Dambuster 'T Tommy' Airfix 1/72

What a thread!!, innuendo, naughty words, fine figure painting with a bit of non oob additions,

brilliant, nearly wet myself with the new guys post, why are we here anyway??

Sean

Thankfully this is the first time you haven't provided a link for a "film" mentioned in your thread

Thanks Sean, we aim to keep you (all) entertained! :)

If the 'film' I missed the link to is 'Saving Private Ryan' then I'm going nowhere near it... IMHO a great example of 'just because you can doesn't mean you should'. Far too close to reality for my tastes and I still have occasional flashbacks to some of the more cold blooded scenes. Shudder.

To lighten the mood, which 'new guys post'? amblypygid's? Made me laugh too :)

Simon do you have the number for that paint in Tamyia?... Can't find it anywhere.

Ced the figures are brilliant and to do so many is quite a feet!

The wife's response is a classic and one mine would have slapped me with in the same way!

Rob

Rob,

It's kept with the striped paint. Ask at stores, some-one there will be glad to help.

Oh, and could you get me a sky hook while you're there?

Thanks Rob and (teaser) Simon... Rob why don't you ask for some elbow grease while you're at it? (Thought I had a pic of some but can't find it now). And I'm sure you'll get a long weight if you ask for one too (that doesn't work written down does it?) :D

Great detail work on the crew, Ced :goodjob:

Congrats!

Jaime

Thanks Jaime. The Citadel stuff really helped, even with my small skill set - the wash really seems to make the faces come alive. Thanks again to Stew for the step by step.

Where's the exercise bike then?

Hi John, LoL :D (new readers of my madness - see rambling Bombay build for details)

That did make me think again about the missing figure and scratching up an Elsan. But the thought of more bottom references has definitely send that one down the pan (see what I did there?) :)

Spending a bit of time on the Hurri for the BoB GB but I may close up later (bit of jeopardy to keep you interested!!??)

• Like 1

As promised a bit of test f.. f.. fitting - almost drove me mad(der)!!

The Defiant crew have th best detail so they've been used for the pilot and engineer with the supplied pilot demoted to Nav:

B23A95F6-0420-4652-AFEC-53A273E53CC6_zpsC9D7077C-536A-4E66-9A6F-0ED7E9F5FF4E_zps

0241F756-7B9B-4C58-AE13-0BF960595017_zps11A03E15-80DD-407B-8E3B-A943DFACC4CF_zps

What the...!! I think I need to do research into the front gunner position, or fit a sun roof. Something very wrong there.

The highlight of the evening though was dry-fitting Johnny:

5BE9374C-A5F8-42E8-B97B-2476814FDFC4_zps66A528FD-D7CD-4739-972D-F2E55C27F0C4_zps

I think that's going to work out. Bombsight bracket? What bombsight bracket? Another good reason to test fit rather than over-think; it had to come out. Sorry about the pics - 1/72 and iPhone don't mix... perhaps I should look for a second hand DSLR.

p.s. the gunners are currently having a 'who's got the biggest bottom' competition :)

• Like 9

The ex-Defiant crew look great and so does Johnny.

How about some liposuction, with a file, on the gunner's ample bottom or cutting him in half removing the thickness of the turret base from his middle and sticking him back together?

Edited by Beard
  • Like 1

Thanks Sean, we aim to keep you (all) entertained! :)

If the 'film' I missed the link to is 'Saving Private Ryan' then I'm going nowhere near it... IMHO a great example of 'just because you can doesn't mean you should'. Far too close to reality for my tastes and I still have occasional flashbacks to some of the more cold blooded scenes. Shudder.

To lighten the mood, which 'new guys post'? amblypygid's? Made me laugh too :)

Thanks Rob and (teaser) Simon... Rob why don't you ask for some elbow grease while you're at it? (Thought I had a pic of some but can't find it now). And I'm sure you'll get a long weight if you ask for one too (that doesn't work written down does it?) :D

Thanks Jaime. The Citadel stuff really helped, even with my small skill set - the wash really seems to make the faces come alive. Thanks again to Stew for the step by step.

Hi John, LoL :D (new readers of my madness - see rambling Bombay build for details)

That did make me think again about the missing figure and scratching up an Elsan. But the thought of more bottom references has definitely send that one down the pan (see what I did there?) :)

Spending a bit of time on the Hurri for the BoB GB but I may close up later (bit of jeopardy to keep you interested!!??)

Rob,

It's kept with the striped paint. Ask at stores, some-one there will be glad to help.

Oh, and could you get me a sky hook while you're there?

Right chaps I have everything on the list! Took some looking that's for sure!! But you were right, very helpful staff! Turns out it was next to the chocolate teapots and inflatable dart boards..... I now have a house full of useful things!

Ced they look spot on, true the gunner needs some ummmmmm adjustments!? But nothing that can't be fettled with! Top work.

Rob

• Like 2

Morning all!

The ex-Defiant crew look great and so does Johnny.
How about some liposuction, with a file, on the gunner's ample bottom or cutting him in half removing the thickness of the turret base from his middle and sticking him back together?

Thanks Simon! I had a quick search through Johnny's book (one benefit of eBooks) and he says, when describing their first look around the new Lancs, "They had fitted special stirrups for [Ron] to rest his feet in so that he wasn't constantly kicking me in the back.". That's it then... my scratch skills aren't up to stirrups so it's going to be 'off with his legs!". Sorry Ron :)

Right chaps I have everything on the list! Took some looking that's for sure!! But you were right, very helpful staff! Turns out it was next to the chocolate teapots and inflatable dart boards..... I now have a house full of useful things!

Ced they look spot on, true the gunner needs some ummmmmm adjustments!? But nothing that can't be fettled with! Top work.

Rob

Well done Rob! Looking forward to seeing the tartan paint - just make sure you don't put it on upside down :)

i shall, of course, share my fettling with you!

Looking good mate

Thanks Jon :)

What next Ced? a "dry fitting Johnny" ?

They look the part mate, but the gunners look a nightmare to fit...

Simon.

Thanks Simon :)

Looks fantastic with the crew fitted Ced, it will certainly look the part when you seal the fuselage up with the crew in position :goodjob:

Thanks Julian :)

Today I'll be painting up the fiddly black bits ready for assembly of the turrets et al. I'll double check the instructions but I don't think there's anything stopping me closing up while they're drying. Could be a productive day!

Good lord Ced, you've put a lot of work into this. I really like the crew. Keep up the good work. Joe

• Like 1

Good lord Ced, you've put a lot of work into this. I really like the crew. Keep up the good work. Joe

Thanks Joe and welcome! :)

Too be fair Ced, the kit's turrets weren't designed to be crewed and the pilots weren't designed to fit in them, so cutting his legs off is the best option.

You're right of course Simon - crew figures seem to be a continual problem don't they? Oh well, legs off it is! :)

Fitting the turrets is one of the last stages so we won't be seeing the gunners for a while - time for them to diet and exercise - shame there are no bikes in the Lanc!

Ouch! Gives the concept of doing one's bit a whole new dimension.

Hi Mike, has to be done! :)

Slow progress today as I've been doing a careful step-by-step close up after fitting the 'special' belly gun and top turret blanking plate. Of course I'm now paranoid that I'll knock the gun off so I've stuck a ring from the middle of a tape roll over the thing:

6825DF81-EF29-491F-BCFD-4FA32A190CCF_zpsF4E3417F-7D85-4F8D-89A9-5ECEA8403999_zps

The joins are pretty good so far but there is a bit of warping, hence the step-by-step and the odd clamp placement - hopefully it'll hold while the Tamiya Extra Thin does its job.

Off to friends tonight so probably no more until tomorrow. Thanks for looking :)

• Like 7

Really impressed by how this is coming together, and not your normal fair with all the additions. You are really making me want to start mine (didn't help that it fell on me today out of the cupboard... Really need a new spot for it, that's me and the wife nobbled by it)

Also need to get some clamps

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Stew - negotiations are underway! :)

Thanks Julian - I'm hoping it's going to be worth it!

Thanks Rob - yes, get yours out! Fnaar fnaar :)

Had a few minutes to struggle with what I think is warping - there's nothing 'inside' that would push up one side. Here's a close up and how the Berna clamps came to the rescue:

1BFE4D89-77F3-4098-948D-A943C870DA23_zps13D47575-FA07-4AAD-A28E-A8B3807483DC_zps

At one point I was trying to hold the thing still until the glue set - true madness! Drying now, must get ready to go out!!

Oh, I've also assembled the front turret plastic so that I can paint the turret internals ready for the 'slimmed down' gunners.

• Like 8

Hi Jaime. They're 'Berna' clamps and I love them... I have four small ones and one large one, the only difference being the length of the carbon fibre rod. Some people say they're reasonably expensive but I think they're worth it!

There is a thread on BM here where Dr Berna himself responded to some negative comments. I guess he's using a translation site of some sort and he's obviously passionate about his product. For me I like the ability to apply precise pressure, easily - I position the 'jaws' carefully and gently squeeze the arms near the jaw end. Too much pressure, or misaligned / twisted clamps will cause the clamp to twist off but this doesn't happen very often, with practice. They also very light so easier to handle than ratchet clamps (I have two of those as well!!) You'll see them in most of my builds so I'm obviously a fan!

• Like 1

Morning all (just!)

Final part of the close up due this morning so I needed to make sure I could 'manipulate' Johnny through the front and top - looks fine, except Johnny's thrown his hand in, literally:

2A6A6575-8906-473B-971F-06633AABF15C_zpsCFDEFF35-F47B-482E-90B8-1E494BD3DEC8_zps

Out with the Gator's grip... at least it's given me the chance to adjust his hand to a less, er, compromising pose.

I was really pleased (again) that I'd used latex glue on the bomb bay end as this was causing a problem. Ripped it off* and a bit of sanding has now given me a nice neat join on the bottom*. Still a problem 'vertically' lining up the halves in front of the canopy without locating pins but the Bernas will help me sort that:

D38C92A2-1C99-4DE0-B186-3E33B5E1466A_zps

This will be a good test of the Berna's jaw material as I'm sure I will have got some glue on there... they're supposed to be 'resilient' to glues but fingers crossed.

Filling and sanding next and painting black bits - I think I'll spray the bomb bay and the other bits in one go so time to cut my parts off and stick them to some cocktail sticks. *

* Dbl-E, score 1, fnaar fnaar

• Like 6

Hi CedB, am catching up with this thread and build, getting some great pointers for when I get to build mine. You mentioned that the front gunners legs dangled. In the film it is covered by creating some stirrups, presume like horse riding ones, to keep them clear. Am guessing you've given poor Ronald a double amputation by now