Dambuster 'T Tommy' Airfix 1/72

Thanks Simon, Rob, Martin and Jaime - getting there I hope!

Hi CedB, am catching up with this thread and build, getting some great pointers for when I get to build mine. You mentioned that the front gunners legs dangled. In the film it is covered by creating some stirrups, presume like horse riding ones, to keep them clear. Am guessing you've given poor Ronald a double amputation by now

Hi Mutley, welcome! Surgery has been suspended for a while and Stew has recently bent the legs on one of his Stuka pilots so I'm pondering. Perhaps I should watch the film again? Now there's an idea!!

A small update. I've cut the wings off the sprue and, as I'm building wheels up as usual and won't 'need' the wheel well detail, I'm going to test Andy's idea of building and painting the wings separately and sliding them on later. What? Was that sucking of breath I heard? Well, nothing ventured...

The Berna clamps did turn out to be impervious to glue (good news) but capillary action has drawn some extra thin onto the body (bad news):

E2885D9D-B0D4-4961-83F5-7BFC7AF672DA_zpsCCC0FA28-3278-4FEA-B103-B0B1B3FCBDF1_zps

Nothing that a bit of sanding won't remove.

The joins turned out OKish but I have my usual tiny step. I've done an initial sanding to remove sprue bumps and other bits but I don't wan't to flatten the profile so I need to fill the step. I'm not sure why I get this - I'd prefer a gap - so in the absence of 'Mr Hobby Fill and Auto-sand' I've tried Stew's recommended Citadel liquid green stuff on the top and Mr Dissolved Putty on the bottom:

99B1C0D1-3653-40F9-B6A9-DB8CD2AA97D6_zps8448AED5-B3F8-41EA-AB36-6E791E9CC601_zps

I think the green stuff benefits from being water-based so you can (I hope) run a damp brush over the stuff and level it better - we shall see tomorrow when I come to sand it off.

• Like 5

Ok so I am very late to join the progress on this one, but it does look interesting so if you don't mind I shall pull up a chair and sit quietly in the back and try not to disturb with the sound of munching :popcorn:

Very nice work so far!

Bob

• Like 1

That's what I call progress Ced!

I'm sure you'll sort out the sanding in no time.

Have you tried Perfect Plastic Putty? I'm using it more and more, and since it's waterbased, it smooths easily not to mention that you can wipe it off with a damp cotton bud.

Drying time is very fast as well.

• Like 1

I am interested to see how you get on with that Citadel stuff. There is a Games Workshop that has recently opened about half a mile from where I live and I have thought about trying some of the stuff.

Martin

• Like 1

Ok so I am very late to join the progress on this one, but it does look interesting so if you don't mind I shall pull up a chair and sit quietly in the back and try not to disturb with the sound of munching :popcorn:

Very nice work so far!

Bob

Thanks Bob and welcome! :)

Making excellent progress Ced, the gaps will work out fine I am certain :winkgrin:

Thanks Julian - see below!

That's what I call progress Ced!

I'm sure you'll sort out the sanding in no time.

Have you tried Perfect Plastic Putty? I'm using it more and more, and since it's waterbased, it smooths easily not to mention that you can wipe it off with a damp cotton bud.

Drying time is very fast as well.

Thanks Christer. I have a tube of PPP that I'm waiting to open after the Vallejo is used up - by which time it will probably have dried up! :hmmm:

Perhaps I should get it out and give it a try! *

I am interested to see how you get on with that Citadel stuff. There is a Games Workshop that has recently opened about half a mile from where I live and I have thought about trying some of the stuff.

Martin

Thanks Martin. I've crept into Games Workshop a few times of late to pick up the Citadel colours for Stew's pilot painting and both types of Green stuff (two part and liquid). The paints are great and it looks like the Green stuff is a good buy too. Just be aware that the average age of the staff, and customers, is probably around 20! :)

It will be good to see how this turns out.... I feel very hopeful ced. Nice work

Rob

Thanks Rob - wait no longer!

I was out yesterday but had some time today to sand down the joins. Both fillers seem to have done their job well and, after a bit of wet sanding, the joins now pass the Stew fingernail test. Note that the Mr Dissolved Putty seems to dry clear(ish):

BF4806D8-DC82-4D00-8407-761CBB4D477B_zps6D6BEA93-E33A-45D3-9C3F-EBBDEB568B0A_zps

We shall hope that they don't reappear on painting!

Next job is masking the clear and applying the canopies. Oh, and fitting Johnny. I may be gone some time...

* Dbl-E, score 1, fnaar fnaar

• Like 10

Thanks Simon :)

The next window to fit was the lower bomb aimer's as Johnny needs to 'sit' over this. I know Andy S had problems with his so I was a bit wary... it's a very tight fit side to side and needed fine trimming but the little lugs stop it fitting into the body:

92303FDE-70B8-4652-B513-06E82A354DC0_zpsE23AF0F5-13D3-45ED-80F1-5FB5301EDBD6_zps

Chop 'em off? Why are they there? It's not a 'proud' window is it? :hmmm:

• Like 3

Don't worry chaps - I've chopped 'em off and now the window fits really well. Just letting the Glue and Glaze dry then I'll fit Johnny and post some more pics.

• Like 2

I think you a clear* choice there. You can either cut off the lugs and hope the glue holds the window or, you can stick it in* sand it until it's flush with fuselage and then polish it up.

*1 sorry about the pun.

*2 does that warrant a Dbl-E score?

• Like 1

Thanks Simon! Love the pun, score 1 for the Dbl-E, fnaar fnaar :)

Cutting off the lugs done - the clear part is half window, half panel, so sanding would have lost that detail. It can be seen in these pictures:

4B1CF278-6EFA-4DE1-AE61-C1F18AA7E1C0_zpsAB9BCB67-2F5F-43F4-9E72-62EB338CCDF6_zps

Yes he's in! I'm not convinced he'll stay put as the only thing holding him in is Gator grip thin (you can see it in the window - it dries clear, I hope). His helmet has also had some of the paint rubbed off* so that'll need touching up*. And yes, I have checked that the dome will fit over his head. Several times. And just checked again.

Remember the final bit of PE that needs fixing over the i/p? No, neither did I. So I have a cunning plan to make sure I don't forget to fit it before I fit the canopy:

2B28288E-4E33-4B8E-B0EC-E4E42754FE66_zps

So when I ask you "Why did I write 'panel' on the canopy" please remind me... it's me age!

* No! Even I think that's going too far!!

• Like 13

Looks good so far. :goodjob: Will he get the complex, hard to handle wooden Y bombsight? I dont know, if they used one on the Sorpe attack as they flew alongside the dam.

Is it possible to put Preiser 1.87 bodies for the turret places? They are smaller and should fit better. Maybe they look a bit leptosome but better than limb amputated :poo:

• Like 1

Have you dry fitted the bomb aimer's bubble yet Ced. Looks from the photos that there may be a slight conflict between the bubble and Johnnie's bonce. Hope I am wrong though.

The seams worked out beautifully, a coat of paint and they are completely gone :goodjob:

• Like 1

Thanks bbudde and Martin. He won't have a hand-made bombsight because, luckily for me, Johnny says in his book (bottom of the post) that it wasn't needed for the Sorpe attack and he forgot to take it with him. :)

Thanks Julian for the concern but I've checked it lots of times (and then more times again) but I don't want you to worry so stuck it on with a bit of tak:

104CFAE2-E1B3-47E2-8A25-5927570378B5_zps

I need to mask it before fixing properly and I'm off for a weekend away tomorrow so I don't think this will be until next week, unless I can squeeze in a few minutes...

• Like 5

Thanks bbudde and Martin. He won't have a hand-made bombsight because, luckily for me, Johnny says in his book (bottom of the post) that it wasn't needed for the Sorpe attack and he forgot to take it with him. :)

Thanks Julian for the concern but I've checked it lots of times (and then more times again) but I don't want you to worry so stuck it on with a bit of tak:

104CFAE2-E1B3-47E2-8A25-5927570378B5_zps

I need to mask it before fixing properly and I'm off for a weekend away tomorrow so I don't think this will be until next week, unless I can squeeze in a few minutes...

Thanks mate, had me worried there but the fit is beautiful :yahoo::thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks guys! :)

I'm off after lunch to a 60th birthday party in Oxfordshire (oh no, not another one) so no more modelling for a few days - thanks for looking.

Thanks Simon :)

Back in time to get some masking done. The instructions aren't too clear so I had to take off one of the outer parts and realign so that the four parts went around the outside, obviously, then filled the gap with masking fluid:

7D9428EA-E6DC-4EAC-AD97-59161938675E_zps03FD8EFD-E1BC-4262-9443-AE98942EFC69_zps

As usual I see a problem when posting the photos - that bit of masking fluid will be pushed away!!

• Like 3

Hope you enjoyed your weekend away.That masking liquid looks really gloopy, have you removed any from clear parts yet? I seem to remember that Maskol could discolour canopys if left on too long. Sneaking some time off at the moment while SWMBO is at a french lesson ( no d/e intended )? While the cat's away etc.

John

• Like 1

Nice weekend, thanks John :)

Will the masking discolour the clear? I don't know!! It's Mr masking Sol and your comment has made me panic a bit, so I started assembling the rest so I can get painting done and remove the mask ASAP. Nose on:

10D639C5-6B12-4590-B374-EABBBEC25DA4_zps

Remember the small panel? Jonny provided me a link to this reference shot so I've stuck it in as close as possible to that:

6845055F-8ACB-4383-9513-795D03D85CFE_zps882D033F-8F8F-4F51-AB65-0A1AF066D66B_zps

Can it be seen when the canopy's on?

5CC65901-20B7-4DF8-A0E3-066EA560524E_zpsC2497AF0-B733-47F2-8F34-4DC58CF0CCCE_zps

Oh well, we know it's there.

There's an enormous amount of clear to mask and I'm intolerant this morning so I've stopped there before I break something! Fingers crossed the mask comes off... it may be some time!

• Like 5