scale iirc. So this is probably quite a bit bigger.

Nice paintwork - what white did you use? Airbrushing white is the bane of my life lol, and its always my fav look on a mecha

I always thought it was 1/60 for a PG... but I have never built one, so I have no idea. :P I only asked as I make HG's and I know how big they are in relation to a MG and they in turn to a PG. Glad it's not just me that has problems with White then (dont get me started on yellow).

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• 1 month later...

Nice work. I've decided I'm going to pick up a 48th scale Zaku II some time later this year so I'll be watching with interest. I'll need to see if there's any resin hands for the thing though as looking at pictures of the Zaku I'm not sold on the kit ones. But as these kits are just scaled up HG kits that are at least 20 years old now the lack of fidelity isn't really a surprise.

• 3 years later...

Well, finished this one up a while ago but am finally getting around to updating my thread here. I enjoyed getting to be a bit heavy-handed with the weathering techniques. Toughest part of the build proved to be masking all the parts for their initial paint job. I used Mig Jimenez's "In Combat" book to guide me through the weathering steps.

31975192703_9fc3c58be3_h.jpg

32773222375_a8521a7b7d_h.jpg

Album on Flickr

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

WOW thats one beet up Gundam! He looks fantastic, would be great to see how big he is next to a real world object. 

@rockpopandchips – Thanks you! And yes, good call –  Here he is standing with my morning coffee, haha. Keeping guard over my morning fix.

47623581551_28ba0d2ed7_z.jpg

Album on Flickr

Edited by tacocat
Image too big