Dambuster 'T Tommy' Airfix 1/72

Hi Ced,

Sorry for being away from BM for a few days and not properly following the excellent work going on in your WIP. The interior detail is quite stunning! :goodjob:

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Good point about his head Stew, I was over-thinking.

Simon I have to say if anyone's over-thinking here it's the idiot who's trying to crew a 1/72 Dambuster!! :):shrug::fraidnot:

The operation seems to have been succesful. I hope you were wearing a (surgical ) mask. lol

Thanks John. No mask, no anaesthetic, but I did use a sharp blade! :)

Thanks Jaime, very kind (as always!) :)

This post has a PG rating - some violent scenes.

Second and final op. PC type entry required here:

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft*. Where be your gibes now? Your gambols? Your songs? Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?

Right. Off with his head!

9917F147-EFE4-4CA6-A16F-BD9692D9089B_zps

I decided to use one of the 'ground crew' heads as

a ) I don't do dioramas,

b ) it's the same plastic and may stick (fingers crossed),

c ) the 'Beard provided' pilots are more valuable to me than the polythene monsters and

d ) the necks were the same size.

Note that I had to remove the hand to get a good cut across the neck** so I've re-positioned that too after a ping (gaaaahhh!) and a lot of fiddling. I know, I know, but that's where it wanted to rest, honestly. No comment :whistle:

I also took the opportunity, whilst washing off the excess Gator's Grip, to cover the plastic in thin glue in the hope that the paint will stick. More fingers crossed.

I can now finally choose the other crew, attack them with the Molding Flash Sanders and, once Johnny's dry, start painting.

Yours cuttingly

Ced von Frankenstein

* Oy yoy! Fnaar fnaar.

​** Started feeling a little queasy typing this now. Wuss.

• Like 3

Thanks Simon, nice to have a source if I run out, so kind :)

Ah, Julian, the Blind Priest scene... Gene Hackman at his best. "Don't inhale until the tip glows", always good advice. :D

All sanded, cleaned up and primed with Ratskin Flesh:

F6EC9CAD-5194-4647-A082-BD75D59D50AD_zps

The two guys on the right are 'spares' and will be used in my Hurri and Spit for the BoB GB. Must get on with those!

• Like 5

The crew looks good so far. Will you you do the Lancaster inflight or taxing withe crew? Like the bomb aimer in his position. :goodjob: Did the tailgunner fit in the rear turret?

Cheers

P.S: Please forget my last post, as I don't know what I wanted to express exactly now. It's never such a good idea to post something on the internet after a long intense house party in the middle of the night. :oops::mental: For the next party I will put off the power connection on my computer. :bye:

• Like 1

Thanks bbudde! I'll be building wheels up and hanging it from the ceiling as usual... I know, I know, but the point is I like doing the interiors and I have the photos! :)

Haven't tried rear gunner mods, yet.

Ah, house parties... your post is forgotten, as requested. I think you did well actually, given the circumstances :)

• Like 1

I'm glad the surgery was a success, lot long before she's all buttoned up. Is there any chance she could be "grounded",

it's a shame not to be able to see all that detail through the windows without the use of a step ladder. A diorama perhaps,

Sean.

P.S....There are some who would make jokes about somebody getting head....but it won't be me..... no sir

• Like 1

Morning chaps!

Nice work on the crew Ced, Johnnie will add a lot of character to your build. :goodjob:

Thanks Julian - fingers crossed I can get the painting right :)

The figures are looking awesome Ced. You've even got a hold of some Stew Dapple approved Ratskin primer, nothing can stop you now!

Thanks Cookie! I've searched the net for a bottle of 'Stew skill' but to no avail. I'll just have to do my best (and put some vaseline on the camera lens to blur the results) :)

I'm glad the surgery was a success, lot long before she's all buttoned up. Is there any chance she could be "grounded",

it's a shame not to be able to see all that detail through the windows without the use of a step ladder. A diorama perhaps,

Sean.

P.S....There are some who would make jokes about somebody getting head....but it won't be me..... no sir

Hi Sean :) I know, but I don't have space (except on the ceiling) and I also have an anniversary Tornado that's ready to be built to 'fly' alongside. One of my rare journeys away from WWII Europe but I had to spend my Airfix club voucher on something! We'll know it's in there and we have the pictures. :)

Score 1 for your admirable restraint :D

Still thinking of an answer. Don't hold your breath.
I should think that the crew will be glad to have some proper seats to sit on. I know that pole sitting was popular in the 1920/30s but really......

