Fairey Fulmar 1:48 MPM ............. progress....its not a dirty word!

Good Morning all from a particularly soggy Nova Scotia,

I have been erring on doing this as a WIP for ages. I initially intended to do this as a quick build along with my Skua and therefore didn't bother with a WIP and didn't take any phots of the initial build. But then whilst I was whittling the wings a touch they just shattered in my hand, fortunately they seemed to shatter along certain convenient panel lines so what could I do with this lay out I wonder? :hmmm::

100_3559_zpsj9yjlr2t.jpg

Jiggle the parts around a bit :whistle: and hey presto!

100_3560_zpskorpqxdm.jpg

A WIP is reborn! I am going to skirt around the airframe build and just show what has been done so far, the main crux if the WIP will be the wing fold. First up pics of the cockpit. I have used the Eduard self adhesive etch as an extra. Kit detail is ok in this scale but the etch does add more to it although after a couple of years in the stash they aren't quite self adhesive anymore - apart from when they interact with human tissue of course!:

100_3573_zpsjgrucynt.jpg

100_3572_zpsuaqvcrzd.jpg

And now the Observers station (see I have been paying attention to other posts!). I also added some wiring looms between some of the instruments. Not highly visible but I know they are there!

100_3577_zpswbck9xrn.jpg

100_3579_zpsdpajhi4u.jpg

100_3581_zpstj6bwcs7.jpg

Not too sure about the oxygen bottles in the back. The moulding was very clunky and the parts weren't cast very square (or round) so after whittling they aren't too great. I may pop them out later and redoo. It depends on what they look like under the canopy. The Obs seat is yet to be fitted.

I also opened up the cannons on the wing and inserted some brass tube, not quite the right calibre but it will do!

100_3594_zps1yyofwou.jpg

100_3595_zpsvrgpmxml.jpg

And in situ:

100_3566_zpsbecqjv4r.jpg

And also the wheel wells

100_3582_zpso9qgy15f.jpg

Next up I shall start detailing the wing fold build up

More coming very soon!

Cheers now

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 8

Hi Ant, fill yer boots and welcome along, don't get too excited though my WIP may be rather slow as at the moment I can only knock out an hour or two a night if I am lucky. I shall do my best however to get it moving as quick as possible. So onto the wing fold. I have several references for this. I have the 4+ and Warpaint books thanks to some kind fellow BMers which provide a good bit of information and detail but no alot in the fold area. I will also use the Prime Portal site which has some good reference shots

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason5/fulmar_ii_n1854/

and also our own BM walkaround, this was also good but not great in the area of the locks and hinges but thanks to Julien, who must have sensed my worries posted some good detail shots of the area :thumbsup:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234948196-fairey-fulmar/

As far as I know there is only one example of a Fulmar and that is a Mk2 in the FAA museum. My build will be a Mk1 but I will assume (I know it will make an bottom of u and me!) the fold area will be same. OK so first off I cut the wings at the fold lines before joining the parts together. I also cut out the ailerons and the latch area on the upper surface where it clips into the tail plane, the latter was blanked off with plastic card. I then joined the various parts together. This is a little tricky as it is quite difficult to get the right thickness so it looks right. This was done by inserting plastic shims to get the right dimensions. I then smoothed off the edges, I wasn't too bothered about taking alot of the edges off as I decided to 'build up the details' as opposed to try to recess them. I then glued plastic card to box the components in and then trimmed to fit, this is how it looks now:

100_3571_zpsclpzuo4p.jpg

100_3564_zpsmv1xvlsr.jpg

I also boxed in the landing light as this was deviod of detail, but I have a feeling on the real thing it is not boxed in so a touch of artistic lisence there (won't be the last time!)

100_3561_zpsak8dekgu.jpg

Forward Nav lights recess was also boxed in but this may need a bit more thinning, you can also see the tail latch recess

100_3565_zpsms0bvvyt.jpg

This is the flap area and main wing boxed in, There are alot of cut outs in this area but I thought the easy option would be to box it in and then chop out the areas as opposed to trying to get it right on the desk and then fit it:

100_3567_zpswsmddxfh.jpg

The ailerons were joined and then smoothed enough so they would fit comforably with a slight droop. The droop is required as they would hit the fuselage otherwise, these were then capped off:

100_3564_zpsmv1xvlsr.jpg

When I first thought of this project I chose to do the wing fold as it looked very basic, it is still basic but not that basic! In 1:72 you could get away with leaving it as is but this scale it would look strange. I started mapping out the rivet lines and stiffeners on the fold faces and then worked on the prominent pipe that splits at an angle. I found a cotton bud tube was a good size so chopped that off and inserted it. Unfortunately it is a little flimsy and has since fell out. I took note of this for the other side and beefed it up a bit from the back. The framing is from thin plastic card. I have 2mm wide strips that will form most of the details.

100_3563_zps7x0jv69k.jpg

Thats the progress so far on the left outer wing, Next will be the inner wing and then we will almost be caught up!

Before I go a note on scale. As I have chosen to add detail instead of recessing it I will invariably increase the length of the wing. I don't know how accurate the original wing length is but I will add around and extra 2-3mm. It doesn't sound much but that works out about 6" either side on the real thing. As the aircraft is folded I don't think it will be as noticeable and I can live with that, but thats where artistic license comes into play once again! I did ponder on shortening the wings to take this into account but if I did that I would never finish this thing!

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 3

Hiya Bob,

You are doing a superb job so far, I like your attention to detail and craftsmanship and I`m looking forward to seeing it finished with its wings tucked up,

Keep up the great work,

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Thanks Tony, welcome along!

This is my current update of where I got to last night. Just a little bit of tinkering. I turned my attention to the inner portion of the left wing and I'll start with the forward section. This area is not flush and is recessed a couple of cm's. To achieve this I used my strip plastic to do the overhang and then I shall reinforce that with triangular bits to represent the framing under neath. I fitted the strip very slightly proud and used copious amounts of glue to stick it in. My intention is then to sand down the outside flush with the wing surface. I did try this with aluminium shim but the CA i used to attach it wasnt strong enough, that would have given me a nice scale thickness but alas there was nothing to attach it to.

100_3570_zpspxarwq2m.jpg

100_3568_zpslgt0w3hc.jpg

I have also penciled in the rough area for the locking mechanism lever as you can see above.

For the root area I was hoping that this would be a simple straight cut and box but alas no, as you can see above to follows a squiggly panel line on the upper surface. This makes it alot more difficule to box in as the shape is quite complex. I achieved this with thinner card and alot of patience. There is a little gap in there as well which also needs filling. Disclaimer alert! I haven't got a decent picture of this area so I don't know if this is solid or what, so I am going for solid until someone says otherwise. It'll be alot easier to remove plastic than to build up. And personally I dont think too much of this area will be seen.

Back to the outer wing, I started to cut out and build up some of the locking mechanism,

100_3596_zpsk59b0zar.jpg

This is what it is meant to be like (courtesey of the BM walkaround):

fuljd14_zps9tj5seny.jpg

I think it is too close to the edge of the inner corner, but this was due to the position of that cut off pipe below which looked ok but may not be quite accurate (and is no longer attached!). For now I am going to attempt to build it up as is. I need a couple of rollers in there and then a bit of whittling down to make it a bit more convincing.

Last up for now are the fold up portion of the rear wing. As I said I had cut this out the fuselage area and had to replicate this on the wing. I used thin plastic cut and rolled to give this effect:

100_3597_zpszswcfjsl.jpg

Not too bad, and in a spread condition it almost looks convincing, but needs a touch more shaping. I will then do some framework under the skin. The forward boxed in bit needs extensive work but that is for a later date.

100_3600_zpsx4dsulpq.jpg

• Like 7

I too have the Eduard reissue of this and plan to build mine with folded wings - so it looks as though you're the guinea pig, Bob!

The wing fold was definitely the same for both Mark 1 & Mark 2; the main difference was the engine (Mark 1 = Merlin VIII, Mark 2 = Merlin XXX), plus the Mark 2 had an extra centre line hard point underneath for drop tank or bomb. The only visible difference was two (?) carburettor air intakes, one on either side of the nose, which weren't there on the Mark 1. The Fulmar in the FAA Museum was the Mark 1 prototype, later converted to Mark 2 - and then civilianised as Fairey's company "hack", before Fairey gave it to the Museum in the 60s.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

Was the wing of the Fulmar really that thick ?

I gather it was, the kit wing was built up by building the inner wing section first and using how that fits against the fuselage as a guide, which is quite rigid in how it fits. The rest of the wing was built up using that part to align the rest of the wing. It is surprising how thick and chunky the wing sections are, especially on carrier aircraft.

This looks like it's going to be great, I'm watching!

Welcome along and fill yer boots as well :winkgrin:

I too have the Eduard reissue of this and plan to build mine with folded wings - so it looks as though you're the guinea pig, Bob!

The wing fold was definitely the same for both Mark 1 & Mark 2; the main difference was the engine (Mark 1 = Merlin VIII, Mark 2 = Merlin XXX), plus the Mark 2 had an extra centre line hard point underneath for drop tank or bomb. The only visible difference was two (?) carburettor air intakes, one on either side of the nose, which weren't there on the Mark 1. The Fulmar in the FAA Museum was the Mark 1 prototype, later converted to Mark 2 - and then civilianised as Fairey's company "hack", before Fairey gave it to the Museum in the 60s.

I thought I had read that was the case somewhere, so if I ignore the side carbs it can be classed as quite accurate then, which is a relief! Happy to be your Guinea pig, I own a guinea pig and all she does is eat sleep and scream for more food from the wife! sounds like a decent life LOL! Will be interesting to see another perspective on this when you get round to it.

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 2

I had hoped to have an update today, especially as we had a holiday yesterday, but that holiday being Canada Day and the sun shining and the fridge being stocked up with beer and footy in the evening (unlucky Lionesses, soooo close!) meant that not alot was achieved in the plastic construction department. Hopefully I'll find some time over the next couple of days in between my lads footy games and practice and my work and 'chores' :frantic:

Cheers now and wondering where the time is going!

Bob

An update, an update, my kindom for an update!

Oh very well, here we go, after a week of soccer, chores and other menial stuff I managed to actually get some work done. I looked at the locking mechanism on the aircraft side of things and set about replicating that. My problem is to get the recessed effect in the locking lever as you can see below from the BM walkaround:

***Mods am I OK to copy and paste straight from BM walkarounds?**

fuljd16.JPG

I first sta5rted off with a piece of square section plastic and engraved out a slot using files and a 'P cutter'. I did this whilst it was still straight and then bent it to shape and fixed it in

100_3601_zps9yxri3vc.jpg

I left the underside slightly proud so I could smooth it to the correct contour rather than trying to mould it exactly to the wing underside as below:\

100_3602_zpszef963bg.jpg

Everything was over thickness and slightly oversize at this stage so that I could reduce it when dry. Once dry it was out with the wet n dry and was given a good rub down. It was at this stage I realised I had almost obliterated the recessed detail so then tried to re-do it but as it was on a curve I screwed it up totally. I also didnt like th look of it so whipped it off and tried a different approach.

This time I fitted in the solid pieces at either end. I then joined it at the bottom with a strip of plastic, then applied a suitably shaped plastic rod and topped it with another strip of plastic (hope that makes sense!) and this was the end piece:

100_3610_zpsjklaxpy1.jpg

I still have to whittle it down a touch and then we shall see where that leaves us.

