Dambuster 'T Tommy' Airfix 1/72

Morning all!

I knew we would get Ced scratch building and detailing, by hook or by crook. No more Mr OOB!

Hi Jon - don't bet on it! OOB protects me from the rivet counters! That said I am enjoying messing around with this one. As Mae would say "I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure." :)

Well yes, but most of us end up scratch building parts of aeroplane; Ced seems to be scratch building tiny people, which is faintly weird!

Ah Crisp, scratch building parts of aeroplane is OK for some, but scratch building tiny people is... better leave it there! :)

It's all fine until he starts giving them na--oh what's that? Oh dear.

Oh dear.

Hi PC! It's OK, I didn't give them their names... I just chose the figures and decided who was who... and then... oh dear.

Probably could just paint some yellow where the vest would be.

Depends on how much you can see him in his position.

Thanks Phil, good idea. A sane man would take your advice but now the seed has been planted I can't resist the draw of Green Stuff. It'll be my first time so I want it to be right... As Mae would say “If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” :)

Good heavens - all this fuss to get some people ready for a flight to Germany. I've done it bags of times and came to no harm. Mind you, had one close call - settling into the back of a Pan Am 747 for the London - Frankfurt hop, two American army wives with a herd of children between them, all running hither and yon, came to the row behind me and asked "Do you speak English?" Without even a blush I stared right into her eyes and replied "Leider nicht"

Happy to report an uneventful flight.

Hey Mike! Now, you see, if it's just 'some people' it does seem to be a fuss... but if it's the crew of T Tommy, one of the Dambusters and the steed of 'the Last British Dambuster' who I've seen speak and had a book signed for Egbert and everything... not convincing myself, actually :)

I do love your stories. "Leider nicht"... "Love the night"? No, wait, "I'm not a manager"? Rats... German was never my best language. Google translate to the rescue... "Unfortunately not"! Classic... :)

I watched some 'how to use Green Stuff' videos on YouTube last might. Preparation is everything. I even thought "Hmmm, maybe I could make a seat for the wireless op and then I'd have the set" but sanity (of a sort) returned and I decided better not. Although...

This morning I thought I'd better get some blue on Johnny the bomb aimer ready for his the scratched Mae West. Dry brushed (first time for that too) the lighter flesh and on with the H96 thinned with W&N flow improver. Did one more and then too shaky (I need tea!) so stopped at this for now:

6C377989-D42A-46A4-840C-79BE5DF2F5A5_zps

As Beard says, that 'scar' does look a bit like a scarf... I wonder what colour it would have been... :mental:

• Like 6

As Beard says, that 'scar' does look a bit like a scarf... I wonder what colour it would have been... :mental:

White?

I know nothing of 'Green Stuff' but I do know that Milliput can be rolled into thin sheets and made into coats and trousers and... well, any kind of clothing.

Of course, that would be madness.

• Like 2

White?

I know nothing of 'Green Stuff' but I do know that Milliput can be rolled into thin sheets and made into coats and trousers and... well, any kind of clothing.

Of course, that would be madness.

Yes complete madness! You would never get them off once they dry.... you nutter!

Rob

• Like 5

Simon and Rob - what a double act! :D

Welcome back to the mad house. I bought some Green Stuff from the local Games Workshop - only cost me an arm and a leg... well £7, but the guys on the web suggest this initial 'investment' and, if you get on with it, buy it from eBay in big tubes. I've watched YouTube tutorials and they say 'have water available to prevent sticking' so:

F52D3687-E240-418C-A0AD-69EAD59BCC37_zps

Tamiya paint stirrer and some tool of torture Mrs B bought for me ages ago so I could push back my cuticles - she knows I'm not a masochist but apparently "it makes your nails look better". Not for me, thanks Darling! Despite PC's comment on naming the figures I'm going to continue as it will be obvious to anyone who's read this far that it's far too late to stop now... too late, too LATE I TELL YOU :evil_laugh:

So Johnny's ready to have his Mae West applied. The life vest type unfortunately. Advice says don't mix up too much so I cut off just a tiny, tiny bit, wet my fingers, kneaded it until it was green and flattened it on my work mat. I then trimmed it a bit and wrapped it around Johnny's neck:

B6A6F682-2815-4513-BECA-0FA3AC5C89A7_zps43E19AD7-808C-4229-AC74-3BCA77C0B99E_zps

OK so far. ish. Then followed a period of intense prodding with wet tools but it still wanted to stick to the tool rather than the figure. Then it tore. Then I lost it a bit and reverted to some choice Anglo-Saxon. It was at this point that I'm sure Johnny shook his head a little. Insane, it's official.

125FB5E7-1A9E-406D-8BB5-AAE85BC726CD_zps

Calm, calm. I took it off, rolled it back into the rest and started again. This time, prodding with then end of a wet cocktail stick and then smoothing with a wet sewing machine needle gave me an acceptable result:

DAC9C0DD-4C71-4EC9-B516-F775DAE7B08C_zps

That's it boys, ENOUGH!! I shall have wine tonight, probably.

• Like 11

If I had said '1/72nd scale clothing', would that make it any less insane?

No more likes I'm afraid! So I like this! And no I suppose it's wouldn't.... Would have ruined my punch line though

Rob

• Like 2

Also second what Jon said... Very funny.