Keep up the good work

John

Those are some of the tallest bar stools I have yet seen!

John apologies for missing the 'pole sitting' comment - Mike's post helped me 'get it', finally :)

Thanks Mike :) It's a tip Jaime passed on for mounting parts for painting / airbrushing by using CA on the eventual glue point (or other place that won't be visible). I'm using it a lot now rather than painting on the sprue as it avoids the need for touching up later and makes it much easier to handle the parts when painting*.

* For my fellow Dbl-E fans you know I don't usually avoid the chance of a bit of touching up and I love anything that makes handling your parts easier. Score 2, fnaar fnaar!

• Like 2

Ced..... I'm sorry I forgot to take a pic due to pressure from the good lady to focus on packing! I can take one when I'm back Friday evening? But looking at it it may be too late

Rob

• Like 1

No worries Rob, I think we're crewed up! Your priorities are correct, have a good time :)

Following Stew's great step by step the next thing to do is to wash the crew's faces. I cut off a very small piece of flannel and... just kidding! I've applied the Citadel Wash 'Reikland Fleshshade' and tidied up Johnny a bit:

3F085097-3D16-4505-8AD0-83EFDC53E4EE_zps4C5C28CF-4B02-47E0-908D-DA1AC8CB9A3B_zps

Wow, that stuff's really good! Chap on the right's looking a bit grumpy, possibly because his hands have melted and he can't amuse himself like his chum. I think he may be the Nav then. Johnny's also had another coat of Gator's thin as the leather paint was peeling off the base. And I've glued his hand back on after a knock :(

Next step is a "dry-brush of Citadel 'Bestigor Flesh' - mostly dry-brushed downward to preserve the 'shadows' but with a couple of horizontal swipes across the forehead and cheekbones". At this stage I will thank Mr Dapple most sincerely and stop quoting him as I'm bound to let him down and I don't want his instructions, rather than my lack of skill, blamed for the results!! Thanks Stew :D

• Like 7

Might it be an idea to use a bit of Miliput to make a Mae West for the bomb aimer. Sorry, I only just noticed it myself.

Martin

• Like 3

Might it be an idea to use a bit of Miliput to make a Mae West for the bomb aimer. Sorry, I only just noticed it myself.

Martin

Ooh Martin, I'm not sure I have the skills for one of these:

mae-west-420920l-214x0-wtm-a2162274.jpg

and I certainly don't think 'a bit of milliputt' would be enough. Actually I don't have any putty at the moment :hmmm:

The scar on the bomb aimer's neck looks like a scarf.

I can imagine you making a miniature life vest now.

Hi Beard. Oh a life vest Mae West... that should be easier (if not as much fun!) :)

When I bought the first lot of Citadel paints the guy on the shop said 'Need any putty?'. I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it* so "No thanks" said I. Dumb, my crystal ball obviously wasn't working (the other one is standard, fnaar fnaar).

Well, anything worth doing is worth doing slowly* so I'm afraid you guys will have to wait until I get my hands on some mouldable putty tomorrow - sorry. I looked at Milliput as well but I read on BM it doesn't stick as well - between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before*.

I'll then try to fashion a life vest. I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it*.

* Mae West quote. What a gal! “I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.” More quotes here.

• Like 4

I knew we would get Ced scratch building and detailing, by hook or by crook. No more Mr OOB!

Well yes, but most of us end up scratch building parts of aeroplane; Ced seems to be scratch building tiny people, which is faintly weird!

• Like 4

Well yes, but most of us end up scratch building parts of aeroplane; Ced seems to be scratch building tiny people, which is faintly weird!

It's all fine until he starts giving them na--oh what's that? Oh dear.

Oh dear.

• Like 5

Good heavens - all this fuss to get some people ready for a flight to Germany. I've done it bags of times and came to no harm. Mind you, had one close call - settling into the back of a Pan Am 747 for the London - Frankfurt hop, two American army wives with a herd of children between them, all running hither and yon, came to the row behind me and asked "Do you speak English?" Without even a blush I stared right into her eyes and replied "Leider nicht"

Happy to report an uneventful flight.

• Like 4