I also started work on the flap section to wing area. There is quite a bit to cut out so using the Prime Portal as a reference I started chopping it all away. I did look at using the Airwaves 1:72 fold etch as a template but it is not as accurate. They have the triangular cut outs going all the way accross whereas the example in FAA museum is only part of the way, anyway this is what I ended up with:

100_3603_zpsedpjhjy5.jpg

Needs a little tarting up but not looking too bad........untill I noticed that you can see right inside the wing which is devoid of detail and is now sealed up!!!! I trialed it together to see what will be seen and frankly it isn't too much:

100_3604_zpsyc3ark9x.jpg

I may put in a little detail on the lower wing that can be visible but that will probably be all. I drilled out a load of lightening holes on the flap assy and will put in some framing on the forward edge. I think I will use aluminium shim for this area as it does need to look very thin.

100_3605_zpsdoeq3xvy.jpg

Finally I did a bit of work to the wing side locking mechanism. I thinned down some of the casting and fitted some rod to represent the rollers, not much can be seen but a bit of paint in the right areas should sort it out.

100_3608_zpsifdoprtf.jpg

All in all it is going well, just trying not to make everything look too overscale! Next up more whittling but I just recieved notice that I have a Canadian Citizenship test next week so need to study to pass that, then I can become a proper Canadian eh? At least they did give me 6 days notice :frantic:

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 4

Great stuff - there's going to be some blatant plagiarism when I round to building mine, I can assure you! (If someone else has done the research and made it look this good, it would be just rude not to follow, wouldn't it?)

• Like 1

Great stuff - there's going to be some blatant plagiarism when I round to building mine, I can assure you! (If someone else has done the research and made it look this good, it would be just rude not to follow, wouldn't it?)

You fill yer boots! Not often I'm a trailblazer!

More updates now!

I removed some of the moulded detail from the flap assemblies and replaced it with something more 3d with wire and shim stock:

100_3611_zpsd8sxloyj.jpg

I also reckon that I have finished with the outer wing so that was coated with an initial primer coat to pick up any flaws that may need a bit more whittling down (of which there happens to be a few!)

100_3612_zps1uw7mjvf.jpg

100_3613_zpslvgvlhl1.jpg

Next for that will be to tidy it up and fit the lights and light fairings and then prepare for top coat!

Back to the flap assemblies, I built up the forward edge, looking through Prime Portal this showed a good shot of the area and it is very busy

http://data4.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason5/fulmar_ii_n1854/images/fulmar_ii_n1854_07_of_33.jpg

So I did my best with a bit of shim stock, plastic card and square section plastic.

100_3615_zpszfzebehm.jpg

The ribs should have lightening holes in them but I didnt want to muck them up so I have left them out, Although if it bugs me enough I may come back to it! So again that will need a tidy, splash of primer and then I can see where I am. I still have the other side to detail, but my next target will be the under nose radiator area before I hit the other wing. I want to get all parts sorted and then spray in one go rather than completely finish one part and then move on. My intention is to finish her with the high level sky/grey design, similar to my Skua.

100_3445_zpsz35hojxl.jpg

The colours were mixed and I think they look fine, what is the opinion out there? Best to let me know early before I slap any paint on :thumbsup:

Head back in the books now!

Bob

• Like 4

The Skua is a thing of beauty!

Now there's a sentence you don't see very often! (But indeed it is).

The test of scratch-building under primer, for me, is whether is still looks home made when painted. Your Fulmar wing passes with flying colours!

• Like 1

A tiny bit of progress this week. After priming the parts were tidied up and given another coat of primer. I started work on the outer wing lighting fixtures and over the next day or so they will be closed up. I think there will be quite a bit of whittling down due to the way I built up the backings but that shouldn't be a problem. Anyway here is the lastest stage:

100_3621_zps08pv7rpo.jpg

The recess was painted aluminium and the light fixture backing also painted ally then overpaited in black to give the lamp effect. It also has an etch cover and some wiring added to represent the real thing a bit more.

My only concern at the moment are the lightening holes because to me they look a little flat and lifeless, like just holes instead of the 3d effect of the real thing. I'm not sure how to approach that, if indeed you think it needs anything doing to them. Feed back gratefully accepted!

Thats all for now folks!

Bob