Ced cracking work, it looks the business. You are also giving us all a lesson on how to keep at it, perservence! This is also a kit that is well detailed so to see you adding to that is delightful

Rob

• Like 2

Ced, Bravo Sir.

Amblypygid you win the Internet for today, and very possibly the innuendo game for ever. Not only did I LOL, I very nearly ROFL

Thanks, but the credit really is due to Ced, who set it up so professionally!

• Like 3

Thanks, but the credit really is due to Ced, who set it up so professionally!

a sign of a good player that! Not only can they deliver the goods themselves they support the team to the same standard. .... what a chap

Rob

• Like 2

Thanks Amblypygid, not in my wildest dreams!* :) Congratulations on the 06/24 internet award too and happy to have set it up, somehow!! As Rob says, proper chap :)

Thanks Jon, Rob and Simon and everyone else who has stuck with me on this last phase - perhaps it should have been a different thread in a figure painting forum - but now it's done!! Here's the completed crew including Johnny with his white scar(f):

DD16A93A-4054-4A35-AF45-E9FD7F0DDAE6_zpsC9EA84AE-3BB9-4410-BC2D-F5DFEE3067B6_zps

At last! I can see why Stew used a darker brown in his crew (thanks again Stew) as the H62 leather stated in the instructions isn't a very good contrast to the 'ratskin flesh'. Oh well. I've also noticed that some of the crew aren't wearing their harnesses (painted H26), the scamps, so I've painted them in by hand. Hmmm.

Now, where was I... building a Lancaster? Really? I'd better read the instructions again.

* One of my mates gave a speech at his 30th anniversary party that included the following: "I said to my wife this morning 'Darling, in your wildest dreams would you have thought you'd be celebrating a 30th Anniversary with me? And in your wildest dreams did you ever think we'd have gathered so many old friends to help us celebrate?'. She looked at me and said 'Neil, you're not in my wildest dreams'". Classic. :)

• Like 7

Thanks Simon... tartan scarf... a muffled titter ran around the room * :)

Just for a break this afternoon I attacked the rear turret, drilled holes in the floor and joined them up with a nano saw. Trimmed to a nice square with a 10A the rear gunner now fits:

53F6821B-B801-4D37-A6FE-DCA02C4FF81A_zpsEDC5B74D-CD67-4CA5-8631-BA6D902D04B3_zps

I may have to shave his back a bit - minor surgery.

* ​In my youf my friends and I used to do an impression of a 'muffled titter running around the room' by covering our mouths with one hand and running around with the other hand outstretched and clasping an imaginary bosom. Puerile. Fortunately the phrase has mostly fallen into misuse and I've grown up. Mostly.

• Like 5

* ​In my youf my friends and I used to do an impression of a 'muffled titter running around the room' by covering our mouths with one hand and running around with the other hand outstretched and clasping an imaginary bosom. Puerile. Fortunately the phrase has mostly fallen into misuse and I've grown up. Mostly.

Trust you'll demonstrate at Duxford.

• Like 3

Thanks Simon... tartan scarf... a muffled titter ran around the room * :)

Just for a break this afternoon I attacked the rear turret, drilled holes in the floor and joined them up with a nano saw. Trimmed to a nice square with a 10A the rear gunner now fits:

53F6821B-B801-4D37-A6FE-DCA02C4FF81A_zpsEDC5B74D-CD67-4CA5-8631-BA6D902D04B3_zps

I may have to shave his back a bit - minor surgery.

I think it's his bum that needs shaving.

• Like 2

EDC5B74D-CD67-4CA5-8631-BA6D902D04B3_zps

"Does my bum loo big in this?"

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one! OK, admittedly I didn't try very hard.

Martin

Lovely work on the crew Ced, I second the motion for "Rupert Bear" Tartan Troos and a scarf for Johnnie J. :wicked::whistle::sorry:

Thanks Julian! It's a good job I don't take you guys too seriously... you're not serious are you??!! :)

Trust you'll demonstrate at Duxford.

In public??!! I think there's probably some sort of law against it nowadays... :)

I think it's his bum that needs shaving.

Isn't waxing better? Perhaps we should avoid the bad language? Ouch! That clip always makes me laugh A LOT! :D

OH no.. Not shaving Ryans privates.....

The crew are looking great Ced.

Nice work. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simon.

Thanks Simon - shaving Ryan's Privates... very clever :D

"Does my bum loo big in this?"

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one! OK, admittedly I didn't try very hard.

Martin

Yes it does. Another thing not to say to your wife :D

Just letting you guys watch something while I do a bit on the Hurri. And have a rest :)

• Like 1

What a thread!!, innuendo, naughty words, fine figure painting with a bit of non oob additions,

brilliant, nearly wet myself with the new guys post, why are we here anyway??

Sean

Thankfully this is the first time you haven't provided a link for a "film" mentioned in your thread

• Like 2

The figures look good although, perhaps, the bomb aimer should be wearing the tartan scarf his mother knitted for him?

Simon do you have the number for that paint in Tamyia?... Can't find it anywhere.

Ced the figures are brilliant and to do so many is quite a feet!

The wife's response is a classic and one mine would have slapped me with in the same way!

Rob

• Like 1

Simon do you have the number for that paint in Tamyia?... Can't find it anywhere.

Rob

Rob,

It's kept with the striped paint. Ask at stores, some-one there will be glad to help.

Oh, and could you get me a sky hook while you're there?

• Like 2