Avro Lancaster duo, 1/72

Hi

A return to one of last RAF machines from my shelfs: two Avro Lancaster. I was not lucky with them.... They are reletive young models. I was constructing them together doing some cross-kiting and reshaping. They are made of Airfix mould from 1980s and the Revell one. Two relatively rare variants: B Mk I Special and B MK II. I've just started work on them when a news apperad on Net about release of Airfix new tool Lancaster including B MK II. And I was already doing scratch work on Bristol engined version using Revell kit.... Disaster! I lost heart to making it for more than year. Finally I finshed them but having not taste of satisfaction almost at all....

The B MK II is mostly the Revell kit but with resin copies of Airfix wheels, Airfix wheel bays, aftermarket bulged bomb bay doors and the bottom turret (EDIT: by Paragon, a bit modified), two Airfix cookies bomb inside, rised outer parts of wings, scratch build engines based on Airfix Halifax's Hercules ones with Italeri Wellington propellers.(2 resin copies and two injected). Decals (lettering) by Techmod. Very dull red. Markings LL670, JI-K2, 514 Sqn with yellow fin bands, RAF Waterbeach:

lanc2 DSC04500lanc2 DSC04501lanc2 DSC04502lanc2 DSC04503lanc2 DSC04504lanc2 DSC04505

I would like one day replace exhaust pipes by some more accurate aftermarket ones. Can anybody suggest me some product here? I was searching and did not found anything else then the complete conversion set.

The Mk I Special is in markings of 617 Squadron YZ.C from March 1945, with high demarcation line and black (Night) undersurfaces. Revell engines with wheel bays and u/c with Airfix wheels, fronts of engines reshaped from Airfix (not Revell) with metal nets in cooler intakes (enlarged a bit compared to Airfix one - the same as I did in my York), paddle propellers from Revell:

lanc DSC04486lanc DSC04487lanc DSC04488lanc DSC04489lanc DSC04490lanc DSC04493

The Avro Lancaster family photo:

lanc family DSC04492

Mancherster (scratch conversion) and York (CMR conversion) were posted separately some months ago...

For the end additional cookie bomb (based on photo found in Net), of course hand painting:

lanc cookie DSC04507

Now I have found, that It is available as decal, but in 1/48:

http://www.kitsworld.co.uk/index.php?CATEGORY=5&SUB=6&THISPAGE=1&RADIOSORT=4&PICFILE=88&STKNR=88&STRH=3332&ORDN=2303&RNZ=298749

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 26

HI Jerzy!!!!

I have seen your nice Lancater couple and also enjoying all the fine job you did with them!!!

Both variants are very nicely chosen and rare, just the type of "one of a kind" a real good modeler want to do.

I have had the old Airfix very simple kit and one friend who wanted it badly as a collector item, offered many more thing in exchange and as i judged The Revell one was better I gave it to him, then after a very big lot of time after, I bought a reedition made by Revell Germany of the wonderful Revell Dambuster, and watched I didn't have been wrong; but after some more time, I went to the Revell dealer here and found a box that has the Lancaster with an Spitfire and a Hurricane......the price was very sugestive as has a very high discount and finally, after all the things I bough the box thinking the Lanc there was the old one....

AAhhhhh, SURPRISE!!! the one in the box with good companion was the new one with more than 200 parts and BTW, for me, a very intimidating kit with all that parts......

Hope one day can buy the Matchbox one, BTW for me a very elusive model, but looking at your work, trying to emulate the great job you did sounds too much high for a now not very experienced modeler as me......so first have to try small models and finish the P38....

I have taken note of all the things you did to each variant, and with all the resin copies of many goods for sure you have corrected many issues, and think that if that wonderful masterpieces are the results when you "Finally finshed them but having not taste of satisfaction almost at all.... " I was wondering how you work when you finish the kits with a huge lot of satisfaction......

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 1

A lovely collection of Lancasters Jerzy. The York looks very good. Regards, Joe

• Like 1

It must have Been gutting to do the work and then find airfix have released a new tool! However your conversion work is something to be really proud of and looks brilliant.

Cracking work

Rob

• Like 1

Quickboost do 'hedgehog' exhausts for the Beaufighter that could be good for your Lancaster.

Thank you Peter for this hint - I will try to buy them (2 of course :) )

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek