Dambuster 'T Tommy' Airfix 1/72

Bring on the Bernas!

Thanks John - I'm sure they'll be out soon!

I found the lining up of the main fuselage a challenge but some clamping and a touch of filler shout sort it

Rob

Thanks Rob. After the Valoms this will be a doddle... famous last words :)

Ced, I would recommend a step by step approach to glueing the fuselage halves. Just do it in small stretches, making sure everything keeps aligned. I always do it, even when there's no warping, as it allows better control and less sanding and filling later. I've done it recently with one of my British Phantoms that had a serious fuselage warp and it resulted very well (you can take a look here)

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime, great tip :)

Warping fnar fnar, see a Dr about that.

I would go with JRLX`s idea and close up gradually, pain that is.

Looking good on the inside though Ced.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simon.

Thanks Simon, score 1!

The return of the son of the " unbuildable Bucc"..........Use Tamiya liquid cement or the Gunze liquid cement making use of the capillary action.Should work out all right if you go section by section, (capillary isn't as vulgar as it sounds so no score and no fnaar fnaar).

It'll be out with the Tamiya Extra Thin - one of my favourite tools!

I like the bit by bit fuselage close too. With airliners, I start with the pointy bit, and work back, the tail area affording more surface for vicious clamps and aggressive sanding as the need arises.

Thanks Mike - I'm hoping to avoid aggressive sanding - fingers crossed!

I was going to say something about the way you were clenching your bottom(fnaar fnnaar), but after my previous post i don't think I'll

bother

027167D3-61AA-47B2-9788-B033AC7BA6FB_zps

Needless to say.. I was never confused...

Sean

Oh aye, things should move on at pace now, once the the interior is coming together. :thumbsup:

Thanks Sean - score 1, fnaar fnaar! :)

After making sure everything fits OK and assembling the table etc my next step is to select the crew! Maybe tomorrow?

• Like 2

Went shopping with Mrs B today and out with the neighbours tonight so not much to report.

I have glued one set of windows in to try out the Gator grip glue, which will save me mixing up rapid epoxy if it's strong enough:

8604E6E4-8169-498B-BC8B-E65C9EE69E86_zps

I also saw a Game Workshop shop and bought these:

6F523FC2-7FB8-4083-A3F0-804C29A1968C_zps

Now I'll be able to paint crew figures like Stew - aha ha ha ha! What? You need skill too? Well, where can I buy that??!! :D

• Like 2

Skill is never for sale as you know, but talent on the other hand, often seen it listed on eBay. With shipping, it gets pricey though.

• Like 2

Skill is never for sale as you know, but talent on the other hand, often seen it listed on eBay. With shipping, it gets pricey though.

Thanks Mike :)

But whatever you do or did to this one. Give her a kiss, and put it straight up to the point, where she has to decide, how this one is supposed to be finished? Or not? I'don't know. :confused::bye:

Hi bbudde! Not sure that translated well? Sorry :confused::)

The Gator Grip did work, of course (thanks for the recommendation guys) so the rest of the windows have gone in:

51695BD8-E29A-44EE-8729-68950997E5E7_zps

Carefully removed parts from the sprue with the razor saw, remembering Paul from Modelling Tools advice not to press, "Just move to and fro and let it do its work". Great tool, no worries about stress marks and gives a nice close cut. This is actually my 'general use' one - I keep the JLC for 'special jobs'. Not sure why. :hmmm:

Make sure the part fits OK and is the right way around, especially the small windows at the front (fiddly), using the sticky stick.

Apply glue to the fuselage and press in the part, making sure the windows on the outside are flush (after my Bombay issues*).

Remove excess with wet brush, wick away water with paper towel.

Done! Great stuff and recommended.

Lawn mowing duties today but hopefully more later when that glue has dried.

* WiP here. What a long thread! Reviewing that this morning looking for pics of the crooked windows I saw the problems I had with the PE levers. Completely erased from my memory, obviously. Some people never learn! :)

• Like 3

I think the PE levers memory loss was the result of suppressed trauma or whatever they call it :D

Looking good Ced, mind those windows though - Gator's Grip gets stronger as it cures but can sometimes be a little delicate until it does.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Thanks Stew. PPESS - Post PE Stress Syndome? :)

In readiness for fitting the floor and bearing in mind the Airfix new tool tolerances I cleaned (most of) the paint off where the floor fits. I also decided, in the absence of other evidence, that the bombsight would probably have been left behind but the bracket would have stayed so I chopped off the unpainted sight, shown here, from the bracket.

358ACC7A-96EB-4D96-9AB2-C75FA5442EC4_zps34637BA7-51D4-415B-B431-4327F10AE2E5_zps

Another test fit showed that the end of the bomb bay only fitted if the fuselage was pulled slightly downwards (red arrow) so on with the Berna clamps to make sure nothing else moves, fit the bay end and on with the Tamiya Extra Thin:

B133F7E1-250A-4314-A960-E6DD183A49C3_zps

A quick shot of Johnny's office showing the PE and manual panel details then bracket stuck in, carefully - it fits in a hole under the window and a step / protrusion on the fuselage that's hard to see. Then it was in with the W/Op table and chair, left swivelled out so he can be fitted and chat to Joe during the flight:

4C5E86AA-A526-4F58-9FFC-10C8907EBC7E_zps6A693E23-BFD0-4573-837D-FFB516262D4F_zps

• Like 12

Thanks Stew!

Test fit for the crew is my next job, after applying the transfers to the seat and table. I'll post some pics hopefully tomorrow... I'd like to get Johnny in his office but even that is looking tight! :hmmm:

Put him on a diet then Ced...

Some nice work done Ced.

Looking forward to see how the rest of the crew fit.

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Simon.

Thanks Simon - crew auditions below!

Little melted ghee will sort that out.

Thanks PC! (Other lubricants are available) :)

How many Red Arrows can you get in a Lancaster bomb bay?

I don't know, how many Red Arrows can you get in a Lancaster bomb bay? (Set yourself up for that John - I await the punchline with anticipation!!) :D

ooh aah!

Looking spot on Ced.

Cheers

Thanks Bruce!

Very nice work Ced. I will post a pic of the cat crew so you can see if they help

Rob

Cheers Rob... that'd be great! If you could take a picture with a rule I can measure up and see if I should delay (see below) :)

Enough of this analysis paralysis... I've nothing left to do before close up except fit the crew... As Stew asks, "will they fit". Hmmm. As Frank Drebin would say, "Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through." (One for you Sean!)

Here are the candidates waiting nervously, but very patiently, for their auditions.

D79DC519-4678-4970-A2E4-C63BA0693CCC_zps

Simon's kindly donated chaps arrived on the 10th (pity this isn't a BoB build) so about time I got going. Note that none have been cleaned up yet so ignore the flash in the pictures below. From the left:

• chubby bloke with his legs open
  • Hands in lap flat face (I have another of these in my BoB Hurricane)
  • Defiant one hander (fnaar fnaar)
  • Defiant pilot
  • Another Hands in lap flat face
  • Two skinny blokes like the supplied pilot but with flat backs and
  • Supplied kit pilot.

I have Stew's painting instructions and the paint. No excuse, get on with it!! To recap, the crew are:

1. Pilot - Flt. Lt. Joseph Charles McCarthy RCAF
  2. Nav - FO Donald Arthur MacLean RCAF
  3. Bomb Aimer - Sgt. George Leonard Johnston
  4. Flight Engineer - Sgt. William Radcliffe
  5. Wireless Op - Flt. Sgt. Leonard Eaton
  6. Front Gunner - Sgt. Ronald Batson and
  7. Rear Gunner - FO David Rodger RCAF
So on with the auditions / fit tests.

1. Joe the pilot: Any figure will fit in Joe's seat as there's plenty of room.

2. Donald the Nav:

309AFC52-4664-4B98-AACD-0B974C2875B1_zps

Note that map is of the channel when you look close up - don't instal it upside down! Not entirely sure that is the Dambusters route though. Expecting too much?

3. Bomb Aimer Johnny Johnson. He's the reason for all this effort. And he should be prone (ish) in his office at the front. Airfix Aircrew set examined, prone figure selected. Chopped his pipe off (ooh, nasty), trimmed base to represent Johnny's bed (mentioned by him) and trimmed off flash. I'm hoping his head will poke out of the bomb aimers window, or at least he'll be resting his hand on it:

A939151B-E4F8-43E4-932E-C645DEEB8483_zps3EE81330-C244-4725-AD66-36E12724AAEC_zps

The H62 went straight on to test adhesion. More tests later. Look as though he should have a snooker / pool cue in his hand. :hmmm:

4. Flight Engineer: Any figure will fit here so I'll choose one that's different to Joe

3D7FD3B8-3D40-4DA8-89B2-02F0F4A9CFBC_zps

5. Wireless Op - Len Eaton: No seat for him. No seats in my stash. Perhaps he's on the Elsan?

6. Front Gunner - Ron Batson goes here:

F70585D9-5472-4D4C-89F8-49B589B111D5_zps

Johnny says his legs dangled into his office. OK for real people but what about 'not quite to scale' figures that can't move their legs? More tests required.

7. Rear Gunner - Dave 'Drop the Bl**dy Thing' Rodger

900512AC-65CD-48E3-9BDD-ECB958ECAE6A_zps

He's held in front of the assembled part there and it looks as though he'd fit, but there's no room for his legs below the knee. I could drill out the turret floor and gun support, or we could apply the Airfix BV joke - I'm sure Bruce (joke in his thread) won't mind but poor, poor Dave. He deserves better after that soaking at the Sorpe.

