BBMF Lancaster

piggypod1

I want to make a model of the Avro Lancaster contained in the current Airfix BBMF set but the original aircraft as it was in 194445 not the aircraft flying now, is it just a matter of altering the serial codes or is more work involved, thanks

Do you mean that you want to build DV385 'Thumper III' of 617 Squadron or PA474 (the BBMF Lancaster) as she came off the production line?

The kit as it stands builds to wartime spec rather than the current specifications of PA474 (i.e. shrouded exhausts, smaller rear fins, earlier pattern wheels etc, etc) so the original Thumper III would essentially revolve around changing the codes and making sure you had the correct (as far as anyone can tell) details fitted which should be available in the kit. If you need new serials someone kind on here may well be able to supply them.

Hope that helps.

The present BBMF Thumper has an Airbus nosewheel on its tail so maybe watch out for that! The current a/c also has Lincoln fins which I believe were common on late production Lancs. Might not be accurate for the original Thumper.

They are fins from an Avro Lincoln but were also fitted to late build Lancasters, they were slightly taller than the standard Lancaster fins.

I don't think that's quite right. I have always thought the fins were the same as on the Lancaster but the rudders had a greater area, seen as a straightening of the lower profile. Glad to be proved wrong, though.

I don't think that's quite right. I have always thought the fins were the same as on the Lancaster but the rudders had a greater area, seen as a straightening of the lower profile. Glad to be proved wrong, though.

You may be right, I was working from memory whilst at work, my main aim was to advise piggypod1 that they were the fins from an Avro Lincoln, and that they were different from standard Lancaster fins.

Thanks for pointing out the error.

It's actually the rudder that's different, not the fixed fin. This pic from the late and much missed Ted Taylor shows how you convert a Lancaster unit.

13-lincoln-fins-construction.jpg

And Tom Probert did it in this thread:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967057-bbmfs-phantom-of-the-ruhr-decals-on/

the legs are lincoln as well, the main wheels are from the shack, radiaotrs also larger than the standard lanc ones

of course its not accurate to call them lincoln fins, wheels etc they were all fitted as standard by avro on late production lancs before the licoln was in production

Edited by PhantomBigStu