Building the Special Hobby Grumman Guardian

roginoz

Having closed up the fuselage with all the various bits 'n' bobs, I was alarmed to discover a lonely looking instrument panel assembly still sitting on the workbench.

A look at the instructions showed no mention of installation of this important piece, but obviously it should have gone in with the aforementioned bits 'n'bobs.

I'm sure most members of this site would see this as blindingly obvious, but for those who, like me, naively expect instructions to…..errr…..instruct, perhaps a notation on P3 of the instruction sheet might serve as a reminder.

Anyway, just a bit of a heads-up.

Cheers,

Rog

I managed to fit mine afterwards. I not sure how far into the build you are, but a couple of things to be aware of,the 5 inch rockets are awkward as the holes on the fin assy are to small and need to be drilled out as well as to holes in the main wheels

also be careful with the decals, they are very thin and require careful application, otherwise they work extremely well with no setting solution needed.

it looks the part when finished, although separate control surfaces would have been nice and perhaps lowered flaps. no provision for open bomb bay, but good refs are virtually non existent ( unless anyone knows different)

enjoy the build.

ps I have already ordered a second and backorded decals from caracal!

rogerd

I, too, managed to fit mine afterwards, having to split the now ell glued fuz, with only minor damage that a bit of filler, drying as I post, will fix.

Thanks for the advice about the rocket mountings. I make a point of drilling all similar fixtures, even those shown as mere pimples in the plastic.

I,too, heard derogatory comment about the decals, and have the Caracel decals on order.

As you say, good references are hard to find, surprising for so [relatively] recent an aircraft, especially as I'm given to believe that some still find service as fire bombers.

We seem to be "of a mind" regarding the anomalies of this build……... :cheers:

Rog

An amazing conversion of the S-H Grumman Guardian kit into one of the early prototypes:

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=14143&p=albums&album=22605

There are 175 photos in this build gallery - the finished model starts at photo 156. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Bill

1 thing I forgot, its easier to install the landing gear legs before glueing the wing halves together - without adhesive as the mounting points sit in recess on the wheel bay. trying to fit the legs afterwards is a bit of a nightmare

enjoy

Rogerd