I'm in several minds about this (two is not enough). We're on page 10 and still not closed up... OK, OK, I know, a normal Ced rambling thread and I always enjoy the craic, but I must progress. Soon. Perhaps just a bit more pondering...

• Like 8

It might be worth having a go at adding the hand held bomb aiming device to the bomb aimer. It would certainly add something a bit different to the finished model.

Martin

• Like 1

Well Ced, what with cutting some ones pipe off, and one on the Elsan, I am not sure what score that gets.

There is going to be some very fine adjusting here and there to get the right fit.

Looking good though.

Simon.

• Like 1

Good to see my blokes being gainfully employed.

I reckon if you cut Johnny Johnson's right arm off and take a small amount of plastic off, his arm will move to a more natural position.

Also, how about replacing his head with one of the spare pilots?

Edited by Beard
  • Like 2

It might be worth having a go at adding the hand held bomb aiming device to the bomb aimer. It would certainly add something a bit different to the finished model.

Martin

Thanks Martin. That would be an option if Johnny hadn't forgotten to take his bombsight on the raid! (In his book) :)

Well Ced, what with cutting some ones pipe off, and one on the Elsan, I am not sure what score that gets.

There is going to be some very fine adjusting here and there to get the right fit.

Looking good though.

Simon.

Thanks Simon! I avoided scoring... even I have my limits... no, really, I do :)

Good to see my blokes being gainfully employed.

I reckon if you cut Johnny Johnson's right arm off and take a small amount of plastic off, his arm will move to a more natural position.

Also, how about replacing his head with one of the spare pilots?

Thanks again Simon - couldn't have done it without your kindness :)

That said, your suggestion is, er, interesting? Challenge accepted and I shall take out a new Swann Morton. I think I'll use a pilot head from one of the ground crew set though - is that what you meant? I'll need to be very careful though - I don't want him to be Abby Normal :D

There's always a spare figure if the arm move goes wrong.

I'd use one of the heads from one of the pilots I sent you (the Aitfix RAF standing and running pilots may be useful elsewhere),if you drill a small hole in the head and body you should be able to insert a piece of (very) thin brass rod to secure it (I can't think of a suitable glue).

Does that make sense?

• Like 1

I say that's looking rather fine Ced B)

I like the idea of the full crew too, but will the 'gunners' actually fit in the turrets?

Cheers,

Stew

Hey.. I didn't realise these chaps played for the Arsenal.... :coolio:

3EE81330-C244-4725-AD66-36E12724AAEC_zps

(Look as though he should have a snooker / pool cue in his hand. :hmmm:)

Are you sure that's not Joe Johnson? :winkgrin:

All joking aside, this is a great wip, lots of great ideas coming from the guys, this could your

"pisse der rersistence", as they say in France,

Sean

Thanks for the tea all over the keyboard, wasn't expecting a personal name drop and quote :thumbsup:

• Like 2

There's always a spare figure if the arm move goes wrong.

I'd use one of the heads from one of the pilots I sent you (the Aitfix RAF standing and running pilots may be useful elsewhere),if you drill a small hole in the head and body you should be able to insert a piece of (very) thin brass rod to secure it (I can't think of a suitable glue).

Does that make sense?

Excellent idea about the replacement head Simon, but Ced - I wouldn't bother with a metal pin, just stick it on with a dab of gel superglue, or Gator's Grip - it's not like the head is going to have to support anything other than its own weight and it will be enclosed inside the aircraft so not in any danger of being knocked off :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Excellent idea about the replacement head Simon, but Ced - I wouldn't bother with a metal pin, just stick it on with a dab of gel superglue, or Gator's Grip - it's not like the head is going to have to support anything other than its own weight and it will be enclosed inside the aircraft so not in any danger of being knocked off :)

Cheers,

Stew

Good point about his head Stew, I was over-thinking.

• Like 1

Still thinking of an answer. Don't hold your breath.

I should think that the crew will be glad to have some proper seats to sit on. I know that pole sitting was popular in the 1920/30s but really......

Keep up the good work

John

• Like 1

Thanks Stew, Simon and John :)

Sean glad you liked the FD quote, more to come, but carefully placed :)

Talking of carefully placed (see what I did there?) Johnny had his first op[eration] this morning. Here's the patient before the op:

901B117D-987C-4A4B-945A-151681524FBE_zps

Yellow ball in the back pocket (fnaar fnaar). Nice to see that the H62 (leather) is 'self weathering'... as far as I know he's not been handled. Hmmm. After trying a 'V cut' under the arm pit the plastic refused to bend so I'm afraid it's got to come off:

BA292ACF-5ED0-4D47-8E68-712B22346D1C_zps

Gulp. Flattened off the joints with a new 10A then out with the Gator's Grip (thanks Stew) and re-attachment:

1F2DAF7A-A839-4B2C-AEBF-CA57E5B9987B_zps

Better. I shall remove the head (double gulp) after work and I may turn the other hand over. Maybe.

• Like 2