Stratospheric priced kits, or Holy Grails?

roymattblack

I posted this in another thread, but I'm wondering how many here remember monumental kits that can't be found now, even for mad money...?

There have been a few utterly incredible kits I've seen in the past that now don't even come up on a Google search:

1/8 scale wood/resin/metal Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - the movie car. I vaguely remember it being about £1000 and that was probably 10-15 years ago.

1/8 TV Batmobile kit. It wasn't that great, but WAS a good base for a superb model. It does pop up now and again - at funny-money.

1/4 scale Jaguar XJR9. I 'think' it was made by a company associated with Jaguar, as they made quite a few showroom display models and sold off the parts as a simple but HUGE kit.
It was BIG money.

Several classic Ferrari's at 1/6 scale. An Italian maker now vanished. I think he also did a Lambo Muira at 1/4 scale.

The HOLY GRAIL - (well, for me, anyway...) a 1/4 or 1/6 (can't remember which) Aston DBR1.

I remember it was kerbside, but flippin' awesome.

That one was about 5-6 years ago and was a monstrous £3,000!!!

I remember seeing it on Ebay - the seller had 5 of them.

Roy.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still raise an eyebrow when I think of the Airfix Vauxhall Victor estate that sold for £570 on Ebay!

Do wish they would re-release those kits!

Regards;
Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 1 year later...

Roy , the jaguar xjr-9  was not a kit , they where the actual windtunnel models from twr ,, the molds where owned by lesley thurston for a long time and he build a few to sell and  for the jdht , a few years  ago he sold all the molds and bits and pieces 

the current owner does not want to sell anything , sadly  , i know  because i asked him  ,

On 27/08/2016 at 12:58, fightersweep said:

I still raise an eyebrow when I think of the Airfix Vauxhall Victor estate that sold for £570 on Ebay!

Do wish they would re-release those kits!

Regards;
Steve

This must be a bargain then:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-AIRFIX-VICTOR-2000-ESTATE-1-32-NOS-Unmade-Bond-Bug-/352165480353?hash=item51feb2c7a1:g:02IAAOSwVZNTmeHS

Airfix Bond Bugs go for silly prices as well:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airfix-32-Scale-Bond-Bug-Complete-with-Decals-Paperwork-in-Original-Packet-/172885712396?hash=item2840ca9e0c:g:MCoAAOSwsvhZlqPV

Ridiculous is right!

I built both of these, from these same packages, when they were new kits. If I had known then....

I do like the e-Bay credit/HP deals to buy kits originally, probable 2/6!

Alan

• 5 months later...

On my Holy Grail list, and I know would be stratospheric in price if I could find one, is Profil24's Citroen BX 4TC, group B car.

Not that I'm particularly enamored with the car, but my group B collection has a rather glaring hole in it.

With all the top tier cars, some of the lower tier cars, (or the kits and decals to make them) and a lot of the group 4 transfer cars in 1/24 scale,

this one kit is a thorn in my side.

Like a lot of you, we can only hope that the manufacturers will reissue some of our favorites. citroen-bx-4tc-monte-carlo-1986.jpg